smartcarry or bellyband?

This is a discussion on smartcarry or bellyband? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to CC and guns in general. My husband bought my a G19 for my birhtday a couple of weeks ago and we order ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smartcarry or bellyband?

smartcarry or bellyband?

I'm new to CC and guns in general. My husband bought my a G19 for my birhtday a couple of weeks ago and we order a IWB holster from KD but that will take about 12 weeks to get here. Soooo in the mean time we found a "generic" IWB to get me by until the good one arrives, unfortuately I hate it. I can't get the 19 to sit comfortabley without it sticking out about 2 inches from my side. Anyway was looking at a smartcarry or bellyband for the interm and running. Just wonder what would be perferred by those who may have used them and why so as I mihgt be able to make a better decsion.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I use Smartcarry, but I'm a guy.

Check out The Cornered Cat It is Paxs website she's a member here and has great advice for women.

Hopefully Betty, Limatunes or some more of our female members will pipe up soon.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I use a smartcarry holster and I like it alot, but, it's not for everyone and you will get as many negative comments as you will positive. That said, I would not feel comfortable carrying a Glock in a soft carry rig because of the chance that the trigger could accidently be pulled. I'd only carry a Glock in leather.

Wink Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by can'tshoot4crap View Post
    I use a smartcarry holster and I like it alot, but, it's not for everyone and you will get as many negative comments as you will positive. That said, I would not feel comfortable carrying a Glock in a soft carry rig because of the chance that the trigger could accidently be pulled. I'd only carry a Glock in leather.
    Welcome to the forum. Given your handle, I'd think that the smartcarry might NOT prove to be so if there's any truth in advertising. I personally hate the smart carry. Mostly because my wife didn't like the grins I got from waitresses and hostesses. It's also dang uncomfortable when seated. I like the flexability of the belly-band. JMO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

ckd
    My wife doesn't like the smart carry for style and lack of comfort, and the belly band she likes, but as you would expect when its hot & humid so is it. She likes the belly that the DeSantis version is available in black and tan to better match her wardrobe, what she has had problems with is acutally what makes it work so well, it hugs very tight to the body but found she was getting poked so much no matter how she positioned it, she now carries a j-frame with complete comfort. IWB sadly won't work with her body type and clothing.

Welcome Snakelady, nice first post question and choice of HG.
    Last edited by ckd; July 18th, 2007 at 11:32 PM.

Snakelady,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. I hope this method may help with some of your questions.

I have carried about 5 different guns in this including G-23 for many years and now XD9sc. I'm working on my second one of these and am having a custom one made for two guns and handcuffs plus spare mags.

Trust me, Glocks and similar are quite safe. The elastic is thick and firm enough there is no way you are going to accidentally pull the trigger.

This is extremely comfortable and can be easily adjusted while wearing if needed. I can wear it for 12 & 14 plus hours and some guns like my revolvers, you can not even feel they are there.

Plus the shoulder straps help distribute the weight of the gun which really aids in the comfort for extended periods. Even under a T-Shirt will not cause it to print but does slow the draw compared to a button up shirt or blouse.

Gun level buttons on shirts can be removed and sewn directly on the front of the button hole and then the shirt closed by attaching velcro underneath making essentially false buttons but still having shirt securely closed with the velcro.

I feel for women having the gun tucked up next to and slightly below their breast would be very concealable and not uncomfortable, but you would have to try for sure.

A Federal Agent who is a member here carries with this type of set up but it is incorporated into an entire undershirt (instead of an elastic band like this one) can consistently draw from concealment and fire two shots on target at 7 yards in something like 2.4 seconds.

Holster can be found here: http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't know how hot and humid NH can get. Here in the south, it can get a tad uncomfortable. I have used the bellyband with great results (minimal printing with close fitting shirts). I will suggest a tank top or a mens sleeveless undershirt to wear under the bellyband. I like the looks of the holster that Bark'n
    posted. I may have to get one of those. I do not have a Smartcarry but from what I have read, these are great for skirts.

I personally use a SmartCarry/thunderwear holster (I own both) more than any other. You don't have to worry about your shirt coming up and showing the gun or a bulge on your side in public. Just my two cents!

Good question! My fiance is trying to figure out the same thing. We were looking at the Kramer shirt holster, very similar to what Bark'n posted. The only problem I have thought of with that style, is that the wearer must use button front shirts for best results, or be satisfied with having to reach all the way under a Tshirt.

I had a Kramer shirt and the 5.11 shirt, both ain't worth the money! At least for me they weren't! IMHO

can you explain why any further?

It's my understanding that the Kramer Shirt holster is kind of loose which may allow the weapon to flop around a bit causing it to keep banging against your side. I have no experience with that.

The type of rig I pointed out in my first post regarding what fed_wif_a_sig wears is the Undercover Comfort Shirt/Holster It is more of a compression shirt that really clings skin tight. He has used one for a while and tests new designs for the owner of the company. fed_wif_a_sig swears by them!

The Undercover Comfort can be found here:
    http://www.undercovercomfort.com/
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I ordered a SmartCarry and should have it in a few days, and if that doesn't work I'll try the bellyband next:) I gave up carring until I get a rig that feels comfortable. Can't wait for the Dakota Defender to get here though!!

Snakelady...

YW. I hope you like our little place on the web and become active with us here and continue to post.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

SJ1
    Snakelady,

I carry in a smartcarry everyday and I found out that by moving the holster to the right and carring the gun over my right thigh is the most comfortable for me. Also, you should play with how tight you wear it as it took me a while to find the right position. Once found, I marked the straps so I could find that position again and it works well and is comfortable. I hope this helps, SJ1
    BTW, I just joined the forum and you all seem like a great bunch of guys. Thanks for having me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links