CTAC Pulling Out on Draw

This is a discussion on CTAC Pulling Out on Draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have ran into a problem with the CTAC today. Was practicing drawing from a seated position and I pulled the holster out of my pants ...

Thread: CTAC Pulling Out on Draw

CTAC Pulling Out on Draw

Have ran into a problem with the CTAC today. Was practicing drawing from a seated position and I pulled the holster out of my pants Never had this happen before, but it's the 1st time I've ever drawn from a seated position.

Had the belt as tight as I could & even after loosening up the retention in the holster it still happened of and on just depending on my position & how much I was moving/twisting.

How do ya stop this from happening?????

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up

Looking on the bright side ~ Good Thing that you found it out now though.
    If you can't figure out a way to get it to stay put then you'll need to go holster shopping again since that is unacceptable.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

need a little more info
    what kind of clips?
    belt? maybe the belt was too tight?

how tight is your tension set would be another question I would ask?

Senior Moderator
    This is the reason I swapped out the stock clips for the C clips. Much more positive retention of the holster, especially with a thick belt thike the Wilderness belt.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I found that with my CTAC, when I re-holster, I just let gravity do the work and my retention and draw are just fine, even when sitting down. If I push down and force my Glock 26 further down into the Kydex though, it is MUCH more difficult to draw.

A few weeks ago, I was practicing a random holster draw at the end of the day (I know we all do this around the house, right?), I guess throughout the day my Glock had worked its way further down into the Kydex, and when I drew, the holster came with.

I don't consider this too big an issue, seeing as this is the first and only time that it has happened, but now occasionally when I am in the restroom or getting out of the car, I will tug at the grip and make sure that it hasn't worked it's way down in the holster so this won't happen again.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

I use the standard clips with a 5.11 belt, and the retention is set very loose. The clips lock down firmly, regardless of belt tension, and I can draw seated with no problems. Heck, my CTAC will stay put and draw fast even when I wear a thin 1" nylon belt (doesn't support very well though).

I'm guessing:
    -tension is still too high
    -clips aren't holding well to your belt
    -when seated your body is applying extra tension to the holster causing it to be harder to draw (try different holster locations)

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    I found that with my CTAC, when I re-holster, I just let gravity do the work and my retention and draw are just fine, even when sitting down. If I push down and force my Glock 26 further down into the Kydex though, it is MUCH more difficult to draw.

A few weeks ago, I was practicing a random holster draw at the end of the day (I know we all do this around the house, right?), I guess throughout the day my Glock had worked its way further down into the Kydex, and when I drew, the holster came with.

I don't consider this too big an issue, seeing as this is the first and only time that it has happened, but now occasionally when I am in the restroom or getting out of the car, I will tug at the grip and make sure that it hasn't worked it's way down in the holster so this won't happen again.
    To me this seems like a big issue. I personally don't want to have to babysit my holster and gun. Put it on and forget it. When I draw it should come out smooth and quick. If not then it's time for a new holster.

Heaven forbid that you should ever have to draw. You don't want to look at the BG and say "uh hold on a minute. My gun is stuck".

Although, if you pull out the holster and point it at him. He may die laughing. After he shoots you.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

It's the stock clips, using a wilderness 5 stitch belt that's tight, but not to tight & the tension on the holster has been backed off way much, it just sort of snaps in now & ifin ya turn the holster upside down the pistol will fall out.

Is your holster canted (FBI cant)? If so are you pulling in the direction of the cant? If you pull straight up against a cant you could have the problem. My C-tac holsters are the easiest holsters to draw from that I have seen.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    What exactly are the standard clips on the C-TAC? The tension shouldn't have to be that loose. My guess is the clips are somehow unclipping from the belt, maybe from you body leaning back.

You wouldn't have the problem, no matter the tension, if you used loops &/or the clips don't break/undo.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Not sure, but sounds like you may be drawing against the cant instead of with it. I ran into this problem when I first got my ctac. However problem is solved now. Just took some practice. Also I find when i draw my thumb will push against the holster to help make sure I have a proper draw.

C-clips
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

los
    Holster clips might be losing positive/complete retention on belt when seated because of possible pressure created on bottom of holster [when seated?].
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Links