Defensive Carry banner

Closed Bottom...benefit?

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  DirtDawg 
#1 ·
Can someone explain why some holsters (Max Con V for instance) have a closed bottom and some have an open bottom (VMII or Tucker Heritage)? Is there a benefit to either one or is it just the makers preference? Thanks guys.

John

#3 ·
I'm guessing, here, but I have had the occasional incident where a bit of oil or residue from a muzzle has stained my pants, with OWB carry. A closed-bottom holster wouldn't have the same problem. Can't imagine any other reason, but then I'm not a holster maker.

#6 ·
A closed bottom can keep stuff out to the gun barrel.
Some makers close them on shorter guns for comfort, reduces it "digging" into you. They'll do it on longer guns too, of course, & I believe it's to aid in comfort.

#8 ·
I would say that a closed bottom also aids in keeping moisture away from the gun from sweating or whatever. The Max-Con V is a genius design that is the best IWB holster I've ever had hands down.

Ti

#10 ·
Closed bottoms allow stuff to accumulate, just like lint in the bottom of your pants pockets. Open bottom holsters allow the crud to fall thru and not stay in the bottom of the holster where it will get the chance to get into the gun workings. That's one reason you won't see many LEO duty holsters with closed bottoms.

#11 ·
My VMII for P220R has an open bottom, FIST #20 (no snaps on straps:mad:) has a closed bottom.

So far no lint on either-but haven't been using much chlorine bleach on them undies...:tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.