Sweat Salt?

Sweat Salt?

This is a discussion on Sweat Salt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When carrying in hot climates, many of us sweat profusely. Will the salt from the sweat in any way adversly effect the holster or gun?...

Thread: Sweat Salt?

Sweat Salt?

When carrying in hot climates, many of us sweat profusely. Will the salt from the sweat in any way adversly effect the holster or gun?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, I'm sure it can wear on the gun's finish especially because of the salt.

I'm curious, too, of the holster issue, since it's getting hot here (100s). I didn't have the holsters I have now for last summer, so I'm curious, too.

Maybe some of our fine holster makers will chime in.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Will the salt from the sweat in any way adversly effect the holster or gun?
    If hot, I often simply wipe down both the gun and holster after carrying is done, to ensure that little residue is left. A light oiling with a guncloth removes any crud from the outside of the gun. A light wiping down of the holster with a bit of leather conditioner hasn't harmed any of my holsters. Had one for daily pocket carry for 10yrs and did little but an occasional cleaning/conditioning, and it held up even with ~40 days of 100+ temps in the summers, 100+ days of rainy/wet/muggy weather.

I'm sure some of the holster makers will have some good tips.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    As your carry gear, I'm sure you 'll keep both the rig and the weapon inspected and properly maintained, just inspect and clean as usual and it should be ok....
    Especially if you are spending enough time training with it.....

I didi have an issue with a Model 10 Smith one winter, carrying it in the woods as a hiking gun and getting rained on, the moisture in the air got to the outside finish..... I just used the penny and CLP and shes good to go....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Well, sweat can cause steel corrosion or rust spots. How much and how fast would be dependent on the particular gun's finish. Can't really say for sure what damage the sweat salts could do to leather but it would seem, if nothing else, the moisture itself could be hard on the detailing/boning. Most, if not all of the holster makers I'm aware of, apply a final sealant coat before the holster is considered finished. That finish coat should offer some protection from sweat but I couldn't say how much.

Then you have makers like Mark Garrity that offer an imbedded plastic or kydex layer on the body side of the holster. That should greatly protect the gun's finish and all but the outer layer of holster leather.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    You will have to just watch and see with your gun/holster for wear and rust. I found my SA Champ's MHS rusted really quick after being caught in a downpour and staying wet for 6 hours.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Howdy!

As far as a leather holster goes, salt residue will tend to hasten it's demise somewhat. It can eventually lead to the leather drying/cracking.

A damp cloth (ie a wash cloth that has been soaked with warm water only and then wrung out about as dry as you can get it) can be used as a preventative measure. Just wipe off your holster when you remove it in the evening and allow it to air dry overnite.

In more severe cases (if salt has been allowed to build up) a very small dab of saddle soap on a moist cloth can be applied first. Then wipe it down with a clean, damp cloth. If the leather shows any signs of drying, I would recommend the application of a drop - yes that's ONE drop - of Lexol Leather Conditioner to the affected area and rub it in with your fingers. Then let it sit for a couple of hours, and finally, buff it with a dry cloth to remove any excess residue. If it still feels dry, repeat the process - one drop at a time, but do not over do it, or you'll soften up the holster and destroy it's molding/boning.

Never, ever apply mink oil, neetsfoot oil or anything similar to a concealment holster. It will soften the leather and damage/destroy the molding.

I hope this helps.

I make it a point to NEVER let any part of the gun/holster be up against bare flesh.
    Here in S. Florida, heat & humidity can be extreme so I always wear a tank top under whatever my top shirt is.
    My favorite/comfortable/most functional outfit is opened Hawaiian shirt with T-top.
    Even still, I ALWAYS wipe and oil whatever gun I've worn that day before putting it to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    I make it a point to NEVER let any part of the gun/holster be up against bare flesh.
    Here in S. Florida, heat & humidity can be extreme so I always wear a tank top under whatever my top shirt is.
    My favorite/comfortable/most functional outfit is opened Hawaiian shirt with T-top.
    Even still, I ALWAYS wipe and oil whatever gun I've worn that day before putting it to bed.
    I lived in FL for 14 years (I designed the Max-Con V while there) and it is a preview of Hell in the summertime (except slightly more humid, I'd expect).

The first day I carried my P-220, I turned parts of the slide orange from my sweat (rust!). I agree wholeheartedly with the above suggestions. I also learned the value of a good plated finish (Hard Chrome, Tennifer, NP3, etc).

Sweat is one of the reasons I like Kydex holsters so much. Kydex is not effected by sweat....as far as I can tell.

Sweat is also one of the main reasons I carry a Glock....they resist rusting very well. I would still like to get mine hard chromed though.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I would still like to get mine hard chromed though.
    You could always go for a high polish hard chrome - then changeyour screen name to "Pimp Daddy Mike."
    Jack

VIP Member
    My Milt Sparks VM-II's are horsehide next to the body... never a trace of any sweat on it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sponsored Links