Best Revolver IWB holster for K frames

This is a discussion on Best Revolver IWB holster for K frames within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm intrested in trying out some of the better high end leather rigs for my 3" M65 S&W K-frame. I would prefer IWB but would ...

Thread: Best Revolver IWB holster for K frames

Best Revolver IWB holster for K frames

I'm intrested in trying out some of the better high end leather rigs for my 3" M65 S&W K-frame. I would prefer IWB but would consider an OWB if concealable. Summer is coming on and I'm wondering about different options. So what are you wheel gun guys/gals using?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I haven't carried a revolver for many, many years, but based on my experience with the Milt Sparks Summer Special V2 for my 1911, I would HIGHLY recommend it as a IWB holster. They are all special order (except Brownells stocks the 1911 and Glock models), which takes 10-16 weeks.

This holster is most comfortable (compared to a box full of other holsters for all sorts of guns, including an expensive custom Mitch Rosen), one-handed re-holstering, almost forget you are carrying!

http://www.miltsparks.com/SS-2.htm

1943 - 2009
    Ditto on the Sparks recommendation.

You might try Lightning Arms Sports, they keep several Sparks models in stock for immediate delivery.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I just ordered a Don Hume IWB for a K frame. It should be here in a few weeks. I will post a review of it after I get a chance to try it.

For a revolver IWB you've just gotta go KYDEX. http://www.blade-tech.com
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

New Member Array Round Gun Shooter's Avatar
    For my 2.5" Model 66 I use the Alessi Hideout. Very comfortable for all day wear and it conceals well.
    Round Gun Shooter
    We must adjust to an ever changing road while holding onto unchanging principles

I've been trying to work with a 3" M60 in a Texas Heritage, but it's just not working for me...
    I dont know if he's settled in the new shop yet, but I think Mr Brommeland may have some offerings for revolvers in the MaxCon V's.

Thanks for the replies.

Len: Based on everything I've read, Sparks is the way to go on semi autos, but becuase of the big difference in shape of the wheel gun I was just wondering if the same would hold true or if there was another brand clearly at the top for wheelguns.

Exsoldier762: I currently am carrying in a Hoffners ITP mirage:

Below is a review of my current carry rig, http://www.hoffners.com/inn07.jpg I posted in response to a question by another board member at MOcarry.com.

I've had Hoffner's ITP Mirage for the 3 and 4" K frame revolvers since the begining of this year. I used it to carry both a 4" square butt and 3" round butt model 65 K-frames.

Several thoughts:

Excellent price/personal service. They delivered what they said they would when they said they would.

It's sweat proof.

Easy reholstering as it will not colapse.

It's very light weight and adjusts to several different belt sizes. It does have an adjustable tenson screw allowing you to set the level of retention you feel comfortable with, but put locktite on it when you decide where you want it. Without the locktite the screw will work loose in a day's worth of carry.

I found that it was important to wear it with a wide belt for increased support. (see my comment below about the straps)

It took me a couple of days to find the "sweet spot" on where to wear it.

It does ride the gun up high, which does cause printing when you bend over to pick something up. It does allow for a quick draw though. I've also been able to use the same size jeans with this holster because it does ride the cylinder of the gun above the belt line. YMMV in this area though.

I'm fairly big in the middle (6' and 250lbs) and while it does work for me I suspect those with a more hourglass shape will find it works even better as it does a good job of holding the gun into your side.

Overall I'm happy but I can see room for improvment. If possible I would like to see a more secure way to attach it to the belt, I feel the loops are too close together to provide the rock solid feel I would like. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 8 It's what I currently carry in, allthough I plan on trying some top end leather rigs as soon as the budget becomes available.
    Last edited by S_O_Laban; May 6th, 2005 at 03:01 AM.

Fixed.
    Last edited by S_O_Laban; May 6th, 2005 at 03:02 AM.

Captain C--

Thank you for mentioning us.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    For a revolver IWB you've just gotta go KYDEX. http://www.blade-tech.com
    I like kydex for stainless, but I didn't want to use it for my blued revolvers.

I recently bought a holster for my 1911 & "L" frame 2 1/2" 686 .357 smith the web site is "AKJ concealco LLC" I stumbled on the site looking for a holster for my "L" frame, which is just a little bigger than a K frame as you probably know. I wouldn't recommend the site but the quality, integrity & good price & design makes me want to tell shooters about it. The guy works alone in Rupert, Idaho. Good Luck!!! Christn Waryr

Links