Thigh Holster question

This is a discussion on Thigh Holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, now I know that thigh holsters are not the most "friendly" concealed carry option, but has anyone had any experience in using/wearing one to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thigh Holster question

Thigh Holster question

Ok, now I know that thigh holsters are not the most "friendly" concealed carry option, but has anyone had any experience in using/wearing one to recommend one?

As the hunting season nears, I have had GREAT difficulty in the past with access to my gun due to the fact that I wear many concealable style holsters. I was actually thinking about getting a thigh holster from when I get all "camo-ed" out. As there are mountain lions and other "critters" out on the land, it is nearly impossible to reach my handgun in time. I thought that a thigh holster might be the best way of access, expecially the colder (and more layers of clothing I tend to wear) it gets.

Let me know what you think, and are there any camo style types I could consider?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

What does your local/state law say about open carry during hunting season??

Well, we "technically" can't open carry, but this land is my wife's Uncles family land, and as it is private property, I have carried openly on it for a couple of years. I just have to either remove the weapon, or conceal it to leave the property. It is about 300 acres of land that only our family, God, and the deer processor friend of our Uncle knows how to get back up in there.

Even though it is private property, could I still get into trouble with open carry?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

They are comparatively "fast" to access. They tend to bunch your clothing, and migrate toward the rear. If you have a nice rig that won't migrate, it will likely gouge you in the flank, when you sit or squat. About the best option I've used was Eagle's duty flap holster- it can ride lower than waist, higher than traditional thigh, and the flap keeps crap from crowding your pistol.

Curtis, I understand the hassel of trying to draw your handgun with all the extra bulk and layers that are worn when the themomiter drops. If your state allows open carry during the hunting season my following recomendation is below. Last year I carried my Glock 22 during the hunting season, I was wearing Blackhawk's Tatcical Sepra holster, in terrain that verries from open fields to thick under brush, to strip pits. This holster provided exceptional protection for my handgun and sights. The Y harness feature that it uses still allows access to the front pocket. I carried every day I went out last season and had no problem accessing my handgun and I think this a very comfortable carry option. As far as camo options go you can select from black, coyote tan, olive drab, and foliage green
    J man

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    When I hunt and carry open (which is rare), I go back to a belt around my waist and a covered (flap) holster in a reverse cavalry draw (but forward on strong side). Typically I wear a vertical shoulder holster, but the flap holster works well and is easy on easy off.

Something to consider. Check your states hunting regulations. Sometimes this superseeds the open carry allowances of private property because you're then covered by hunting regulations and the 2nd weapon if not carried in accordance with concealed carry laws is not considered for personal protection but carried for hunting and hunting laws are still in effect on private property.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

You are both from Texas fed_wif_a_sig, do you happen to know the laws there?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Lead Moderator
    A thigh holster will tend be easier to access. I use one while hiking , since the backpack tends to impede my draw, otherwise. I have used a few brands, but now use a platform carrier I attached my holster to.
    the Serpa looks good too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    As always buy quality. I have a Safariland that I use when earning overtime and it works well provided I have set it up correct. If not, it will bunch up my pants or slide around on my thigh.
    Also a good belt and some sort of system to keep the hanger in place is needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    You are both from Texas fed_wif_a_sig, do you happen to know the laws there?
    Oh no I am NOT "from" Tejas....I'm "from" Oklahoma (Tulsa area actually where I once was a "real" cop), I just happend to be stationed on the wrong side of the Red River. And no I dont know Tejas hunting regulations, as I go back home to Oklahoma to hunt (ya be scared, I take my long bow into them there woods).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Why wouldn't you shoot the mountain lion with your rifle?

Oops...looks like I need to clarify...

When out working on the lease in winter, I do not normally carry a rifle with me. There might be repairs to fences, things of that nature that I cannot have a rifle right next to me.

Second of all, our land is extremely brushy. We have cleared a few land areas for food plots to allow the deer, turkey, and hog to feed. When working to access these areas are our treestands are, my rifle is generally on my back via the sling. This is because we have intentionally not opened up wide trail lanes for concealability to the stands. If a wild animal were to "sneak up" of me, or attack, I would naturally go after my handgun for speed, than to attempt to sling my rifle around. I also have a situation in that it is not considered safe to have a loaded rifle when climbing a tree. Therefore I do not even load the weapon until I am safely secured to the tree, and am in position.

This could also happen if I were bow hunting in the cold. I might even have a rifle on me. That is why I was curious as to the thigh holster option, as it sems that if it were legal, it might be a great opportunity to solve that problem entirely.

Unfortunately, I am still working on the "Is it legal to open carry a pistol when hunting?" question...
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    The Safariland rotating hood thigh rig and the Blackhawk Serpa are both good choices. They are durable, secure, and fast.

As SIXTO mentioned, you should take the time to find the "sweet spot" where you want the rig to sit, and then secure the hanger to the belt in some way (I wrap mine in black 100mph tape) so that it doesn't slide on the belt. IMO, look for a rig with two thigh staps, to help keep it in place and comfortably snug.

This is all assuming, of course, that this is a legal carry option in your circumstances.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

+1 for the Safariland. They are good quality rigs. A nylon generic type thigh rig might be a good option for you as well. I've got one that's "Universal" from Blackhawk I believe and its not pretty but it does the job well. Its too bad you have to consider what's legal when all you're trying to do is stay safe in the woods.

Austin

I've only heard good things about Safariland holsters, pretty much any PD and other government agency uses 'em.

Personally, I use a Blade-Tech thigh holster for the exact same purpose when I'm hunting. A good sturdy belt is essential for any holster, especially a thigh holster. The hanger will put a lot of rotational force on the belt and a cheap belt will twist really bad.
    When I got my holster, nobody really had a good solution for the Springfield XD / light combo at the time except for Blade-Tech which solidified my decision to buy from them :) All of Blade-Tech's rigs are sturdy, but they do take a bit of time to be mfg'd because they are all custom formed to whatever setup you specify.

A quality holster is so much nicer than the cheapie nylon stuff, whether it's a belt of thigh rig.

-Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links