Cross-Draw

This is a discussion on Cross-Draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; KC135, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just trying to discuss this issue; so, please understand that I am just asking questions and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross-Draw

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    KC135,

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just trying to discuss this issue; so, please understand that I am just asking questions and making points for pure academic purposes here.

Qualifying and gunfighting are two completely different things. It would seem to me that crossdraw would take longer to get on target with than straight draw. Do you have any time comparisons for first shot times from the draw from the two carry positions.

When I draw, I bring my strong hand with the gun together with my support hand directly in front of my torso as if I were clapping hands and form my two handed shooting grip. I then drive the pistol towards the target and pick up the front sight slightly before my arms are extended so that I can break the shot as my arms fully extend. In an emergency, I can break the shot before full extension.

How are you presenting the the firearm to the target? Where in the drawstroke are you obtaining your two-hand shooting grip? It just seems to me that it would take more motion to make the crossdraw because you have to reach across your body, and the presentation of the muzzle to the target seems like it would take longer. This is presuming you are standing centered to the target. If the target is on your oblique the crossdraw may be as fast or faster depending upon which oblique is in question.

Once again, I am asking for my own edification and not trying to pick a fight.

While I'm not a "nationally" known instructor (unless you count these forums in which case I'm internationally known :) ), I am a certified law enforcement firearms instructor and have taught officers from all over my region of the state.

On another note, I am interested in the Hume JIT holster. I have a few questions about it as I have considered obtaining one for my 4006. I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but does it have a sight rail sewn into it? I can't tell from the pics. Have you ever had the front sight snag when drawing. Feel free to PM the answers to me if you even care to answer.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

2. Remove Ads

E762, did my 20, combat in two wars, and long cold war. Retired in 70.

Carried a gun for most of my adult life.

IDPA is a game.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

CE, guess you would have to watch me. About 16 students watched as the staff qualified, (modeled) qualification.

Also certified LEO inst, rifle, handgun., shotgun, Glock Instructor, NRA TC, Member IALEFI, ASLET, handgun retention inst, etc.

Hands come together when gun is clear and horizontal with grip frame vertical to the ground.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

KC,

Okay, I'd love to see a frame by frame or video of your draw stroke.
    Shooters' Legacy

Come to a class where I am instructing or working range, and I'll demo :)
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Where abouts would such a class be? :)
    Shooters' Legacy

Indiana. Will probably run an NRA Pistol Instructor class this summer.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Indiana is a long way from GA, but I do need to take that class. One of the junior colleges here wants me to take the NRA classes and teach them as PE credit courses.
    Shooters' Legacy

CE, Call training at the NRA, and they will give you the name of a Training Counselor in your area. The instructor classes are all one day except for Home Firearms Safety, which is about 5 hours.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Thanks for the info.
    Shooters' Legacy

Cool

Many times esp. when driving in the city Iíll pull my smartcarry holster up to belt level with the gun grip just a tinge above my beltline at about 11:00. Makes for very easy access.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

GGL
    To clear up some of the retention/draw-stroke debate; if a crossdraw holster is worn appendix carry on the left side for a right handed shooter and slightly angled in towards the centerline of the body, and if you blade the left side of your body to the target/threat the grip is facing away from the target/threat and towards your belt buckle so it is easily defensible with your off hand. The muzzle is already basically pointed at the target/threat when holstered, so to draw, once the muzzle clears leather, just rotate the wrist to elevate it to point at the target. You will now basically be in a one-handed retention position with the gun at your solar plexus level pointed at the threat. From here acheive a two handed grip if necessary or desired and punch the gun outward as usual. There is no sweeping involved of yourself or anyone else. The muzzle is oriented towards the threat sooner than it would be upon clearing leather from a conventional strong-side rig. This can easily be demostarted with pistol with a Laser-max installed.
    It is very, very fast!!!
    Main drawbacks- it is not as concealable as strong-side carry, and for police officers, in no way replicates the practiced muscle-memory draw-stroke of strong-side on-duty carry.
    "He who works with his hands is a labourer, He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, He who works with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist." (St. Francis of Assisi)
    Mark Garrity
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links