IWB while driving

IWB while driving

This is a discussion on IWB while driving within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help finding a holster suitable for IWB while driving. I drive a tow truck about 12-14 hours per day and I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB while driving

IWB while driving

I need some help finding a holster suitable for IWB while driving. I drive a tow truck about 12-14 hours per day and I am carrying a G23. Right now I am using a BIanchi but it is very uncomfortable while driving, but is ok walking or moving about. I am looking for ideas, maybe C-tac or, Milt sparks? Or should I just go OWB and adapt my wardrobe?

JD
    Administrator
    What I find best is a small of the back holster, carried strong side, the cant while sitting will put the grip near vertical and ALOT easier to get to and more comfortable than the IWB after long stints in a vehicle.

* Edited to add: Well I should say second best, I actually prefer a shoulder holster for extended carry in a vehicle.

VIP Member
    I carry a G23 in a Canute from UBGHolsters without a problem. I don't drive as much as you do, but I do spend up to 4 hours a day behind the wheel.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I'm going to get flamed for this but today I went out with a holster and decided it wasn't working for me (printing too much).
    So I put my gun through my belt to the left of the buckle - about 11 o'clock. Just stuck it between the belt and my pants.

Felt good, real good, stayed put and was right there while I was driving.

I'm not going to make a habit of it but it worked...

Crossdraw at 11 o'clock is about the most comfortable for most right handers. But that would necessitate changing holsters when you get out. If you're interested in something like that, check out the Carjacker from Andrews Leather.

The other good option in my opinion is any IWB you are comfortable wearing, but with a relatively more extreme forward cant. This puts the grip at a more natural angle while seated, and tends to be more comfortable.

I don't spend nearly the time in the car you do, but I wear a MacDaniel II (also from Andrews Leather) with about 30%-40% forward cant when I'm going to be in the car more of the day than normal. With a Colt Commander, I find it plenty comfortable.

Good luck with your search,
    Bob

That would depend on whether you want comfort or accessibility. I know there are plenty of alternatives out there that put the gun off your body, like holsters that go on the seatbelt or OWB directly in front of your stomach. I have never had a real problem with IWB in a car for extended periods of time, but I don't drive a tow truck. What model bianchi are you using? I always use IWB models with body tabs and they really make a difference in comfort when you're jammed in your seat. I don't spend all day in my car, but I have gone for extremely long stints with both FIST and Sparks holsters with body tabs and forgotten I'm wearing them. A belly band is also a new option I have just started trying and it is pretty comfortable, but you've got to dress around that. Any mode of on-body carry is going to require an adaptation in your wardrobe, some less than others.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

The thing is that I am constantly getting in and out of the truck to load or unload a car so it would be really difficult to change my method of carry every time I enter or exit the truck. I think I need something with some forward cant, that would not jam the gun into my back everytime I sit, as right now I have the Bianchi 100 professional. Also, would loops be more comfortable than a clip?

Just The Thing...

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    I need some help finding a holster suitable for IWB while driving. I drive a tow truck about 12-14 hours per day and I am carrying a G23. Right now I am using a BIanchi but it is very uncomfortable while driving, but is ok walking or moving about. I am looking for ideas, maybe C-tac or, Milt sparks? Or should I just go OWB and adapt my wardrobe?
    Search out Fist holsters...
    See Forum Help above...
    See Mega Holsters...
    See Fist...
    Once at Fist site...hit Fist holsters...then Holsters by category...then Driving to CrossDraw (#42)

I think that this might just be what you were looking for...

It costs nothing to look...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You might want to look at the Maverick Defender from K&D Holsters. It is quite versatile. It offers a lot of cant adjustment and actually could be worn as a crossdraw holster if desired.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Have you considered a shoulder holster? Used with tie downs they're plenty stable and for long drives they're about as comfortable as you can get.
    Jack

Its a PITA but a Galco paddle holster w'adj cant @ 11:00 (crossdraw style) works well for ME-but I don't drive for 12 hrs
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I'm in and out of a truck about 8 hours a day. I carry a Taurus PT1911 in a IWB holster from UBG. I use 2 T-shirts 1 under and 1 over.

No problems with comfort. No printing and no messing with your pistol everytime you get out of the truck.

The only downside is that it's hard to get to your pistol when sitting and belted in. You have to make a concious effort to adjust things just right if you want to be able to get at it in a hurry.

I'll admit I don't always do that

I also would vote for a strong side IWB with more than normal forward cant. Adjustable rigs like the previously mentioned Andrews McDaniel II would let you dial in the fit. I have a Carjacker for longer trips but on shorter trips mine works fine.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Crossdraw OWB might work well.

ratmam57, which UBG holster are you using?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links