K&D Holsters Maverick Review

This is a discussion on K&D Holsters Maverick Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; K&D Holsters Review MAVERICK Being an Inside the Waist Band Leather Holster Guy I was looking for a new holster that might offer me a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&D Holsters Maverick Review

K&D Holsters Maverick Review

K&D Holsters Review
    MAVERICK

Being an Inside the Waist Band Leather Holster Guy I was looking for a new holster that might offer me a couple of options. One being the typical strong side carry and the other being appendix. Trying several types I was getting frustrated, they either rode to high, to low or the cant just did not work. Thatís when I ran across the Maverick from K&D Holsters. The holster appeared to be well made and sturdy, with an adjustable cant. I called Kevin up and told him I would like to evaluate one of the holsters. We briefly discussed the holsters design and he agreed to send me one made for a G19 to evaluate in a SouthNarc Extreme Close Quarters Concepts Class that was about 5 weeks out. It took about 4 weeks to receive the holsters, just in time to wear it some and to use in the class.

I chose the ECQC Class because it really will test a concealed carry holster for everything one should be, sturdiness, retention, speed, concealability and comfort.

My first impressions after seeing the holster was that it is well made, heavy cow hide and distinctly molded to its gun model. The stitching matched the color of the holster so it blends very well. The mouth of the holster has a sewn in reinforced band to prevent the holster from closing once the gun is drawn. This is a function I like, I do not want my holster to close and prevent one handed re-holstering. The leather is smooth out and rough inside, if you want to call it rough, it was actually pretty smooth which will help preserve the guns finish.

The belt loops are not your typical snaps or j-hook. The belt loops are available in widths of 1ľ, 1Ĺ and 1ĺ inches, but they are a belt slide type loop configuration that is held in place by an allen screw. Once you loosen the allen the belt loop still will not rotate, it has to be removed to position two steel pins in aligning holes to get the specific cant that you desire. It seems at this point to be a very secure and sturdy system and can be positioned in almost any belt configuration imaginable, inside the waist band, strong side, cross draw, appendix as well as the same in OWB Configurations. I can say it really keeps the gun pulled in close to the body for maximum concealment.

I did notice that using the Wilderness Tactical Belt that I like so much is a bit of a problem, the loops are very tight and the thick section of the belt that has Velcro on it provided a bit of a task getting it to slide on the belt. Kevin informed me that if you give him prior notice the loops can be molded for a double think belt. The standard thickness leather belt worked very well and went on very easy. Both belts kept the holster in place very well with no movement.

The holster rode very well in the traditional strong side carry position as well as the appendix position. The appendix position was where I was initially concerned, but to my surprise the holster rode really well, not to high and not to low. It rode low enough that when I was bent over the gun nor the holster wanted to flip out of the pants, everything stayed right where it was supposed to. The loop system and its design works!!!!

At this point the only down side I see is there is no sewn in sight rails. I have a set of Sevigny Carry Sights on one Glock 19 and XS Big Dots on another. These sights dragged a little bit on the spine as the gun was drawn. This is a small problem and was addressed to Kevin (you might look for this to be added soon).

I took the holster to the South Narc Class and passed it around for everyone to take a look at. Everyone seemed to be impressed with the quality of the holster and was especially interested in the belt loop mounting system. I did not get to use it as much in the class as I wanted to due to the SIMS Guns being G17ís and my holster was for a G19. So I brought it home and got with a buddy. We wore it, drew from it, tugged on it and tested it for retention, both the belt loop system and the gun itself.

The holster held up well and retained the gun as well as any other non-security leather IWB. We experienced no drop guns or torn leather while rolling around in the dirt trying to take a Blue Training Gun from one another. The holster also stayed where it was supposed to on the belt. This has to be contributed to the tight fit of the belt loop.

All in all I think this holster is a viable selection for concealed carry, well made and durable. If we get the sight rails sewn in, it would definitely be one I would choose.

For more information on this holster and other contact K&D Holsters. Their information is:
    Email- Kevin@kdholster.com
    Web- www.kdholsters.com
    Address-
    1808 Turkey Creek Rd.
    Unit #9
    Plant City, Fla. 33566
    813-659-1200

Ken Forbus
    Owner FIREARMZ- Firearms Training and Defense
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

2. Remove Ads

Very nice review Ken!! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I would like to see some pictures if possible. I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these holsters. From what I have seen and heard so far, it does look like a winner. It does look like a very well made holster, but honestly I have little doubt about that. I have two of Kevin' holsters and they are very nice.
    I am looking forward to hearing a lot more about this new holster as it starts to hit the streets!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Kevin makes a wonderful holster.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Assistant Administrator
    Nice detailed review and thx.

From the site page this small pic gives some idea plus a coupla pics being worn.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Look forward to mine!!! Great review!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Should be in the mail to you on Monday.

Last edited by Bud White; June 30th, 2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: to many dancing bananas slow down page

It's ok about the bananas Kevin. I know just how you feel.It is just like Christmas!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Thanks for the review, looks like I made a good choice for the two that I have on order.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post

Kevin when did you place your order? Just trying to get an idea of how long I'm gonna have to wait for mine.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
    Kevin is a lucky man! I have a couple of more weeks to go on mine. Great review and good looking versatile rig.

Administrator

Thumbs up

One of the best report/reviews I've ever read on a carry rig.

Honest and Complete. Thanks for posting it.

Please feel free to do a review of anything else you want to for our forum.

I sure did enjoy reading this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Npete7381 View Post
    Kevin when did you place your order? Just trying to get an idea of how long I'm gonna have to wait for mine.
    I don't remember exactly when - But, I have changed my order several times and told him not to worry about when I get it. I have a whole bunch already from him and these were just for fun.

I won't add any "dancing characters" this time.....

Lead Moderator
    Great review. sounds like a good , versatile holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    One of the best report/reviews I've ever read on a carry rig.

Honest and Complete. Thanks for posting it.

Please feel free to do a review of anything else you want to for our forum.

I sure did enjoy reading this one.
    Thanks QKSHOOTER
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links