Max Con V - Page 2

Max Con V

This is a discussion on Max Con V within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Realleycat- Those are a very nice pair of holsters and it makes it even tougher to decide. I am leaning more and more towards the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max Con V

Realleycat- Those are a very nice pair of holsters and it makes it even tougher to decide. I am leaning more and more towards the presentation grade. I really hate to wait but I also really like nice stuff and while both are nice its easy to see the care and craftsmanship in the presentations grade. Another day of mulling and I will make my decision.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

I went with the service grade not long after Gary came out with them. I wasn't expecting the kind of quality that I received. I was blown away by how nice the holster is. It's nicely broken in now and not as pretty as it was when it was new, but it sure is comfortable...

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

If you are willing to wait that long for the SG, what the heck is another couple of weeks and a few dollars more for the Presentation model? Me, past that. Go with what you want and can afford. If price does not play in the equation, go for the nicer model, you will be happy you did. We only go round once in life. I am thinking of the same holster, I just have problems with the wait. Seems excessive to wait for something that long, but, custom is what is says, and there is a cost for it. Bet it will knock your socks off. Beautiful work it is.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

The wait times of late are anything but typical. As Gary's said several times, they're getting caught up on orders and - I would imagine - wait times will decrease as they continue to make headway on their backlog.

At the same time, I've got a shoulder rig on order with Matt Del Fatti and his waiting list is a good bit longer than most. He tells customers up front how long the wait will be. I and others still more than willingly order his gear because, well, it's Del Fatti.

When you find a maker that tickles your fancy, be they Brommeland, Garrity, K&D, del Fatti or whomever the wait becomes secondary to knowing that when the order arrives you'll have a fine piece of handcrafted leather that you'll be proud to own for years to come.

Custom leather ain't for everyone but for those of us that prefer it, there's simply no substitute.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by ordy1 View Post
    Order the service grade, there is a chance you might actually recieve it.
    Tomorrow will be 27 weeks from when I placed my order after being quoted 6-8 weeks for delivery for a service grade. I have called every other week after the 16th week and every time it is expected to ship the end of the following week. I still don't have my holster. Everyone should be aware of this before they decide to place a holster from Mr. Brommeland.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by ou_bird View Post
    Tomorrow will be 27 weeks from when I placed my order after being quoted 6-8 weeks for delivery for a service grade. I have called every other week after the 16th week and every time it is expected to ship the end of the following week. I still don't have my holster. Everyone should be aware of this before they decide to place a holster from Mr. Brommeland.

Jay
    Sir,

As has been explained ad nauseum, we have had supply problems. As a result, we are running very, very late in our deliveries. That is no secret.
    In the past year, I have thrown away more holsters than in the previous 22 years combined. Many times a customer has emailed an inquiry or called regarding their order, and it has been in a batch of stuff that I was presently working on. However, we often throw away holsters that do not mold up firmly or otherwise do not meet our quality standards. We will not know for sure how a given piece of leather will perform until the holster is complete. For this reason, it is certainly possible that what you've described is true. However, what it all boils down to is: Do I ship you a substandard holster quickly in order to get you off my back? Or, Do I re-make it until I am confident that you can safely trust your life to it? I have chosen the latter.

I often hear the counter, "if that's the case, why didn't you call me and let me know?" The only answer that I can give you is that I wish that we could. Every customer thinks that their "one" email certainly can't take up very much time, or likewise their "one phone call". That would be true if I only had one customer. However, when this supply problem began, I had somewhere between 300 & 350 orders on hand. Multiply "just one" phone call or email per week, times 350 and you'll get the idea. This problem is magnified to even greater levels when someone with an axe to grind starts complaining on an open forum, and I've got to spend another hour (or more) of shop time responding. That just puts me another hour behind, and now everyone has to wait even longer. I really have tried to give the best possible service that I can, under very difficult circumstances. However, things got to the point in which I had worked an 8 -10 hour day without ever touching a piece of leather - the entire time being spent on the phone or at the computer dealing with "is it done yets". I'd then work another 6-8 hours at the bench until I was a zombie. This does not make for efficient production, and I finally just had to stop dealing with communication issues altogether. I now concentrate on making holsters about 12 hours a day, sometimes more like 16 & guess what? We're getting caught up!

My wife does the best that she can in dealing with the phone and email, but it is still too much for one person to do well. The next thing people tell me is that "I need to hire someone". Great idea, but how much do you want to spend on that holster you've ordered? A hired hand does not work for free, and the money has to come from someplace.

So, we are down to somewhere in the vicinity of 140 to 150 orders that are overdue right now, and are rapidly getting totally caught up and back on schedule. We will be back on schedule by Summer's end.

In your case, Jay I would be more than happy to refund your money if you are this unhappy. I have your order right in front of me - just say the word. Please let me know what you decide.

Hang in there Gary......... You have had to answer two of my "Is it done yet" calls. Sorry but I am like a little kid at Christmas. I understand what you are dealing with and I would not have ordered if I did not want the very best. So take your time and make me the best holster money can buy............
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

I understand the frustration of the above 2 people with complaints. I've been waiting on my own order for quite some time.

There is nothing in me, however, that believes Gary is dishonest or in any way taking advantage of us. From everything I've read here and elsewhere, he's a stand-up guy that has experienced some real supply problems, and was maybe optimistic about delivery dates when the supply problems first emerged.

We're getting reports of products being shipped. In my own case I received a partial order a few months ago. Gary is also offering full refunds to anyone unhappy with this arrangement. So what's the problem? I'd rather wait and receive perfection than rush him and receive substandard gear.

To answer the original question--I'd get Presentation Grade. I wear/own things to be enjoyed by me, not to be seen of others or impress anyone else. I carry a Dozier knife because I appreciate Bob's D2 heat treat--it is the best and holds a sharp edge a LONG time, but none of my acquaintances knows or appreciates that--it's in the use that it becomes apparent. I wear a mechanical watch because I enjoy the silky-smooth second hand sweep and it's ability to keep time in hot and cold conditions. Probably no one I come across would notice that. I just appreciate its quality. It's the same with Brommeland leather. The Service Grade functions equally well, but I appreciate the detailed boning and look of the Presentation-grade leather. I love the Def Con that I received. First-rate leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    This problem is magnified to even greater levels when someone with an axe to grind starts complaining on an open forum, and I've got to spend another hour (or more) of shop time responding. That just puts me another hour behind, and now everyone has to wait even longer.
    Gary,

Don't reply! Keep slaving away for us!! 99.9% of us understand and back you up all the way.
    LegalRaptor
    The freedom to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins
    Oliver Wendell Holmes

We all need to remember, that quality work does not usualy mean fast, I ordered my maxcon from Gary last Aug18,2006 and as much as i want it, Things in Life happen,bad leather, people get sick, and even deaths in the family. I have NEVER heard a complaint about
    Gary's work or the quality of it. We all just need to be patient.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Jay,
    Gary's holsters are well worth the wait as his quality is superb. However, you will definitely wait. Just place the order and forget about it. One day you'll receive a nice suprise at your front door. My experience was much the same as yours, frustration level included. Just find something else nice to keep you gun in while you wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links