how to carry

This is a discussion on how to carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; guys, i just got my new carry gun, a Kahr PM9, with a synthetic material based, "in the pants", thumb-break holster. I feel good about ...

Thread: how to carry

how to carry

guys,

i just got my new carry gun, a Kahr PM9, with a synthetic material based, "in the pants", thumb-break holster. I feel good about the thumb break as it ensures that the gun is secure and the trigger is protected, as there is no safety on the gun.

My question is, what's your opinion on the thumb break? Maybe i need to practice more but i'm finding that the thumb break greatly slows my draw time and, well, what's the point of carrying if you can't quickly and effectively retrieve it in a time of need.

any tips would be most welcome!

thanks

Domenic

2. Remove Ads

Two points.

The Kahr is DAO so it has an inherent safety, you have to pull the trigger not just touch it.

Secondly, what holster?
    The Bianchi holsters similar to the ones you describe are opened by pushing the thumbstrap down as you grab for the gun, it's a very efficient action.

Administrator

Thumbs up

You need to spring for a better holster that is fitted specifically to your firearm and then it will be very secure for carry...even without a retention strap.

And you sure did hit the nail right on the head with your question:

"what's the point of carrying if you can't quickly and effectively retrieve it in a time of need."

Exactly correct.
    So start holster shopping and that (plus some practice drawing) will completely solve your problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

No need to have a thumb break on a concealed weapon holster IMO. If it's not visible, no one should be grabbing for it, and if it's fit properly, it won't just fall out and the trigger will be covered so it won't go off unless you want it to.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrator
    Roadrunner has it covered.
    Perfectly worded.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I will not wear a holster with a thumb break. In an emergency I do not want this to hender my draw. And in normal day wear since I'm not doing sommersaults, I'm not worry about my weapon slipping out of my holster.

VIP Member
    As stated. Get a custom holster , you'll be glad you did.

VIP Member
    Yup! Like already said, lose the thumb break!

You have a nice gun, do yourself a favor and get a nice holster. You'll enjoy both a lot more!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Meep Meep! (Thats me agreeing with roadrunner, and QKS). I use a crossbreed supertuck and dont worry a bit about my gun coming dislodged.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I only use a thumb-break holster for field carry, not concealed carry. I too would get a well-fitted holster and not worry about it further. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    You "might" want a thumb break for open carry, maybe, but it's shouldn't be needed for CC.

If you're looking for a good IWB holster, check out UBG holsters, particularly the bottom model in the IWB section.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

No thumb break for me. Have hard enough time getting the shirt over my belly that a TB would be way too slow.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

thanks guys!

yeah, the holster is one i picked up at a gun show over the past weekend for only a few bucks... i removed the thumb-break and carried for one day with a full mag, but a "dummy" chambered (one of those yellow plastic shaped bullets). As expected at the end of the day, there was no "accidental" discharge and now i can pull much faster.

I'll check out some of those brands of holsters you all recommended... definitely need to upgrade the holster - minus the break.

later

Welcome aboard!!!

One of the things that folks new to ccw learn (usually the hard way) is the value of a well designed, handmade holster. These are available only thru small custom shops - I've yet to meet a factory concealment holster that I thought was worth the leather (or whatever else) it was made out of. You basically face two choices: Bite the bullet and buy one right off the bat, or (as is usually the case) end up with hundreds of dollars worth of "cheaper" holters sitting in a box somelace gathering dust. Then you finally buy one that works.
    Holster design and execution is an art, and you just will not get the kind of performance that you ae looking for from a mass produced product.
    And oh, yeah - forget all about thumb-breaks - well designed and made holsters do not require them. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have - free phone consultations are something that we like to do to help newbies get started. Good luck!

I echo what road runner, Qk, and Gary B. said.

Thumbreaks are basically for holsters where they are exposed to public view as an added level of protection against "gun grabs" and of course for LEO who end up wrestling around with suspects on a fairly frequent basis.

The draw from concealment in and of itself is a much slower proposition than drawing from an exposed duty type holster.

Second issue is that we as lawful citizens by default, use the gun in a defensive measure and as such tend to hold our presentation of our weapon until a threat is already upon us, therefore, in our situations... "speed is of the essence!"

A good form fitted, preferably "custom made" holster is designed and built to the exact model of gun in which they are designed to fit, thus affording an excellent amount of retention which should hold the gun (without the need of a "thumb break" retention strap) even with the occasional vigorous activing of having a scuffle with a bad guy and still retain the weapon until it is drawn.

Quality holster without retention strap for concealed carry will cause you no problem or give you any added legal liability.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links