Cross-Draw

Cross-Draw

This is a discussion on Cross-Draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone CCW with a cross-draw rig? If so, I'd like to see your set-ups!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross-Draw

Cross-Draw

Does anyone CCW with a cross-draw rig? If so, I'd like to see your set-ups!

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I like the DeSantis Sky Cop I have 2 of them. a 3913 S&W and a 4" SA XD-40
    I bought an $80.00 Ted Blocker XDraw for the SA XD40 which in my opinion is a POS I would not recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker
    I like the DeSantis Sky Cop I have 2 of them. a 3913 S&W and a 4" SA XD-40
    I bought an $80.00 Ted Blocker XDraw for the SA XD40 which in my opinion is a POS I would not recomend it.
    Yeah, I was looking into those SkyCops. They look nice, they want $100+ to fit one for a J-frame in the odd 3" barrel.

Cant say i do except for shoulder holster of course i all ready shoot odd handed dont want to make it to hard on the holster makers they might have to make another left hand holster

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I've always been a little worried about the gun already being pointed at me in the event of a gun grab; so, I generally stay away from cross draw or shoulder carry. There are some really nice rigs out there though.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    I've always been a little worried about the gun already being pointed at me in the event of a gun grab; so, I generally stay away from cross draw or shoulder carry. There are some really nice rigs out there though.
    I like the cross draw since I am a driver, easy access with the seat belt on. The gun grab thing is easy, either don't allow anybody in arms length, or have a thumb strap. A swift kick to the twins would also discourage the gun grab scenario.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I like the cross draw since I am a driver, easy access with the seat belt on. The gun grab thing is easy, either don't allow anybody in arms length, or have a thumb strap. A swift kick to the twins would also discourage the gun grab scenario.
    Valid points. I can see where you would like it as a driver as you would be seated ina vehicle most of the time. As an officer I have to get close to folks sometimes thus making the grab scenario something I have to think about a bit more than some.

Have you seen any of those holsters that fasten onto the seatbelt?
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Shot a qualification this past weekend, with a BHP 9MM, and a Hume JIT crossdraw. Worked fine. Great driving holster for 23 bucks. Have 10 or 15 total...many left hand too.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

The gun grab thing is easy, either don't allow anybody in arms length, or have a thumb strap.
    Or add a second, readily available BUG. I can deter someone going for the primary long enough to introduce 'em to Mr. 44 snubnose as a contact weapon. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I can see if the rig is for horizontal carry, but is a vertical really that easy to snatch? Other thing against horizontal rig-I was making a stop at the FBI place here as some of the agents were getting back from practice. As I was getting ready to jump out of the van, an agent was leaning in to his car and fiddling with something inside. I happened to look over and was staring down his muzzle. The .45 bore certainly looks cavernous from that angle.

I love cross draw....

Talking Kewl Idea For Car Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Variable
    Does anyone CCW with a cross-draw rig? If so, I'd like to see your set-ups!
    I can't use a cross draw because I can't get my arms across my gut (for which I drank lots of beer and worked hard to achieve LOL) to make the draw. That's not such a big deal, but for the car I found THIS superb idea:

http://www.grassburr.com Check it out and surf around the site!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Unhappy Cross Draw Unsafe?

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson
    I can see if the rig is for horizontal carry, but is a vertical really that easy to snatch?
    Sure it is if the BG is standing close enough to you. Which of course means that you have screwed up somehow to begin with. But think of this, the crossdraw is inherently UNSAFE in that in the act of a normal draw you will in actuality "sweep" everbody next to you with the muzzle of a loaded gun BEFORE that muzzle comes into line with the target or object of hostilities and likely in the heat of an actual combat draw your finger may very well be on the trigger. In an IDPA match this is grounds for a match DQ and you get sent home. In real life it may lead to a criminal charge and or a lawsuit.

Whereas with the draw from a strongside hip holster, the muzzle remains pointed at the ground initially and swings up in line with the target until the sight picture can be acquired. OR if close enough and urgent enough, the gun can be fired nearly at hip level in a "point shot."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Angry Proper crossdraw

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Sure it is if the BG is standing close enough to you. Which of course means that you have screwed up somehow to begin with. But think of this, the crossdraw is inherently UNSAFE in that in the act of a normal draw you will in actuality "sweep" everbody next to you with the muzzle of a loaded gun BEFORE that muzzle comes into line with the target or object of hostilities and likely in the heat of an actual combat draw your finger may very well be on the trigger. In an IDPA match this is grounds for a match DQ and you get sent home. In real life it may lead to a criminal charge and or a lawsuit.

Whereas with the draw from a strongside hip holster, the muzzle remains pointed at the ground initially and swings up in line with the target until the sight picture can be acquired. OR if close enough and urgent enough, the gun can be fired nearly at hip level in a "point shot."
    Baloney!!!

If you do not know how to present a firearm, you should not carry one. Presenting a firearm in a safe manner is the responsibility of everyone who carrys. Gun comes from a near vertical crossdraw holster, is turned 90 degrees and pushed at the target. Qulaified with a BHP and Hume JIT on Saturday....standing next to a nationally known trainer who has been in the business for about 25 years.

A proper cross draw presentation, with a proper holster, sweeps no one.

Don't use horizontal cross draw or anything near horizontal.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Cool Stay cooool REAL coool...EASY, ACTION!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    A proper cross draw presentation, with a proper holster, sweeps no one. Don't use horizontal cross draw or anything near horizontal.
    You get a cookie if you can tell me where my title comes from!

Hey, KC? Don't get bent out of shape here, okay? I don't carry cross draw and never will. But there is a reason that IDPA forbids them in matches, and it is as I've stated. Neither will they allow shoulder holsters (horizontal or vertical) or belly bags.

Proper holster? Of course. Proper presentation? Forgive me, but there is an old OLD saying in the army. Goes back to the days of George Armstrong Custer: No plan survives the first contact....intact. Under textbook conditions a cross draw can be presented so as to only cover the target. And it's fast, too. Ask Doc Holliday. But it's not too secure especially where the pre-draw action is very close and likely the conditions are not going to be representative of "textbook." I think the draw conditions favoring a strong side presentation, even for a "point shot" outnumber those for cross draw the sole exception being for seated in a vehicle. Especially where the range is "contact close."

'Course I don't know how many bad guys are into the martial arts or how many YAKUZA (Japanese mob) you're apt to run into, but a crossdraw just fits so neatly into a whole slew of "disarm and counter" scenarios. For one, you're off your "center line" with your draw hand/arm being on the same side as the non-firing hand so you're badly off balance. So using body techniques to retain the gun is much more difficult since you're starting from a position of weakness.

Also, I don't know how many retention holsters are available for the cross draw, but it seems to me that retention (using body techniques) is a heckuva lot easier (with a bit of training) when the draw is strongside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links