Defensive Carry banner

Let's See Your Pic's - How You Carry Concealed.

2M views 2K replies 816 participants last post by  Velocitor 
#1 ·
I've been trying to find pictures of people carrying concealed, but have been having a hard time finding any. I've been trying to decide how to carry my 1911, and would like to see some pictures to learn from. If anyone has the time, could you post a pic of you having your gun concealed(as how normal people would see you outdoors), and then a pic of you revealing your guns location, and how you would draw it. I tried to ask at my CCW class, but they said that they couldn't discuss concealed carry options. Thanks in advance for any pic's,
Nick

#31 ·
Lima - how does carrying your spare mag on your strong side work out for you? That is a fairly unusual set-up, and I was wondering why you chose it, how you perform reloads, and how (in general) you like it? Thanks...

#34 ·
I got the holster from a member on this site actually, and I got it more because I needed a belt holster than anything else. It was a good price, it was available, it was for my gun, I needed it, so I bought it. I bought the holster more for the holster than for the fact that it has a mag pouch built in.

I was neither here nor there about it until I tried practicing from it and using it.

I was a LITTLE worried that the mag would get in the way when drawing but I was surprised to find that I had no problem at all clearing the magazine when I drew my gun.

Secondly, I was worried that I wouldn't like the mag pouch and wouldn't be able to do quick mag changes... Also (surprisingly) not true.

First, see the direction the magazine is pointed? It's kind of "backwards" but you'll understand why after seeing the pictures...

When I perform a mag change I reach across my body and grip the magazine naturally...

That way, when I pull the magazine from the pouch it is in the perfect position in my hand to be inserted into my gun..

I HAVE put the magazine in the pouch the other way only to almost put the magazine in the gun backwards when performing a mag change while on the move and rapid firing at 10 yards. It was very embarrassing, especially when I ended up dropping the magazine and needlessly fumbling with the gun and the magazine, taking my eyes off of the target.

I am getting the exact same belt holster without the mag pouch, and going to use my spare mag pouch on my weak side at times, but I don't think I'm going to be getting rid of this holster set up for awhile.

I'm actually right on the fence as to deciding whether I like it more than the traditional mag pouch on the weak hand side.

I have found that cover garments can be a problem in drawing like they can be for everyone, but when I'm reaching across my body and into my shirt to retrieve my spare mag instead of reaching back and trying to push back a cover garment, my mag changes are smoother.

I do fine with both and I'm happy with both and that is why I'm on the fence as to which I would choose over the other.

This system is like any other. Once you get used to it, it works fine.

#33 ·
As I ony wear tuckables due to the fact that I wear tucked in golf shirts at the office. Outside of the CompTAC holsters, does anyone make/use leather tuckables? I would be interested in that set up...

#39 ·
UBG holsters has a nice tuckable IWB. I got it as a straight drop so I can carry it appendix, but I'm sure Nate can make it with a cant. Since I carry a light gun (Kahr PM9), I clip it onto my pants, under the belt, then clip my cellphone case onto the belt over it. No one's noticed where I'm carrying (Until I tell them), & I'm in LE. Obviously, a thin gun works best for tuckable carry.

#36 ·
Lima,

I have one similar to that holster........mine also doesn't get in the way of drawing the firearm.

Try using your index finger along the spine of the magazine while drawing it out. This may give you a better grip on the mag & ease mag placement into the firearm. It'll also help your control of the magazine without having to look at it & it'll keep you from dropping the mag accidentally.

#37 ·
I had my wife shoot a couple of pics for this thread. Now, I do not carry concealed all that much. As most of you know, I open carry a majority of the time here in TN a it is legal and the LEO know it and do not hassle anyone about it.
But, when I do carry concealed I tend to carry with this set up. A Fobus right hand paddle holster with just an untucked T-shirt to cover the Glock 23. Sometimes it prints (as the grip does in this pic) but it is no big deal. I rarely see anyone notice that I have a gun on when I open carry so I am sure no one takes note of a bulge when I CCW.

I have larger T-shirts and Polo shirts that cover the gun better but 9 times out of 10, this is what I end up looking like if I am CCW.

After seeing the pics from whamonkey above my post, I am thinking of getting a C-TAC and giving it a try. His G23 just disappears in his. I really like that. He only weighs 10 pounds more than me and our waists are the same size. It should work as well for me.

#41 ·
After seeing the pics from whamonkey above my post, I am thinking of getting a C-TAC and giving it a try. His G23 just disappears in his. I really like that. He only weighs 10 pounds more than me and our waists are the same size. It should work as well for me.
Mike,
It is really adjustable and comfortable, although I wear a tank top under my t-shirts for a barrier between the kydex and my skin. I could actually get the Glock to sit lower by reversing the tabs but I want to be able to get a fast grip so it stays up a bit. The good thing about CompTac is you can wear the holster for 30 days and return it for a full refund (less shipping) if you don't like it. Can't beat that. I am going to try a K&D Dakota Defender to see if the leather option is more comfortable but it will be the last leather holster I try. I am happy enough now with the CTAC but holsters are like potato chips.....you can't stop at one.:hand10:

#38 ·
As I've mentioned in other threads...the weight and the wheelchair tend to limit my carry options but the Safepacker seems to work best for me. It looks like a gear pack not a holster. I keep it and my cellphone, etc on a decent belt all the time and just toss it on with whatever I'm wearing so it doesn't matter if its short or jeans.

If I am dressing up I have an IWB that I wear just behind my left hip but the Safepacker "feels" good and provides access when needed, standing, seated, driving, whenever.

