Defensive Carry banner

I still don't have what I need

2K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  kavity 
#1 ·
While waiting on my CHL I have ordered 3 different holsters and I am pleased with all of them but none help me with concealed carry with a nice dress shirt tucked in and slacks. Let me explain....

My CCW is an XD 9 Service. The holsters I currently have are a Hume 715M, a Galco Concealable and a Crossbreed SuperTuck. All are fine holsters and fit the weapon well and all are acceptable for a shirt worn outside of the pants. However, the SuperTuck just does not fit with my current wardrobe of dress slacks. I do not want give up 6 pairs of slacks to buy size 36 pants just to carry when I am more "dressy." The 34 waists I own now do not allow enough waistband to tuck a shirt inside of the ST.

I don't think SmartCarry will work and I really don't like the idea of the "boys" in close proximity with something that will go bang.
Besides UC Comfort and DeepConcealment shoulder holsters is there anything else I am overlooking?

#2 ·
MOST IWB holster require more room in waistband. Dress slacks are fairly unforgiving-esp in the smaller sizes.

The Galco Skyops works with dress pants-but that hook doesn't work for me, or my belts.

#4 ·
.... is there anything else I am overlooking?
Yes, I think you are. Your gun is a little too big for tuckable carry IMHO:embarassed:. Your pretty much going to need a cover garmet a vast majority of the time, if not all of the time.

Save the pants and by a lightweight sport coat, or buy a smaller gun for those special ocasions.:bier:

#5 ·
I tend to agree here.

Before I took the job at a gun shop I worked at an educational service center. Because it wasn't a school it was legal to carry but it was anti-gun, to say the least. Because the dress code was business attire, I found it a little difficult to conceal a 1911 at times, therefore it was time to get a smaller gun for those days when the wardrobe required something a little more "fitting."

My Colt Mustang is perfect for those days. It's small and con be concealed in anything from a thigh-holster to just a small IWB holster that a light sweater of suit would conceal easily.

Sometimes you do need more than one gun and it's better to have a little gun you'll carry with you always than a big gun you'll leave at home because it's just to cumbersome. :smile:

#20 ·
Tim,

You might see if your wife will let you try out her XDsc for a few days to see how it works before getting a smaller gun. If you like your XD service gun and her XDsc is what is going to work for you, then go out and the sub compact version and you will have total familiararity with your full size XD.

Right now I'm carrying a G-23 as a primary and an XD9sc for BUG. If I end up liking the XDsc as much in the long run, I think I'll be getting the XD45c to replace the G-23 as a primary.

So far I am really liking the XD design and features and if your wifes XDsc works in your ccw needs, buy one for yourself too.

#21 ·
I know you said you didn't think Smartcarry would work. Have you tried one? There's no more reason for a gun to go off near "the goodies" then anywhere else. I would'nt go tuckable. With a smaller gun ( like a 642 ) Smartcarry is excellent. Don't rule it out if you haven't tried it.

#22 ·
I think I am going to order a DeepConcealment shoulder band and a smartcarry and try them both before I go the pants route. I can get both here to the door for under a 100 dolars and if I don't like one of them the local DFW members can be counted on to take one off my hands.
I have a Galco Stow-n-Go coming for the XDsc and two Looper Kydex belts for the holsters that I already have. I have acquired all of this while Austin processes my paperwork. I am going to have a drawer full of holsters and have never carried out the front door yet:embarassed:

#25 ·
I got a deep concealment holster from Pro-Active Gear a couple weeks ago. I tried it a few days ago and was amazed at how comfortable it was. I got it for when I have to dress up ( which is rare ). I found I can get to the gun easily too. I tried my 642 and my XD40SC. The 642 was almost like I wasnt carrying, very comfortable and the gun disappeared. The 40 worked well too with the smaller grip.

#23 ·
I don't know how handy you are or how you feel about this but you might try carrying your wifes XDsc and see how it works. Heres the catch, if you like it there is a guy on the XD forum that bobbed his service and really likes it, 4" barrel with a short grip. He cut the handle to accept the short clip and be able to use the extension for full mags. Go to XDtalk and do a search on bobbed service. Although buying a new gun is a great idea too.:danceban:

#26 ·
I can't "tuck" my Sig P228, either, despite several attempts to do so. Fotunately, I don't have to go deep-concealment often, so I haven't come up with a workable solution yet...

#27 ·
Well being a little "thick" in the middle I can actually tuck the XD-45.

Now it will print if bend over without thinking...but it does work. And wearing dark shirts also helps if it does happen to print.

Though as a lose more weight I am noticing it is becoming more difficult.

Looks like I may be in the market for a new gun as well (oh darn :tongue:)

#28 ·
From another slack-wearer- if you're going to carry "fullsize" all the time, and really practice, either you will let your pants out, or get a pocket gun.:wink: Hey, if you like the holsters you've got enroute(after you play with them a bit), I won't knock them, but Pagerpal requires more slack in your slacks than IWB carry, if you think you might be ducking and running, while trying to draw. The bellyband is not a bad option, as long as you're willing to "Superman" your shirt, in dire circumstances.:biggrin2:

Lots of folks here like KelTecs. I'm partial to the J frame (sold) or the Seecamp (currently have). You hear horror stories of Seecamp prices:rolleyes:, but if you shop, or look on GunBroker or the Seecamp Forum, you can get one for J Frame $$, about $325-350.

#29 ·
The gun is in front of "the boys" in a SmartCarry, and your muzzle cannot cover them. In appendix IWB, however, you should be more careful.

#30 ·
I have a Dan Wesson CBOB with a 4 1/4" barrel and full-sized grip, combined with an HBE DC-Tuckable holster that I wear most days. I can tuck my shirt in with either slacks or jeans, but I consider the gun when buying all of my clothing.

I'm not a huge guy, 5' 10" and 200#, but I have noticed that the location of the gun is a huge factor in how easy it is to spot. I carry mine right at 3:00 or even a little forward, I don't have a huge belly so I can carry there for a long time completely comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.