IWB while driving - Page 2

IWB while driving

This is a discussion on IWB while driving within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pete I'm going to get flamed for this but today I went out with a holster and decided it wasn't working for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB while driving

jpk
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm going to get flamed for this but today I went out with a holster and decided it wasn't working for me (printing too much).
    So I put my gun through my belt to the left of the buckle - about 11 o'clock. Just stuck it between the belt and my pants.

Felt good, real good, stayed put and was right there while I was driving.

I'm not going to make a habit of it but it worked...
    Pete, something to consider when driving is what would happen if you were in an accident. If you were to have a pistol tucked into the FRONT of your torso in an accident where your seatbelt was put under considerable force you would stand a much greater chance of injury (Broken Pelvis, Ribs, Internal Organ Damage etc).

Even worse if somehow you were able to tolerate a CCW in the back of the belt you would likely suffer spinal injury.

I suspect the safest location for a Driver is going to the the Right Hip because if you were t-boned in the L Drivers Door with a CCW on the L Hip (Cross Draw if you're a righty) then the impact stands a good chance of tranferring directly to your pelvis. At least if its on the R Hip on the INTERIOR of the car you stand a decreased chance of the gun hurting you due to direct or indirect impact.
    Folks want to carry in order to keep themselves from harm but we also should consider other worst case scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    ratmam57, which UBG holster are you using?
    These days it's called a Canute. Great holster. It took me awhile to appreciate it though.

Ron
    If I am going to be in my car for a long drive, I have found it more comfortable to take my gun out of my holster and put it in the console between the front seats. I have never found IWB carry tolerable for long drives, and, in the console, it is almost as readily available as it would be in a holster while driving.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

IWB holster

I really like my Crossbreed holster, it is the tuckable model. I wear it driving all the time. I have it canted as far as possible and could reach it while seatbelted if need be. It has to be in just the right spot to be comfortable, which is not a problem because it stays put very well.

Jim

IWB

I tried a bunch of IWB holsters and thought they were all junk. On the Sig Forum and 1911 Forum that I view, they were praising the Milt Sparks VM2. Everything I read praised the VM2, so being a believer in almost nothing, I went out on the limb last year. I ordered four of the VM2's in horsehide and 2 of Sparks' 55BNH holsters, 2 of his dual mag carriers, and 2 6P light carriers. One day short of 6 months, they show up. Well after almost a year of using them, all I can say is WOW. Great is not even close. The VM2H is unbelievable when it comes to comfort. A solid 10 without a doubt.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I use the Fist ultra thin kydex IWB for my 642. I wear it at right front (appendix carry) and hardly know it's there. The k-8 is tuckable and you can adjust the cant if you want. It's great for vehicle carry. I got the keychain option and traded out the ring for a black clip. I was carrying the other day in a store looking for another clip to put on my holster and the woman at the register asked"you mean something like that ring on your belt ?"and reached over and touched it. She didn't have a clue it was a holster she thought it was a keychain.

The option is at the bottom of the web link.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K8.htm
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

FWIW, I drive everyday wearing a CTAC while sitting in bucket seats.

I find Gary Brommeland's Max Con V www.brommelandgunleather.com to be very comfortable after a long day in the seat. It is also one of the premier holsters on the market.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I find Gary Brommeland's Max Con V www.brommelandgunleather.com to be very comfortable after a long day in the seat. It is also one of the premier holsters on the market.
    Absolutely. I just slide my rig an inch or so forward when I get in the car and I'm good for the trip.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If I am going to be in my car for a long drive, I have found it more comfortable to take my gun out of my holster and put it in the console between the front seats. I have never found IWB carry tolerable for long drives, and, in the console, it is almost as readily available as it would be in a holster while driving.

Ron
    I just couldn't get myself to keep the gun anywhere but on my person. If an accident happened , the gun would likely be left in the car if you were hurt. If you have to exit the vehicle fast because of a confrontation, you may not have time to grab the gun. Just like if you were anywhere else, the best place for your gun at all times is in a holster. Find a holster that works for you and use it.

I have both a Galco Paddle and UBG Chanute. I have found that wearing the gun IWB while driving is not comfy and hard to draw. So I wear the Chanute at 3:00 and the Galco paddle at 11:00 as a crossdraw. After I take off the seatbelt, I move the gun to the Chanute and remove the paddle holster before I get out of the car. In Kansas we don't have to have the gun on our person, just be in control of it. So I usually keep the Kimber and Chanute tucked down between the seats and covered by a small towel. Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

cozy partner - desantis

Try a Desantis Cozy Partner - reasonably comfortable and easy on and off or to move around the belt. I wear this daily with my 239. Not easy to reholster, but you can worry about that when the time comes. The only other that is all day comfortable and easy access is the comp tac for my HP.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I just couldn't get myself to keep the gun anywhere but on my person. If an accident happened , the gun would likely be left in the car if you were hurt. If you have to exit the vehicle fast because of a confrontation, you may not have time to grab the gun. Just like if you were anywhere else, the best place for your gun at all times is in a holster. Find a holster that works for you and use it.
    No quarrel with what you wrote. You make some good points. I am still trying to find a holster that I can wear while sitting for long periods. I currently have on order an Andrews McDaniel II, which I hope will do the trick for me.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I second the shoulder holster. It works great for driving, conceals well. I use a paddle holster OWB on strong side otherwise for long drives it makes the gun readily accessible but would be problematic in your special circumstance. Best of luck finding the right apparatus.

I use one of these several days a week. It is comfortable, and easily adjustable! You can shift it around easily. As it you can see... some speed is sacrificed for the increased concealment, but practice is what makes the difference. fed_wif_a_sig can draw from his UCComfort rig and fire two shots on target in something like 1.8 seconds.

What I like about this rig is the shoulder straps really support the weight of your rig which gives all day comfort. I pack a G-23 and 2 spares in it for 12-14 hours at a time and could go longer.

If you have to crawl around underneath cars all day hooking up and wenching out of ditches, I think this mode of carry would be much more comfortable than wearing anything on a belt around your waist. And less damaging to your gun!

Wearing a cowboy type shirt with snaps makes for quick draw, or you can simply leave one button undone for quicker access or ideally remove a button, sew it on top of the button hole (fake button) and then apply two small pieces of velcro underneath button hole and in place where button was originally sewed onto shirt. (I hope that makes sense)

The rig is snug as you wish and gun does not bounce around or dangle. I even wear it under large T-shirts and Polo type shirts but that does significantly increase draw time having to reach under the shirt from the bottom, but it can be done! And you have a full size gun on you instead of a mouse gun stuck in a front pocket or somewhere else.

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links