Here are a few pics.

#58 ·
As I've mentioned in other threads...the weight and the wheelchair tend to limit my carry options but the Safepacker seems to work best for me. It looks like a gear pack not a holster. I keep it and my cellphone, etc on a decent belt all the time and just toss it on with whatever I'm wearing so it doesn't matter if its short or jeans.

If I am dressing up I have an IWB that I wear just behind my left hip but the Safepacker "feels" good and provides access when needed, standing, seated, driving, whenever.
I like my Safepacker too. Fits in the saddlebags on my bike and I can easily grab it to go into a restaurant, etc.
Hey, is that a Minimed you're wearing?

#131 ·
Curtis27, I wear a leather tuckable M-F.

Smith 642 with clip (I wear under the belt)
View attachment 5431

Kimber Ultra Carry with belt loop
View attachment 5432

Both are made by a local guy, but if you want his info, he ships as well. Retired undercover LEO, been doing leather for over 25 years.
Thanks Jeremiah. If you don't mind, shoot me his info. I will also tak a look at the UBG hosters as well.

Can the holster makers incorporate clips like the "C" clips? As I have a work phone and a personal phone (and currently the work phone is a Blackberry, so it is a beast), the metal clip is the one item that gets noticed at the office, and people always like asking at the wrong time whether or not I am carrying. I am hoping for a little more "concealability" without looking like Batman with his utility belt (two phones hanging off my belt...)...
His holsters are amazing. I have one for 642 like Jeremiah. He was very helpful and VERY fast. I had it within 3 days of paying him. Total time was ~week (because I ordered it then had to wait for paypal to transfer funds :x).

#42 ·
Thanks Jeremiah. If you don't mind, shoot me his info. I will also tak a look at the UBG hosters as well.

Can the holster makers incorporate clips like the "C" clips? As I have a work phone and a personal phone (and currently the work phone is a Blackberry, so it is a beast), the metal clip is the one item that gets noticed at the office, and people always like asking at the wrong time whether or not I am carrying. I am hoping for a little more "concealability" without looking like Batman with his utility belt (two phones hanging off my belt...)...

#43 ·
My 1911 SA Champ

easily concealed under a t shirt or a cover garment. First holster is Blackhawk Serpa, second IWB kydex hand made holster.
Sorry for the bad quality, the camera flash brought out lots more than the naked eye could see on the mirror.

Attachments

#44 ·
Rocky, you and I share a like of the SERPA. I love mine. It is my EDC holster. The Fobus is the one I wear if I am going to CCW with an untucked T-shirt, but the SERPA is the holster that you will find on my hip if I am out in town probably 80% of the time.

That holster feels very solid. I can't recommend it enough.

#555 ·
I CC with the Serpa 2. Carry a Glock 22 in it when I do. Like TN_Mike, I can't recommend it enough. Lightweight, breaths well, and is great for a cocked and locked situation as it covers the trigger. Has a handy little button that you push to release from the holster and automatically positions your trigger finger in the perfect position. Did not think I was going to like it but it is far more comfortable than my old leather Galco.

I am 6'4", 300 lbs. So full size guns and tactical holsters are not too difficult to conceal. I where a suit and tie to work and boots wranglers and "mechanics" shirts on the weekends. So either way, it is concealed under clothing.
I am now looking for one for the Sig P220 Carry I bought and plan to carry.

#48 ·
Thanks! I did a Google search and if they are the one in Houston, I think I found them. I like what I saw, and it looks like I might have found my source for the Tuckable Holsters.

#49 ·
Lima - Thanks for the info and the pics. At this stage, I don't think I could "re-learn" to do mag changes from the strong side (see that other post about carrying in the same place), but it looks like you've got your SOP down pat. Good stuff.

#55 ·

Here's what I use:

It's a modified Don Hume OT belt slide that uses ComTac C-clips to ride IWB. I wrote up about it before here.
You'll notice that I've modified the back attachment so it will ride a little higher.

It works for me, though I'm debating about getting a CTAC. Not too sure about a kydex holster though.

Since taking these pictures I've switched to the standard plastic Sig grips since the rubber hogue ones snag my shirts too much. I was constantly having to pull at them after sitting down.

I take my pictures using the timer on my digital camera. It's a little harder to get centered just right, but it is more true to life. :)

#60 ·
I'm almost always an IWB guy with a T-shirt or polo. Works well for me, even when moving around or squatting down (still gotta be careful when squatting though).

And then there's option 2. This only works with a jacket, though. It stands out too far to fit under a shirt.

#64 ·
For as much praise as Milt Sparks' holsters garner, I think it's strange this thread has gotten this far without anybody showing at least one.

Here's the setup:

I keep my Berettas in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II on a Dutyman 1.5" belt, and keep a spare mag in a Safariland Mod. 074 concealment paddle mag pouch. The Sparks loops are really tight on the belt, and it is impossible to unsnap the loops while they're on the belt. It makes for a good, stable fit, but a bear to remove, especially discretely. On the mag pouch, I had to modify the plastic clip that grabs the bottom of the belt because it seems to be made for thinner belts. The packaging does not state it is for a particular belt width.

How it all comes together:

#964 ·
New guy here -nice setup

I've had my permit for awhile and carry my 92FS OWB in a Don Hume 727. Heavier gun, but so easy to conceal in that holster. I've been thinking of a IWB holster for it. Thanks for posting this. I know it's a wait for Sparks stuff, but it does look nice.:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.