Shoulder Holster Question - Page 2

Shoulder Holster Question

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bzdog ? the mag pouch is not horizontal on either. -john Yep. Thats why I'm not getting one, they dont fit the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Question

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    ?

the mag pouch is not horizontal on either.

-john
    Yep. Thats why I'm not getting one, they dont fit the criteria.

Will take a deep look at Matt's rig that looks very sweet.

Also found that DeSantis makes a rig where you can switch the mag pouch from vertical to horizontal.

Thanks guys.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

OK, the post made it sound like you didn't think they had anything to fit the 239.

-john

Thanks John...they do and I love their rigs. Infact i've sent them an email asking why they wont make the horizontal ammo carrier for the 239 and have contemplated modifying a Jackass rig, just like it did for my 229, to make the mags easier to reach under high stress situations.
    Steve

I carry a Taurus PT-145 in a High Noon Holsters Under Armor shoulder holster and it is very comfortable and not expensive.

I just received the Galco X Project holster System. I modified it to give a little more cant or move it more horizontal. All in all it's not a bad setup. It can go either on the hip or for more concealment - on the shoulder system. There are a couple of improvements that could be made. The main part of the shoulder or the belt systems stays concealed - you then snap your holster on or off. I will have to say that it conceals well. I love the concept - but there needs to be a few improvements like some type of fabric backing for comfort - but some just wear an under shirt and then the main system over their under shirt. In my opinion - I would give this system a C+ or a B-. It's just far from a great setup - although the idea is great. jmo

+++1

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Have you looked at Andrews Leather Monarch rig? I've never used one but it has plenty of rave reviews.

I've got one and love it. Very high quality. They have a long lead time last I heard however so get your order in soon.

http://www.andrewsleather.com
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Alessi is out (sadly).
    What's wrong with Lou? I was looking at getting a Bodyguard. Did I miss something, or is it just a wait-time issue?

How necessary are tiedowns for shoulder holsters? I'm thinking of getting one, but i'm not sure if I need the tiedowns. I'd like one of Andrews' monarch rigs, but they're a bit expensive and have quite a bit of wait time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    How necessary are tiedowns for shoulder holsters?
    That would depend on the pistol size. And if you carry high or low.
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    What's wrong with Lou? I was looking at getting a Bodyguard. Did I miss something, or is it just a wait-time issue?
    Lou makes awsome stuff, except I want my magazine pouches to be horizontal not vertical. Lou only makes them in a vertical (facing down).
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    How necessary are tiedowns for shoulder holsters? I'm thinking of getting one, but i'm not sure if I need the tiedowns. I'd like one of Andrews' monarch rigs, but they're a bit expensive and have quite a bit of wait time.
    I've never used a tie down on a shoulder holster in over 20 years. In fact their the first thing I take off a shoulder rig. If its adjusted properly there is no need for one.

On the Andrew's Monarch, ordering the kidney strap in my opinion is a must as it prevents any forward flop of the rig when bending over and prevents the holster from pulling forward when drawing.

Pretty sure he's the one I'll have make my rig, but if I do, it will be unlined as that makes it all a little thinner.
    Steve

Oh Steve, I think I forgot to mention I got a Galco catalog a bit back and while the shoulder holsters didn't come with horizontal mag holders, it appears they do carry them as individual components. So you may well be able to get your horizontal mag setup with the Galco products.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    I've never used a tie down on a shoulder holster in over 20 years. In fact their the first thing I take off a shoulder rig. If its adjusted properly there is no need for one.

On the Andrew's Monarch, ordering the kidney strap in my opinion is a must as it prevents any forward flop of the rig when bending over and prevents the holster from pulling forward when drawing.
    See, this is where I get lost. You mentioned never needing tie downs, but needing the kidney strap on andrew's rig. andrew's rig without the strap is the same as most other shoulder holsters without tiedowns, right? What stops any other shoulder holster from flopping around and pulling forward?

I recently received one of Sam Andrew's Monarch rigs. Excellent workmanship, and I was amazed at how well it conceals, even under a light shirt.

I use the back strap on this and the pistol never moves. It is almost as concealed as the 5.11 holster shirts I use.

I'm carrying a Kimber UCII in this, but I tried my Para P14/45 and can't tell any difference. That amazed me.

The one thing I am considering is having a mag pouch made without the straps that snap it shut. Thinking of ones that use tension to retain mag. Would make it a little thinner.

Sam delivered right on time, and he has answered the phone to help me twice now.

Can't go wrong that way in my book.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    High Noon Holsters was having a sale on their Undertaker model. Price discount and it came within a week.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links