holster (CTAC) adjustment help

This is a discussion on holster (CTAC) adjustment help within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My problem... If I wear my G19 in my CTAC at 3 o'clock (right handed), all is pretty much ok. I may need to adjust ...

Thread: holster (CTAC) adjustment help

holster (CTAC) adjustment help

My problem...

If I wear my G19 in my CTAC at 3 o'clock (right handed), all is pretty much ok. I may need to adjust the angle, possibly switch the leather tabs for better comfort though (I use the standard tab set-up at full cant).

I have recently tried using this set-up at around 3:30-4 o'clock, basically because it seemed to conceal better when viewed from the front. The butt would stick out more, but that was easy to overcome by how one bends over. The problem is it makes my lower right back ache!

I can't carry at work (teacher), so I usually only carry on the weekends. During the week, once at home we usually stay here. So it's the weekends when we go shopping, out to eat, etc. I say this because this is when I carry and drive. It's comfortable enough when sitting, but over time I think it must be stressing the muscles and I'll feel it later in the day. Take the gun out, it will still occur because the holster is still pressing up against my back and the seat.

The answer may be to just go back to 3 o'clock, but even then it can cause some discomfort. Could it simply be the weight? Anyone else experience back pain? I would imagine LEO's may have some insight because of the weight they carry. Then again, I am an avid hiker and carry much more weight on my hips with no issues (although, it's centered weight). I'm 5'8" and around 155 lbs, and while I have a little weight I could lose, I'm certainly not out of shape.

Maybe the CTAC users have some hints on their clip positions (ex-front clip at bottom hole) and belt locations. Also if you switched the leather tabs.

Thanks for any insight and help!

2. Remove Ads

Back issues are common when sitting against something (holster), or on something (wallet). It's a CTAC at 3:00 for me with no pain or discomfort.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've found that my CTAC is most comfy at 3:15, sitting or standing, and it conceals just fine. Sometimes, when I'm on a long trip, I'll slide it all the up to 3:00 to avoid exactly the problem you're having.

Do you have a good gunbelt? Do you wear it tight enough? If the holster isn't supported well-enough, it'll be uncomfortable for sure. "Tight enough" for me is usually a little tighter than I wear my belt normally. This keeps the weight of the gun welded to my hip so it can't bounce around.

VIP Member
    I guess I'm just lucky. I've yet to find a quality holster that caused any real discomfort. I adjust and look for the method that conceals and works the best because just about everything has been comfortable.

I have my CTAC on the lowst setting in front and centered in the rear. I plan on switching the tabs and giving it the full cant at some point, but I haven't because it works well enough where it is now.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks for the replies so far.

I use a 5.11 Trainer belt (1 1/2") and keep it pretty snug. The belt seems to support the weight just fine.

I guess I'll go back to 3 o'clock and maybe do some clip adjustments.

I have also heard about the clips breaking off, or the C-clips not doing what they have been supposed to do. Is there a general concensus as to the most favored way of wearing the clips?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    I have also heard about the clips breaking off, or the C-clips not doing what they have been supposed to do. Is there a general concensus as to the most favored way of wearing the clips?
    I tried the C-clips and didn't like them at all. They don't sit right, and while mine never fully fell off, they didn't hold the holster as well as the standard clips. I recommend the standards. They're smaller and less visible than you'd think, and give you much better holster retention.

Didn't like the C-clips at all. I'm very satisfied with the standard clips. They last as long as you don't treat them like they're spring loaded and pull them away from your belt further than necessary. If you just drop the clips onto the belt and lift them just enough to remove them from the belt you'll be fine.

CTAC Mod

I sympathize with you, Symbio -- I also have a CTAC and also suffer from back issues from time to time - not from the CTAC, just age and wear and tear. Awhile back I messed my back up for a couple of months just by driving while sitting on my wallet for to long a stretch. Now I make sure my wallet is not so bulky and rides off to the side and not under my butt when I'm driving. (Spending money on guns and ammo solved the bulky part! <=== Wife)

Ref the CTAC, I also had problems getting mine adjusted to ride in a comfortable position. I did some major surgery on it and replaced the leather tabs with two coaster blanks from a local hobby supply shop. These give me more latitute in positioning the clips and making the holster ride where it is more comfortable for me. I wanted more cant but simply adjusting or even reversing the provided tabs just didn't do it.

See photos HERE.

I also needed some new t-nuts and machine screws, which were available at a local hardware store.

I wasn't about to abandon the holster since so many people rave about it and $75 spent ( and the )was an incentive to make it work.
    Chuck

My CTAC is the least comfortable IWB I have, even with the the dinky Kahr pistol I use. The V-clips make it worthwhile for me in tucking, so I keep it.

TexasGeezer, I like your modification. I think I will try something similar to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Planck626 View Post
    TexasGeezer, I like your modification. I think I will try something similar to mine.
    Worked well for me.

Let me know if you improve on the "design".
    Chuck

While I really like the CTAC, at least conceptually, everyone of my friends who have them have reported fit issues. They seem to have to experiment extensively with all available adjustments in order to find a single, consistently comfortable spot. I don't think it has anything to do with weight, as I would not think of a G-19 as a "heavy gun". Of the people I know who have had success, lower seems to be where they end up. Somewhere around 3:15-3:30.

Yours could well be hitting a pressure point, as there are a lot of nerve roots around the low back. It's a matter of trial and error.

+1 on the standard clips. I use them on my Tucker Answer and, as long as you don't hyperextend them when removing, they work great and are very durable.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Links