Looking for a OWB kydex holster for IDPA.

This is a discussion on Looking for a OWB kydex holster for IDPA. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning on doing some IDPA, and with the heat in FL, I don't want to use my good leather,while running around and sweating for ...

Thread: Looking for a OWB kydex holster for IDPA.

I'm planning on doing some IDPA, and with the heat in FL, I don't want to use my good leather,while running around and sweating for hours with my Glock on my hip.

Any recommendations for a good kydex OWB holster ? Anyone use the Sooper Hooper by Kytac ?? Some of the kytex holsters I've tried you really had to tug to get the gun free. This one is said to have a very fast release and adjustable tension.

Thanks.

JD
    Administrator
    Bladetech, SideArmor, and Comp-Tac would be my top 3 for Kydex, I jsut bought a Baldetech dropped belt holster for my 5" 1911 and am thus far impressed. My wife has a semi-custom belt holster from Comp-Tac and is greatly impressed with it, and their customer service was excellent.

Comp-Tac

great product, great customer service and i got my last order in less than a week.

Another vote for BladeTech OWB. Comfortable and quick.
    -Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    At my IDPA club there are three distinct plastic holsters in use all with equeal poularity and legal within the IDPA rules.

Blade-Tech SRB or Belt Holster, Comp-Tec Locking Paddle and Fobus Paddle.

Depending on the weapon I have both Blade-Tech Belt Holster and Fobus Paddles. I won't use a Fobus for duty carry but their paddle holsters make nice IDPA rigs and are pretty fast (not to mention easy to get and cheap). When folks just start out I typically recommend that they use Fobus paddles (for both holster and mag pouches) until their up in the game and even them some of our national level shooters still use Fobus Paddles.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I just recently began shooting IDPA. I purchased a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster for my Sig P229. It worked great and held the gun securely as I moved from station to station.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    ISome of the kytex holsters I've tried you really had to tug to get the gun free.
    What have you tried?

Here's another BLACKHAWK CQC Serpa fan. Actually, they're available with & without Level 1 Security. I've got two of 'em (G19 & 1911). Great design & very popular with Civilian Contractors in the Middle East. Definately "Operator Quality" equipment.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Comp-Tac all the way, I love my CTAC and think the quality & customer service is a tad better than Blade-Tech.

I'm not a fan of the SERPA by any means & thing they are over rated. IMHO Blackhawk makes superb airsoft gear

I have now used my Blackhawk SERPA holster for ccw in public with both the belt loops and today using the paddle attachment.

While I think the belt loops holds my gun a little tighter to the body and prints less than the paddle, I think the paddle attachement on the Blackhawk prints less than a FOBUS paddle. Plus you have much better retention over the fobus.

Still the paddle wasn't too bad on printing with a loose untucked polo shirt.

I think I'll leave the paddle on it for a while because I like to have at least one quick mount holster to have at home in case I have an intruder in the middle of the night or I have to get on the road quickly for an officer needs help call. The paddles allow you to mount your gun to whatever pants you have on at the time and go.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

IMHO Blackhawk makes superb airsoft gear
    Well TJ, I'm not sure if you're slamming my pick of holsters (Todd Jarrett likes them as well...but they "sponsor" him) OR you just play a lot of Airsoft.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think the Kytacs are very good, but I'm not sure they've been around as long or are as well known as Blade-Tech & Comp-Tac.

Of course, isn't it Comp-Tac that makes &/or supplies quite a few holster makers their kydex clips?

Probably the best thing to do is check out your local event & see what people are wearing, then maybe you can check them out better.

OTOH, I haven't heard anything bad about Kytac, either, & I believe the owner/maker is a current or past IDPA competitor & maybe even a regional champion (Or something like that).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Well TJ, I'm not sure if you're slamming my pick of holsters (Todd Jarrett likes them as well...but they "sponsor" him) OR you just play a lot of Airsoft.
    Just an observation I've made over the years.

When Blackhawk 1st came out they had superb gear, but then they went and moved their manufacturing plant to Korea where quality went down the tubes. I've still got some of their quality pre Korea days gear, but sad to say the quality has never recovered. The people I know who rely on their gear to help keep em up and running at 100% in strange places around the world where replacement gear is not available refuse to use Blackhawk.

I personally can't stand the SERPA but there again that's just me and my narrow minded perspective

Some people love them & some don't that's the wonderful thing about having so many different gear & holster makers, otherwise life would be boooooooooooooring

Sponsored Links