Made a Fed carrying CCW

This is a discussion on Made a Fed carrying CCW within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A federal investigator came to my employer yesterday to do a background check on a friend of mine for a security clearance. As I sat ...

Thread: Made a Fed carrying CCW

Made a Fed carrying CCW

A federal investigator came to my employer yesterday to do a background check on a friend of mine for a security clearance. As I sat down with him, I quickly noticed his dress. He had on a nice pair of leather boots, white banded collar shirt and a vest. The vest of course caught my attention right off.
    We proceeded to go through the interview, and when we were done, I politely asked him what he was carrying in his vest. The look I got was priceless to say the least. He inquired how and why I thought he was carrying a gun in the vest. I informed him that when I ride my Harley, at times I use the same Coronado vest and for the same purpose. He got a chuckle out of that, and said how observant I seem to be. My reply was simply, always be aware of those you are around. He liked that.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Remember the old saying "Takes one to know one" that's pretty much true in this case. You carry for awhile you will pay more attention to others that may be carrying also.

How do you like the Coronado vest? I'm waiting for a Western Lapel Vest to be delivered.

Leather vests

I have a leather concealed carry vest that is made heavier than the Coranado. The label name is "Park V". The craftsmanship is very good. However I find that any gun that is much good for CCW is way to heavy to carry in the inside vest pockets. Even my Glock 27 is too heavy for it. The weight of the gun pulls down so much that it sags and it looks like you are carrying heavy weight in the pocket, and it becomes uncomfortable in a short time. It might be better if the vest can be snapped togther, but my stomach has grown since I bought the vest and that is no longer an option. It may work with one of the S&W unobtainium 12 ounce J frames, but I no longer own one of those. Had one for a short time but just could not warm up to it. That's about the heaviest gun that could be carried comfortably in my vest. It also helps to carry spare ammo or something in the offside inside pocket to balance the weight out somewhat. YMMV
    Last edited by Wildcat Creeker; July 14th, 2007 at 02:57 PM.

Along this line...
    My wife was carrying in a fanny pack while she was at the hardware store with a stroller and our kiddos. While she was in line at check out, the gentleman behind her made small talk and then commented: I bet you are the most secure women in this place. It startled her for a minute, then she smiled sweetly and replied: "always".

I like the coronado vest. I always put the reloads in the opposite pocket. Keeping it unbuttoned is not a problem for me.

Those investigators are retired Feds. They are contracted out by OPM.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Was gonna say the same thing as symr00 did, cept their can also be local officers doing it as well. Very very rarely will you actually see a "real" fed doing a background, instead its typically someone working for a contract agency issued OPM (Office of Personnel Managment) creds. Oh on those creds, their not authorized to carry, so if he was carrying he prob had a license from the agency they retired from or a simple CCW just like you.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

He would have been awfully young to be retired. Just was funny to see the same vest I use at times, as typically it would not be something you would expect. It fits my persona of motorcycle rider, so fits when folks see me. It also worked for his dress as well. I can typically spot a cop or other "type" of person at a glance, had not seen one dress like this before.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

VIP Member
    I wouldn't mind hearing how you like that vest myself. Maybe a little review with some pictures?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

What Thumper said !

How about a link to the particular Coronado vest you have ?

I've been looking at them myself.... especially for use when riding my Harley.
    Thanks !

Vest With My Harley...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    What Thumper said !

How about a link to the particular Coronado vest you have ?

I've been looking at them myself.... especially for use when riding my Harley.
    Thanks !
    Well...

I have tried the 5.11 vest and I seldom use it...you would need a 10 second head start to retrieve the weapon from the hidden pocket.
    OK, so then I would just wear the vest as a cover, seems fine, but then I look like either a gun toter, or a photo journalist...naw, not for me.
    Then, I was in a M/C shop and spotted this plane black leather vest. It goes well with jeans, and doesn't look suspicious. On my Electra Glide it covers either my Ultra or G-36 quite well.

On my Harley, the vest is not tightly buttoned, but instead, I use a couple of those American Flag...'chain links'...

Works for me, and I think it looks much less conspicious than the 5.11 vest.

I also have been looking at those Coronado vests, but I just hate to spend that much money on a vest...my M/C vest was less than $40.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the original black biker vest. They have different options of leather type/color and lapels or not.

I do not know the website to get the pictures though.

I picked mine up at a gun show.

I can hold a PX4 in one pocket and a Glock 22 in the other without concealment problems.

the Coronado jackets and vest are so heavily reinforced on the inside under the liner. the weight of said gun is spread throughout the whole front of the garment starting at the shoulder. Got a sport type jacket that is so great.
    RVN 68-69 101st Abn. Div. D Co. 101st Avn. Bn.

Links