I still don't have what I need - Page 2

I still don't have what I need

This is a discussion on I still don't have what I need within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will take my ST to Kohl's tomorrow and try on a pair of adjustable waistband slacks in the fitting room with a dress shirt ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I will take my ST to Kohl's tomorrow and try on a pair of adjustable waistband slacks in the fitting room with a dress shirt on and see what that looks like. One good thing about being a teacher is that I have plenty of time off in the summer to do "stuff"

Near all men's slacks have enough material that a good tailor can "let them out" at least an inch or two. That might be a solution rather than buying all new slacks.

Best,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yes, I think you are. Your gun is a little too big for tuckable carry IMHO. Your pretty much going to need a cover garmet a vast majority of the time, if not all of the time.

Save the pants and by a lightweight sport coat, or buy a smaller gun for those special ocasions.
    x3
    A single-stack option would be your best bet for tuckable rigs, and that is the only reason I wish I still had my 1911. The Berettas are a too thick to hide under a dress shirt well without letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak unless I'm wearing a jacket.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Lead Moderator
    You may end up spending less buying new pants rather than a new holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Tim,

You might see if your wife will let you try out her XDsc for a few days to see how it works before getting a smaller gun. If you like your XD service gun and her XDsc is what is going to work for you, then go out and the sub compact version and you will have total familiararity with your full size XD.

Right now I'm carrying a G-23 as a primary and an XD9sc for BUG. If I end up liking the XDsc as much in the long run, I think I'll be getting the XD45c to replace the G-23 as a primary.

So far I am really liking the XD design and features and if your wifes XDsc works in your ccw needs, buy one for yourself too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I know you said you didn't think Smartcarry would work. Have you tried one? There's no more reason for a gun to go off near "the goodies" then anywhere else. I would'nt go tuckable. With a smaller gun ( like a 642 ) Smartcarry is excellent. Don't rule it out if you haven't tried it.

I think I am going to order a DeepConcealment shoulder band and a smartcarry and try them both before I go the pants route. I can get both here to the door for under a 100 dolars and if I don't like one of them the local DFW members can be counted on to take one off my hands.
    I have a Galco Stow-n-Go coming for the XDsc and two Looper Kydex belts for the holsters that I already have. I have acquired all of this while Austin processes my paperwork. I am going to have a drawer full of holsters and have never carried out the front door yet

I don't know how handy you are or how you feel about this but you might try carrying your wifes XDsc and see how it works. Heres the catch, if you like it there is a guy on the XD forum that bobbed his service and really likes it, 4" barrel with a short grip. He cut the handle to accept the short clip and be able to use the extension for full mags. Go to XDtalk and do a search on bobbed service. Although buying a new gun is a great idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Good man Tim, when in doubt, buy another gun!
    I like the way you think!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    I think I am going to order a DeepConcealment shoulder band and a smartcarry and try them both before I go the pants route. I can get both here to the door for under a 100 dolars and if I don't like one of them the local DFW members can be counted on to take one off my hands.
    I have a Galco Stow-n-Go coming for the XDsc and two Looper Kydex belts for the holsters that I already have. I have acquired all of this while Austin processes my paperwork. I am going to have a drawer full of holsters and have never carried out the front door yet
    I got a deep concealment holster from Pro-Active Gear a couple weeks ago. I tried it a few days ago and was amazed at how comfortable it was. I got it for when I have to dress up ( which is rare ). I found I can get to the gun easily too. I tried my 642 and my XD40SC. The 642 was almost like I wasnt carrying, very comfortable and the gun disappeared. The 40 worked well too with the smaller grip.

VIP Member
    I can't "tuck" my Sig P228, either, despite several attempts to do so. Fotunately, I don't have to go deep-concealment often, so I haven't come up with a workable solution yet...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well being a little "thick" in the middle I can actually tuck the XD-45.

Now it will print if bend over without thinking...but it does work. And wearing dark shirts also helps if it does happen to print.

Though as a lose more weight I am noticing it is becoming more difficult.

Looks like I may be in the market for a new gun as well (oh darn )
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

From another slack-wearer- if you're going to carry "fullsize" all the time, and really practice, either you will let your pants out, or get a pocket gun. Hey, if you like the holsters you've got enroute(after you play with them a bit), I won't knock them, but Pagerpal requires more slack in your slacks than IWB carry, if you think you might be ducking and running, while trying to draw. The bellyband is not a bad option, as long as you're willing to "Superman" your shirt, in dire circumstances.

Lots of folks here like KelTecs. I'm partial to the J frame (sold) or the Seecamp (currently have). You hear horror stories of Seecamp prices, but if you shop, or look on GunBroker or the Seecamp Forum, you can get one for J Frame $$, about $325-350.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    The gun is in front of "the boys" in a SmartCarry, and your muzzle cannot cover them. In appendix IWB, however, you should be more careful.

SCW
    I have a Dan Wesson CBOB with a 4 1/4" barrel and full-sized grip, combined with an HBE DC-Tuckable holster that I wear most days. I can tuck my shirt in with either slacks or jeans, but I consider the gun when buying all of my clothing.

I'm not a huge guy, 5' 10" and 200#, but I have noticed that the location of the gun is a huge factor in how easy it is to spot. I carry mine right at 3:00 or even a little forward, I don't have a huge belly so I can carry there for a long time completely comfortable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links