Belt tightening

This is a discussion on Belt tightening within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this has probably been covered but I'm not seeing much on a search. How tight do you cinch down your belt for carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt tightening

Belt tightening

I know this has probably been covered but I'm not seeing much on a search. How tight do you cinch down your belt for carrying say an all steel Commander? For instance, if I carry without the belt being real tight, the pistol sags from the weight and feels strange. If I tighten to much, then it digs into my side and stays put but can cause discomfort. So, how tight do you make them? Thanks.

John

2. Remove Ads

Whats your holster?

Not so tight that I can't breathe, but not so loose that my gun sags.
    Basically a bit more snug than if I was not carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_56 View Post
    Whats your holster?
    yep...and what kind of belt are you using?

Using a couple holsters. One Tucker Heritage and a Max Con V. Both great holsters. It seems I can loosen the Tucker more because its got rough side out on the back and stays in place a little better. Only problem is, after a few hours, the rough side begins to "grate/rub" on me and causes some discomfort on its own. The Max Con has smooth side out and I don't have any discomfort from wearing it like the rough side out, but it seems I need the belt tighter to hold it in place better (not sagging). Then there is a slight discomfort from the belt pulling the gun/holster in to tightly to my body. Not real bad, just discomfort on both holsters after a while. The Max Con is fairly new and I've only worn it a few times so maybe it'll break in and conform better after I wear it and the belt won't need to be so tight?

The belts I use are a Wilderness belt and a Sparks belt. Both are great belts but I use the Wilderness more because it offers better adjustments. I'd rather use a leather belt but I just have a hard time finding the right hole and it always seems I need a spot right in between the holes that are there. Thanks.

John

I carry a Para P1345 with a double stack mag its size and wieght is close to your Colt. The holster used is a Kramer, OWB style with a
    1 1/2" wide leather duty belt, also carried on the belt: Surefire flashlight, extra mag, Leatherman Wave, glove pouch, and 2 pagers. If I ever fall in deep water I'm done!

It took awhile to get used to it all but now its 2nd nature, and works well for me.

You may need to try other carry options, but give these different options time. The last resort would be a different weapon, there are many lighter and smaller handguns out there. The folks here will give you lots of ideas.

One thing if a carry set up is uncomfortable it becomes easy to just leave it at home and that will be the time you need. It may take time but be patient, try options and you will find one that works.

When I use a Wilderness 5-stitch w/MS VMII carrying P229R I find that no matter how much I cinch-up on the belt, the rig sags or tilts.

I recommended the poly insert on another thread and others said it was not necessary. Maybe to THEM, but to me I will order the poly insert for my next Wilderness purchase.

With the Rafter belt, no problem. But the Rafter is much thicker and the MS VMII loops don't always fit easily.

Your choice.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I'm surprised an IWB would sag or tilt....even with a non-gun belt mine don't do that since they are inside the pants and the belt is just pulling it into my body...outside of course is a different story...

VIP Member
    Because I have "Dunlop’s disease" my britches tend to want to creep down anyway but with my Springfield SS Champion I too have to tighten my belt a little tighter than I would normally want.
    That's one big plus with the Wilderness 5 Stitch Instructor's Belt... infinite adjustability!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Im currently having that issue with my 5 hole Beltman belt. With the sig im inbetween sizes, 1 hurts and the ohter lets the gun drop just enough to print with my normal tshirt/shorts. Im thinking about picking up a wilderness belt just for the adjustability.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I recently bought a custom belt and it was just a little too big (measuring error was mine). I went and bought a leather hole punch for about $5.00 and solved the problem.

After I added the hole I noticed that a better option would have been to cut 2 inches off of the buckle end. An easy adjustment that even I can do.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

What width belt are you using? I started off with a 1 1/2" belt, then got a 1 3/4" Wilderness belt. It made a BIG difference, bigger than I would have expected. I cinch it up fairly tight, just enough so it doesn't sag much. Am I correct in guessing that you're a fairly thin person? I am, and I'm pretty sure that there's just no way around IWB carry being uncomfortable over a long period of wear just because there isn't much (any) padding on my hips. I use a Max Con V too, and it's good, but after a few hours I know it's there. Nature of the beast I suppose.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrator
    OWB - I pull my belt pretty tight.
    Of course I really need to make a new belt as mine is looking pretty doggone abused these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My belt is kept pretty snug...if I were to take off my IWB holster...it would be at the same spot...
    I guess I'm saying that I don't keep my belt any tighter with or without my weapon...and my holster (IWB w/clip & cant) does not move...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess I'm just old school, Sometimes carrying a gun on your hip is just plain uncomfortable. Now I do have some fairly comfortable carry methods and one or two is almost that i forget I'm carrying... But sometimes it's just going to be a pain.

Good luck in your quest for finding the right combination of gear!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links