Fanny pack - no internal "holster"

This is a discussion on Fanny pack - no internal "holster" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know most folks think they're "uncool", but I bought a leather fanny pack off of the web recently. It's nice quality and looks fine ...

Thread: Fanny pack - no internal "holster"

I know most folks think they're "uncool", but I bought a leather fanny pack off of the web recently. It's nice quality and looks fine (for a fanny pack). My only gripe is that in the "hidden" gun section (accessed via Velcro) there is no holster to hold the gun. I'd like to get the opinion of the members here about the safety of this design. I currently use a nylon holster with the fanny pack as I'm not comfortable putting the pistol in there without it.

Thanks,
    Michael

Go to Maxpedition, get one of their Universal CCW Holsters that they use inside a variety of their packs, bags, and pouches and attach it with velcro to the inside wall of your fanny pack gun compartment. It's only $10

The main thing is, it holds the gun snug and covers the trigger/guard. You can use self adhesive "loop" portion of 2" velcro to put on the inside wall of your fanny pack and then sew it in place if you need to, but the adhesive velcro lasts pretty good without sewing. I wouldn't bother trying to sew it in unless the velcro starts to peel off after time.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...5&idproduct=48
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lead Moderator
    A holster is a good thing to have. making sure it doesn't come out with the drawn gun is good too. By securing the gun in the pack it is always in the same location, no groping to find it , when needed quick.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Also 5.11 makes a velcro holster that works with their vest.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Also 5.11 makes a velcro holster that works with their vest.
    I think I am losing it....where is this velcro holster? I looked all over their website and couldn't find it. Can you post a link?
    Thanks
    1*
    We race the reaper.

CamelBak has a fanny pack they call the 'Goblin' designed specifically for concealed carry of a firearm.
    It's been out nearly 3 yrs. now as marketed to law enforcement and can be found at their site under that area.

You will not find it in commercial market /Joe Citizen type stores.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by readyme View Post
    I think I am losing it....where is this velcro holster? I looked all over their website and couldn't find it. Can you post a link?
    Thanks

Cop Quest has it: http://www.copquest.com/45-1300.htm
    It holds autos as well as revolvers.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a fanny pack that will hold two of my .45's and one of my 9mm's...(one at a time, of course). There is a genaric holster that works quite well. I seldom use it though, as I have found that my Ultra or G-36 are quite comfortable and invisible in my IWB Fist holster at 4:00.

However, I found my wife a thin/slim leather waist band in some leather shop...hand made, I think. It has a zipper in back for a .380 mag and her ID. The front zipper open to leave room for a KelTed P-3AT...without a holster. The gun sits butt up..upzip and it's right there. The leather pouch is quite thin so the trigger is as well protected as if it were in a holster.

My wife loves the fact she doesn't carry a purse, but has her ID and credit card, and pistol...and I'm elated that she now goes almost everywhere with it.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I took an Uncle Mike's holster and some velcro and made a holster but the one in Thumpers post would have been easier and better, I may just get one. It will probably also work for a 3" 1911 since the 3" 1911 is almost exactly the same size as a snubby. Belay my last, I ordered one and a Mag pouch.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

The fanny pack I have has a holster built in. The pocket with the gun pulls open with a rip cord. It works great IMHO. I would get one with a holster.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I dropped my pack off at a seamstress this afternoon to have a strip of nylon stitched into the back. I bought an Uncle Mike's neopryene holster to clip in there.

Stay safe!

I do not use it very often, but I have fanny pack with a built in holster, that I bought from Gun Gear. It works very well.
    http://www.gungear.com/cgi-bin/ez-ca...y.cgi?3X300536

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I have a nice full leather fanny pack (for sale) that came with a leather holster that is velcro backed and attatches to the inside very securely.

I'm not crazy about the strap to secure the gun inside the holster, but the design allows mounting a standard pancake holster inside with thumbreak if wanted. On the other hand. the standard open top holster is secure when you close the bag. I've never had my guns fall out when unzipping it. My new (green) fanny pack doesn't have the holster like this one does, as it isn't really set up as a CCW bag, but my gun rides in it fine.

Links