Report: 5.11 Holster Shirt and LA Police Gear

This is a discussion on Report: 5.11 Holster Shirt and LA Police Gear within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel compelled to write of my recent experiences with both the 5.11 Holster Shirt and the vendor I purchased it from: LA Police Gear. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: 5.11 Holster Shirt and LA Police Gear

Thumbs down Report: 5.11 Holster Shirt and LA Police Gear

I feel compelled to write of my recent experiences with both the 5.11 Holster Shirt and the vendor I purchased it from: LA Police Gear. In the most recent edition of the Combat Handguns magazine, I saw the advertisement from LA Police Gear featuring "Free Shipping BOTH WAYS" (it is also on their website: http://www.lapolicegear.com/511promos.html) and a Free 5.11 Cap if you order two 5.11 clothing articles. The ad and website encourages you to buy different sizes in an item if you are unsure of the fit, and then return what does not fit with FREE shipping from LA Police Gear. So, I purchased the 5.11 Holster Shirt in a Large and Medium as I was unsure of the fit.

It took a week for me to get the shirts. No hat was included. The invoice did state that I was not charged shipping to my home, but there was not any "FREE UPS Return Service Label included."

The Medium was very tight and uncomfortable. The Large fit better size wise, but the inside seams of the shirt are very uncomfortable. I attempted to wear the shirt for a brief period but due to the lack of comfort and it printing through the cover shirt, I concluded that this shirt was not for me.

So I write LA Police Gear and get this response via email:
    [HTML]RETURN FOR REFUND:
    A refund will be remitted to you via your credit card account or via company check for the merchandise amount minus the original shipping and handling fees. If you had received FREE SHIPPING on your original order, you will be refunded the merchandise amount minus our shipping/handling costs. A refund confirmation email will be sent to you.
    [/HTML]

Ok, did I miss something here? I was suppose to get free shipping all around, but now I am told that THEIR shipping costs will be extracted from my money.

I will advise as this situation progresses and let you know how it ended. But for the meantime:
    >5.11 Holster Shirt =
    >LA Police Gear =

Oh and yes, before ordering the 5.11 Holster Shirt from LA Police Gear, I had contacted two other holster shirt manufacturers...both were rude and acted like theirs was the only product out there (names left out, for now). I've had better service off eBay vendors than some of these "custom" makers!

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs down Holster Shirts

I have looked at every one of these suppossed "Holster Shirts" that have been on display at the S.H.O.T. Shows for that past 3 years. I have yet to find one that didn't have major downsides to them.

I just use a regular belt or IWB holster, and wear cover.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The 5.11 t-shirt holster just isnt up to the same level as others out there and few have long term positive results. LA Police Gear has a habit of not being the most customer friendly store, and their business is one I avoid.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    The 5.11 t-shirt holster just isnt up to the same level as others out there and few have long term positive results. LA Police Gear has a habit of not being the most customer friendly store, and their business is one I avoid.
    I'm curious as to what you've found about the 5.11 that isn't up to the same level.

I have a Kramer and I can't find anything positive to say about it. Doesn't fit tight anymore, gun sags/flops. Seams fraying on holster fabric.

I have UCC that the shirt fits great, but the holster does not hold the gun tight. Sags, and flops.

I have 2 of the 5.11s. I had some irritation with some seams when I first wore them, but with washing and wearing, that's quickly gone away.

Gun is held securely, and tight to the body. I'm fairly comfortable that it is more concealed in this method than any other way I've tried.

What are you and others experiencing that I'm not?

FYI it's a 3" lightweight Kimber in all the examples.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

I've done quite a bit of business with LA Police Gear, have a coffee cup/hat/socks and other "freebies" from em and have never ever had a problem with them before.

VIP Member
    I have had problems with every order I've ever made from LA Police Gear. The hat they show you isn't the free one you get. You get one with their logo in huge print on the side. They are great about selling you something and then not shipping it, claiming they were out of stock. I've had to argue with them to get my refunds for items- their customer service department is lacking to say the least.

That said, they have great prices and they do offer free shipping and some good give aways. I have a hat, watch, knee pads, and some socks that I've collected from them. If I want/need more 5.11 items, I'll probably look there again- but not if I am in a hurry or think there is any chance I will return the item.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Smile

I've got four of the 5.11 holster shirts. I do quite a bit of sitting/driving while armed. They are perfect for that application. I picked them up while on post at an army PX Brigade Quartermaster shop (they have online service also.) Great price and service.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I've used or tested every type of t-shirt holster out there and made about as many designs as their are. Your issue with the weapon sagging in a UC Comfort I have never experienced and I have some of their holsters that I've used for over four years. The 5.11's to me did not have the accessability or the strength to hold my Sig tight and close. Hey like I said earlier its my opinion and if it works for you awsome...it didnt for me though and with what I have at stake if it dont work I dont use it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I tried to order from LAPoliceGear before as well, but half of the stuff I ordered wasn't in stock. When I called them to ask where the __ my stuff was they informed me that 3 of the 4 items were on backorder and that they called me to tell me a while ago (except, no they didn't). I just canceled my order and decided not to mess with them again.

Whats the point? Half of the stuff on their website is on backorder...

A lot of folks I work with bought the 5.11 shirt holster for plain clothes operations. None have complained much about it but most if not all of them practice drawing from it. They also use the crew neck version that shows when wearing a button down shirt. I've been eying the UC shirts that fed_wif_a_sig uses but I've been able to conceal my Sig with an IWB appendix holster on and off duty so it hasn't been a priority.

I have two of the 5.11 holster shirts, the first one I ordered was a large which fit a little too tight, I carry a Keltec P3AT .380 which worked very well in an office enviroment. I ordered a XL V neck which was much better in comfort. No printing as long as you wear a loose shirt. I also have the Smart Carry which also works very well in a work enviroment. After washing the holster shirt the seams become a bit less scratchy, some people do were a under shirt under the holster shirt for more comfort. It makes for a nice choice in daily carry options.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I tried to order from LAPoliceGear before as well, but half of the stuff I ordered wasn't in stock. When I called them to ask where the __ my stuff was they informed me that 3 of the 4 items were on backorder and that they called me to tell me a while ago (except, no they didn't). I just canceled my order and decided not to mess with them again.

Whats the point? Half of the stuff on their website is on backorder...
    I place 2 orders with them. Neither item was in stock even though shown on their website. I gave up on them then.

If I were selling to law enforcement and civilians who pack guns, I think I'd go out of my way to provide honest representation and good customer service. Call it a survival instinct. I just ordered two 5.11 holster tees (L & XL) from Gear Zone a couple days ago. Will report back on turnaround, and which of the two sizes fits me best. You never know with t-shirts, and I've never worn a compression shirt in my life so I ordered two sizes even though I know I'm a Large in cotton tees (good ones anyway). I liked that their featured customer feedback included negative aspects of the products they sell. A cop who provided customer feedback on the site said that the 5.11 holster tees was harsh on his skin and he solved the problem by wearing a cotton t-shirt underneath. To be continued...

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    After 5 orders from LA police gear - all items were what they were supposed to be, fast turnaround, in stock, and great quality, I feel, based on some of the statements that I must be lucky. Maybe I should play the lottery.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

WAIT a company named LA Police Gear is having public relationship problems. And that is surprising because? Sounds like living up to its name. Sorry I could not help myself must be off of my meds again. Seriously I have never done business with the LA Police or LA Police Gear I am sure they are both wonderful organizations. Understand OJ is especially fond of the LA Police Department.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links