Finally tried OWB

This is a discussion on Finally tried OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After all these years of carrying IWB, pocket, &/or ankle, I tried out OWB. I've changed around some of my guns lately & picked up ...

Thread: Finally tried OWB

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar

Finally tried OWB

After all these years of carrying IWB, pocket, &/or ankle, I tried out OWB.

I've changed around some of my guns lately & picked up a Glock 19. It's mainly for classes & training, but I forgot how nice it is to have a Glock. Short, relatively light trigger, short re-set, & ultra reliability.

Anyways, I decided on getting an OWB for it, preferabley a high ride. I picked up a Gould & Goodrich Gold Line 2 slot holster. After using custom & semi-custom holsters usually, I was actually impressed with this holster. The leather was thicker than I thought it'd be, with decent boning. The threading's relieved into the holster body & double stitched. Of course, the nicest thing was the price. LNIB for $25 shipped!

But I did buy a Milt Sparks VS II from someone, so I'm not totally sold on it.

I know they're 2 different guns, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the MS V-S II compares to the Brommeland M-C V that I have for my LWT Commander.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

2. Remove Ads

For OWB, it's hard to beat the Def-Con or the Eagle Defender!!
    Tony

JD
    Administrator
    I like OWB for same days, I think a good OWB holster should be in every ones drawer. I have one OWB for my Sig that I bought from a member here and I love it.

I still prefer IWB for most ocasions, but every now an OWB is needed, and much more comfortable.

Assistant Administrator
    OWB's good eh Rob?

I am so lucky I never need to go IWB and relieved at that, as I do not get on with them at all well. Provided I have the cover garment length - that's all that matters and comfort is just great.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    You know.. I prefer IWB, but I do go outside ever now and then.

And because it's every "now and then" I went with el cheapo Fobus for my Kimber 3". It works just dandy for what it's intended to do.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Yeah, I'll probably stick with IWB, but it's nice carrying OWB every now & then. Very comfortable & quick to draw. Just have to wear the right shirt vs for IWB, especially appendix IWB carry.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I carry OWB 95% of the time. Just leave my shirt tail out and that's it.

I have carried IWB and do pocket carry every once in a while. I still like OWB. I am a big guy and it's just more comfortable for me.

That being said, I am getting ready to purchase a C-Tac. We'll see how that goes.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I just got a Don Hume pancake off of E-bay the other day. I am still figuring out which shirts I can wear it with, but it is quite comfortable.
    In fact I am wearing it as I write this and am about to run out to the movies! It certainly wont replace my IWB, but it is a nice change of pace!

Senior Moderator
    Chalk me up as another supporter of the OWB holsters.

My jeans are.. shall we say.. tighter than your average man's jean and an IWB holster tends to leave the muzzle end of my holster ferociously digging into the seat of my pants from sitting, kneeling, and other average everyday activities. It also DIGS into my side at all times.

A good OWB holster does none of that and with a good cover garment and sturdy belt I can go all day with hardly feeling a thing.

I always thought they'd be hard to conceal, especially on a little framed thing like me. I thought they'd stick out like a sore thumb... I was sorely mistake.

I'm actually in the market for another OWB holster RIGHT NOW!

I have five Sam Andrews -- four are OWB and one is IWB. I rarely use them. I prefer the Galco "Concealable" model for nearly all my OWB needs, but that is usually restricted to the cooler months (weeks?) here in South Florida. The problem is that most of my early Sam Andrews OWBs are thumb breaks and that's not really my style these days. I much prefer an open top holster in either flavor: OWB/IWB.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OWB is the only way for me and my wife. We both really do not like IWB. I find it is uncomfortable. And my wife just hates it for the same reason.

Before I got in shape, I was too fat to carry IWB, now that I am 125 pounds lighter, I find that my hips / waist area is a bit too boney to comfortable carry IWB so OWB is the way to go. I am a big Kydex fan and my Blackhawk SERPA holster is my absolute favorite.
    My wife is also a Kydex fan and has a Galco Matrix for her XD that she always carries in.

At the present time, I do not even own a, IWB holster for any of my carry guns. Why spend the money on a holster system I know I will not use?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like OWB for when I don't pocket carry.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    OWB is the most COMFORTABLE for me, but presents a slight concealment challenge, especially with a 5" 1911. Just a matter of longer, looser shirts. I can still manage it while wearing jean shorts and a tank top, though.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    OWB is the most COMFORTABLE for me, but presents a slight concealment challenge, especially with a 5" 1911. Just a matter of longer, looser shirts. I can still manage it while wearing jean shorts and a tank top, though.
    LOL I'm a pretty big guy. I can only go so far in oversized shirts before it starts to look like I'm a customer of Omar the Beduouin Tent-Maker!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    LOL I'm a pretty big guy. I can only go so far in oversized shirts before it starts to look like I'm a customer of Omar the Beduouin Tent-Maker!
    I'm 6'4 and 315.

....and I LOVE those fancy and loud shirts. Not the Hawaiian ones, but the ones with tribal designs or flames. I even have shoes with flames on them to kind of match the shirts.

(I live and work in a small community, so it's not like I'm going to "blend in" anywhere near here anyway. In a place this size, being a cop is like being a celebrity, except nobody takes pictures. And at minitruck shows, I blend in pretty well - other than being the old fart.)

Links