Carry question

Carry question

This is a discussion on Carry question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I jsut received my permit here in upstate NY. I have purchased a para warthog and am looking at holster options. I have done numerous ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry question

Carry question

I jsut received my permit here in upstate NY. I have purchased a para warthog and am looking at holster options. I have done numerous searches and can not seem to find a IWB holster that I will be confident with. I am a small frame 5' 7" and 160 pounds and don't wear overly large shirts to cover. Any new suggestions on holsters?

Also was reading a post about being compramised and was curious if anyone knew the legalities of accidently flashing here in NY by a shirt riding up or somthing of that matter.

have you looked at the comp-tac C-TAC? It's pretty popular for a reason...as is the Milt Sparks Versa Max II if you like leather.
    There are others as well. Where in NY are you?

No I will look at them right now, and I just saw in another post the "high noon split decision" Seems nice and comfortable. Any feed back? Also I am in Rochester, NY

you are in upstate New York; give Lou Alessi a call and go with his advice. Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    No I will look at them right now, and I just saw in another post the "high noon split decision" Seems nice and comfortable. Any feed back? Also I am in Rochester, NY
    Can't comment on the hugh noon or the VMII, but I have a Comp Tac and love it. Do you shoot at GCL? or Rochester Brooks maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    you are in upstate New York; give Lou Alessi a call and go with his advice. Regards, Richard
    If I was up by Lou, I would be stopping by a lot. Alessi would be a good choice.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Since you're in Rochester, give Bob Cutt a call and tell him what you're looking for. He's been doing it a long time and has been very helpful setting me up with gear. He just put a web site up, but it's not very good. My EDC is in one of his tuckables with a leather belt loop rather than the clip he usually uses. Better to just call or e-mail. http://www.cuttscustomleather.com

Always do the best you can to keep it concealed, but around here if someone sees it and calls the police, while it won't be a good experience, as long as it's clear you're trying to conceal it, it's not a problem. Now wearing OWB with no cover would probably get you in some hot water.

Everyone has a different opinion regarding what is easy, concealible, lite, quick to draw from, etc. I have discovered that most people have to try several different holsters types and styles to find the one that fits them. Check out all the advice you can and then start off with the one you "think" will work best for you. You might be successful on the first try. To find the one that worked for me took 5 tries even with all the research I did. My wife found hers on her first try. Stay on this website and seek these great people's advice and you will eventually find the one you like and fits you. There is IWB, OWB, shoulder harness, smart carry(thunderwear), pagerpal, etc. Each has its drawback and its pluses. I know that many, many people on this site seem to get unglued regarding the pagerpal but it is the one that works for me. I have never had a problem and I have practiced it so that I can pull and fire center mass in the required 1.5 seconds. Seek what fits for you and have fun!!
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud
    NRA Life Member
    P232
    P229 (40 s&w, 357 sig)
    P250 (9mm)

Thanks for the help guys, I ordered the High noon holster for now because it was inexpensive and I figure I can start with it and then go from there.

As far as ranges I am not sure of the names but I was at the one in penfield last year with my keltec sub 2000, and at the one over on winton road with my roomate. Are there any others close to greece? I received my letter saying that I was granted the permit, but I am just waiting for it to come in the mail. I bought my roomates para warthog for a great price and it only has about 100 rounds through it.

VIP Member
    +1 on the VersaMax-II
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sponsor
    I can't say enough about K&D's Cochise Defender. Secure yet smooth and easy to draw. So comfortable I forget that I'm wearing it. I recently drove 6 1/2 hours to and from VA and was never uncomfortable. Not to mention that it is a work of art!
    OK I'm done gushhing. (Kevin, How are the Mavericks selling?... hint hint)
    http://www.kdholsters.com/basefile/iwb-defend.html
    Last edited by luvmy40; July 16th, 2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added pic
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

MS VMII! Order now-you'll get it around Super Bowl

Or check with TopGun. Got 2 there so far.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Western NYS..... Go over to Tonawanda and say hi to Lou Alessi. Lou is THE MAN when it comes to quality leather!

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    Also was reading a post about being compramised and was curious if anyone knew the legalities of accidently flashing here in NY by a shirt riding up or somthing of that matter.
    The state in which I first started CCW was an issuer of a concealed specific permit. They MEANT CONCEALED. It didn't mean mostly, most of the time, reasonably, or any other variation. The consequences were the tingle of cold steel bracelets. I can only assume that a lib state like NY must be the same. Don't risk it.

I don't know anyone who carrys concealed in such a state, who does not make certain wardrobe concessions. Even since moving to a "license to carry" issuing state (they don't care if you carry open, print, flash, whatever), I still conceal as though it were more restrictive. I have been buying my pants one size larger for years, shirts blousier, rather then euro-tapered. I don't mind it at all and I don't look sloppy, or like I just rolled out of bed.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Try Tucker Gunleather at:

http://www.tuckergunleather.com

I have several of their IWB tuckable holsters and they are great. Second, plan on changing your clothing sizes at least a little. It goes with the territory of CC.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links