Let's See Your Pic's - How You Carry Concealed.

This is a discussion on Let's See Your Pic's - How You Carry Concealed. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lima - how does carrying your spare mag on your strong side work out for you? That is a fairly unusual set-up, and I was ...

Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: Let's See Your Pic's - How You Carry Concealed.

VIP Member
    Lima - how does carrying your spare mag on your strong side work out for you? That is a fairly unusual set-up, and I was wondering why you chose it, how you perform reloads, and how (in general) you like it? Thanks...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Like this, or OWB in the same position with a button up shirt covering it (untucked).

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

As I ony wear tuckables due to the fact that I wear tucked in golf shirts at the office. Outside of the CompTAC holsters, does anyone make/use leather tuckables? I would be interested in that set up...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Lima - how does carrying your spare mag on your strong side work out for you? That is a fairly unusual set-up, and I was wondering why you chose it, how you perform reloads, and how (in general) you like it? Thanks...
    I got the holster from a member on this site actually, and I got it more because I needed a belt holster than anything else. It was a good price, it was available, it was for my gun, I needed it, so I bought it. I bought the holster more for the holster than for the fact that it has a mag pouch built in.

I was neither here nor there about it until I tried practicing from it and using it.

I was a LITTLE worried that the mag would get in the way when drawing but I was surprised to find that I had no problem at all clearing the magazine when I drew my gun.

Secondly, I was worried that I wouldn't like the mag pouch and wouldn't be able to do quick mag changes... Also (surprisingly) not true.

First, see the direction the magazine is pointed? It's kind of "backwards" but you'll understand why after seeing the pictures...

When I perform a mag change I reach across my body and grip the magazine naturally...

That way, when I pull the magazine from the pouch it is in the perfect position in my hand to be inserted into my gun..

I HAVE put the magazine in the pouch the other way only to almost put the magazine in the gun backwards when performing a mag change while on the move and rapid firing at 10 yards. It was very embarrassing, especially when I ended up dropping the magazine and needlessly fumbling with the gun and the magazine, taking my eyes off of the target.

I am getting the exact same belt holster without the mag pouch, and going to use my spare mag pouch on my weak side at times, but I don't think I'm going to be getting rid of this holster set up for awhile.

I'm actually right on the fence as to deciding whether I like it more than the traditional mag pouch on the weak hand side.

I have found that cover garments can be a problem in drawing like they can be for everyone, but when I'm reaching across my body and into my shirt to retrieve my spare mag instead of reaching back and trying to push back a cover garment, my mag changes are smoother.

I do fine with both and I'm happy with both and that is why I'm on the fence as to which I would choose over the other.

This system is like any other. Once you get used to it, it works fine.

It seems like the problem would be more in the way you grip the mag - being unable to use your index finger as a reference point to find the magazine well. Looks like you do well with it though. Conceals well!

Austin

VIP Member
    Lima,

I have one similar to that holster........mine also doesn't get in the way of drawing the firearm.

Try using your index finger along the spine of the magazine while drawing it out. This may give you a better grip on the mag & ease mag placement into the firearm. It'll also help your control of the magazine without having to look at it & it'll keep you from dropping the mag accidentally.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I had my wife shoot a couple of pics for this thread. Now, I do not carry concealed all that much. As most of you know, I open carry a majority of the time here in TN a it is legal and the LEO know it and do not hassle anyone about it.
    But, when I do carry concealed I tend to carry with this set up. A Fobus right hand paddle holster with just an untucked T-shirt to cover the Glock 23. Sometimes it prints (as the grip does in this pic) but it is no big deal. I rarely see anyone notice that I have a gun on when I open carry so I am sure no one takes note of a bulge when I CCW.

I have larger T-shirts and Polo shirts that cover the gun better but 9 times out of 10, this is what I end up looking like if I am CCW.

After seeing the pics from whamonkey above my post, I am thinking of getting a C-TAC and giving it a try. His G23 just disappears in his. I really like that. He only weighs 10 pounds more than me and our waists are the same size. It should work as well for me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As I've mentioned in other threads...the weight and the wheelchair tend to limit my carry options but the Safepacker seems to work best for me. It looks like a gear pack not a holster. I keep it and my cellphone, etc on a decent belt all the time and just toss it on with whatever I'm wearing so it doesn't matter if its short or jeans.

If I am dressing up I have an IWB that I wear just behind my left hip but the Safepacker "feels" good and provides access when needed, standing, seated, driving, whenever.

Here are a few pics.

Cindy, Smarshe and mohawkchris like this.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" — Sen. Jesse Helms

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    As I ony wear tuckables due to the fact that I wear tucked in golf shirts at the office. Outside of the CompTAC holsters, does anyone make/use leather tuckables? I would be interested in that set up...
    UBG holsters has a nice tuckable IWB. I got it as a straight drop so I can carry it appendix, but I'm sure Nate can make it with a cant. Since I carry a light gun (Kahr PM9), I clip it onto my pants, under the belt, then clip my cellphone case onto the belt over it. No one's noticed where I'm carrying (Until I tell them), & I'm in LE. Obviously, a thin gun works best for tuckable carry.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Curtis27, I wear a leather tuckable M-F.

Smith 642 with clip (I wear under the belt)
    642_tuck.jpg

Kimber Ultra Carry with belt loop
    tucker_kimber.jpg

Both are made by a local guy, but if you want his info, he ships as well. Retired undercover LEO, been doing leather for over 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

After seeing the pics from whamonkey above my post, I am thinking of getting a C-TAC and giving it a try. His G23 just disappears in his. I really like that. He only weighs 10 pounds more than me and our waists are the same size. It should work as well for me.
    Mike,
    It is really adjustable and comfortable, although I wear a tank top under my t-shirts for a barrier between the kydex and my skin. I could actually get the Glock to sit lower by reversing the tabs but I want to be able to get a fast grip so it stays up a bit. The good thing about CompTac is you can wear the holster for 30 days and return it for a full refund (less shipping) if you don't like it. Can't beat that. I am going to try a K&D Dakota Defender to see if the leather option is more comfortable but it will be the last leather holster I try. I am happy enough now with the CTAC but holsters are like potato chips.....you can't stop at one.

Thanks Jeremiah. If you don't mind, shoot me his info. I will also tak a look at the UBG hosters as well.

Can the holster makers incorporate clips like the "C" clips? As I have a work phone and a personal phone (and currently the work phone is a Blackberry, so it is a beast), the metal clip is the one item that gets noticed at the office, and people always like asking at the wrong time whether or not I am carrying. I am hoping for a little more "concealability" without looking like Batman with his utility belt (two phones hanging off my belt...)...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator

My 1911 SA Champ

easily concealed under a t shirt or a cover garment. First holster is Blackhawk Serpa, second IWB kydex hand made holster.
    Sorry for the bad quality, the camera flash brought out lots more than the naked eye could see on the mirror.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky, you and I share a like of the SERPA. I love mine. It is my EDC holster. The Fobus is the one I wear if I am going to CCW with an untucked T-shirt, but the SERPA is the holster that you will find on my hip if I am out in town probably 80% of the time.

That holster feels very solid. I can't recommend it enough.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Yep, the Serpa is very stable. Also the added retention and optional belt or paddle mount makes it even better.
    Thylacine likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Links