Carry options for fat people.

This is a discussion on Carry options for fat people. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets face it, not all of us are slim and trim. I am in better shape physically than a lot of people, but I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry options for fat people.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

Lets face it, not all of us are slim and trim. I am in better shape physically than a lot of people, but I have some strange instructions in my DNA that tells my body to store every ounce of fat in my belly. My wife has said more than once that I look sorta pregnant.(she isn't nearly as funny ash she thinks she is) I am trim everywhere else but thick in middle. Every IWB option I have tried is very uncomfortable. I can't use shoulder holster most of the year do to the nature of my work. I am begining to consider an ankle holster but don't like the accessability problems that go with it.

For the time being I keep a "BUG" type gun in a pocket holster.

Anny suggestions.... other than liposuction?

My dad weighs 378 pounds.

He finds the "Thunderwear" or "Smart Carry" holster types to work very well for him, and his weapon of choice is a Ruger P85. A P85, if you haven't handled one, is a big, blocky, thick, hard to conceal gun.

I'm a little chunky myself down to 240 from 310 and trying to lose more weight still. I prefer IWB carry and don't find it to be a problem. But I can also shop for clothes in a normal store and my dad can't.

I can empathize. 98% of my problem is despite my antics I'm really not in a very active job. I try to do some kind of physical activity every day. I don't eat any fast food besides occassional Subway. I eat lots of apples water chicken breasts oranges potatoes broccoli, etc. and it's still a fight to lose weight.

I refuse to do Atkins. I've lost 70 pounds without it.

I need to get back on my weight lifting regiment and I'll start shedding pounds again.

Most comfortable way ive found to carry so far is a desantis cozy partner i carry my fullsize 1911 pretty easy and super comfortable that way bummed they dont make that holster for every gun i have im 6' about 302

i've got two iwb holsters, one from high noon, tuckable, and one from rafters gunleather.
    the high noon one rides low, and conceals easy. however, it doesn't cover over the top left side of my kimber, so wearing it for any real length of time does get uncomfy. not to mention that re-holstering is a two handed job.

the rafters rides higher, and it does print just a smidgen. but its the most comfortable.

you also have to experiment with where around your belt you wish to holster up. some places print heavy, some print less. some are comfy, some are not.

btw, did you know that the human body never "loses" its fat cells? it simply decreases the size of them. a lean body has the same number of fat cells as an un-lean person, the cells on the un-lean are simply larger in size.

which makes one wonder what kind of cellular damage occurs from procedures such as liposuction. not to mention that the amount of fat the body stores is governed by enzymes in your body, and that getting those enzymes to adapt so you can lose weight is a long process. explains why people who fail at diets usually go right back to the weight when they started.

however, what good does it really do to lose all that weight? sure, it would make a person look better. but what good are looks when the SHTF and food reserves are limited? we'll be better able to survive longer periods of time without food than all those cursed with perfect genetics. they'll whither up and die while we're still functional.

so, being fat is actually being 'Tactical'. and in a pinch, who better to absorb incoming rounds than a portly person? i'd much rather duck behind Tons-O-Fun than some skinny person.

And we stay warmer than skinny guys, don't forget that, Spiffy.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    however, what good does it really do to lose all that weight? sure, it would make a person look better. but what good are looks when the SHTF and food reserves are limited? we'll be better able to survive longer periods of time without food than all those cursed with perfect genetics. they'll whither up and die while we're still functional.

so, being fat is actually being 'Tactical'. and in a pinch, who better to absorb incoming rounds than a portly person? i'd much rather duck behind Tons-O-Fun than some skinny person.
    LOL!! I like the way you think!
    Seriously, I am in the process of putting together a bugout kit that would sustain us us for three weeks without any rationing at all. That includes food, water, shelter, meds and first aid, ammo etc.

The serious downside of the excess pounds to me primarily deal with comfort. I have been told by a chiropractor and two neurosurgeons that I am the most flexible fat guy they have ever met, largely due to the nature of my work and hobbies. It is getting so that the belly is in the way, and I would like to get rid of it. (the lipo was a joke BTW)

On a side note, the last time I went to a party with my wife there was a limbo contest. I came in second place to the daughter of one women there, she was a 6 year old girl. This was AFTER back surgery and at my current weight.

least you had the decency to let the kid win. hehehe.

Assistant Administrator
    I am lucky - I do have a slight ''tire'' and belly but sitting at 6'.00" and 200# age 60 - ain't too bad I guess. ''Live on my nerves'' - so always burn off most fat perhaps - or is it that regardless of intake - I just get ''poor mpg's''? LOL.

Some may have heard me say tho - I always have been OWB and always will - IWB just is not what works for me. My belt slides are so tight to body that frankly - I doubt I have any more gun to print really then next guy - with an IWB.

As ever - each to his own but I sure can't see a more ''fullsome'' figure handing an IWB with any great measure of comfort!!! Sho rig could for some I guess do well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm up to +/-275 now that I'm lifting heavy again.

However, guns don't appear to show on Betty.

My solution is to carry Betty in my pocket.

I'm clocking in at 6'8" and about 340. I could be on the Idaho pro football offensive lineman team if we actually had one and if I actually liked the sport both in terms of weight and strength.

What fat I have is all gut. Everything else will make your world hurt. ;)

For carry purposes, I get pants one size bigger than usual. I already have to custom order everything anyway, since I'm between "big" and "tall" on the charts and even the fat dude stores are confused, so it's no big deal. I've found that with a flexible, decent belt, I clip the holster to the belt and tuck the bottom part of the holster into the pants. It's not officially as intended as the pants get moved a bit around the belt and the holster, but it's reliable, comfortable, and invisible including a .44 DE if I'm so inclined.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Being a little pudgy around the waist does make IWB uncomfortable for some guys and I definately fit in that category. I have a 1911 loving friend that has spent boo-coos of money on the high quality, big name IWB holsters and he has been kind enough to allow me a try them all. Not one could I wear comfortably all day. I even bought two pairs of oversized pants to help. Nope it's not for me. I have several OWB's that I wear regularly for my 1911 style guns and my favorite are my Galcos. They suck up to my body and really hide the guns well. They ride high and I can even wear a standard pullover shirt with them wothout fear of the holster being seen. I recently found a Don Hume that would work with my Taurus PT-145 and I am wearing it some. It is designed to fir the Springfield XD but my Taurus fits in there gooood!! Even got a mag holder from Don as well that matches the holster.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Assistant Administrator
    It's not officially as intended as the pants get moved a bit around the belt and the holster, but it's reliable, comfortable, and invisible including a .44 DE if I'm so inclined.
    Robert - I'd bet you could ''lose'' my 9" .454 SRH!! LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I bet I could too. :) When I get the full-sized Uzi pistol from Vector (as opposed to my 16" carbine) I may see if it's actually carryable in the same manner as a joke.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

As a self described "fat guy" ( 5' 11" and 310lbs. ), I have found that moving the holster a little farther back (about the 4:30 position) works for me.
    I used to carry a Glock 23 in a Blade Tech IWB in this position for at least 8 hours a day and had no discomfort whatsoever.
    Alas, the Blade Tech went bye-bye when I sold the G23, and until it's replaced I'll have to "make do" with OWB carry.

BTW, this has become my favorite forum. Tons of knowledge and info. here.
    Last edited by sink156; May 10th, 2005 at 11:00 PM. Reason: edited to add glee

Lead Moderator
    Can't say from experience as I am still fit. but how bout a sOB holster? maybe worn just off center of back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links