Clips or loops??

This is a discussion on Clips or loops?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, indulge me in another basic question please. Why is is that some makers use plastic clips and some use leather belt loops. Again, is ...

Thread: Clips or loops??

Clips or loops??

OK, indulge me in another basic question please. Why is is that some makers use plastic clips and some use leather belt loops. Again, is this a maker preference or is one way considered better (more secure, better concealment, more expensive, less expensive) than the other. I own holsters with both and just personally, I prefer the belt loops and they see more secure and less liable to break over the long haul.

Just curious because a lot of makers use the clips and I was just curious what their reasons for using them as opposed to belt loops might be.

John

2. Remove Ads

This is a great question, as I have had it as well. I have noticed that the belt loops version is only on those holsters that are IWB and NOT tuckable. The clips, or velcro are generally found on the Tuckable Holsters. I am not sure if that is the real reason, but I would prefer to have a tuckable holster that had the belt loops myself.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Clips are pretty much necessary on a tuckable. Some designs of clips can be more discrete. Loops are more elegant, less likely to scratch up a belt.

VIP Member
    I like the loops. Since they have snaps they're just as easy and fast to get on.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think it's a matter of preference. The tuckable holsters I use have a belt loop because I like the stability over a clip, and doesn't get caught on anything. Don't have any clip-on, now that I think about it.

Which of the tuckable holsters actually have the loops? My CTAC has a few choices (all clips), but I have been interested (as always) in new toys, and a new hoslter always seems like a good item to buy.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

In my experience, clips are best for a "fore/aft" affixed holster, such as a CTAC, or Tucker Heritage/Answer, and loops work best on a single point design, like the Blade Tech IWB, Galco Royal Guard, or Milt Sparks Summer Special. On tuckable holsters, leather loops seem to necessitate too much bulk and not be as concealable as kydex clips.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

VIP Member
    A word of warning: I have a Lou Alessi IWB for a P228, with a plastic clip. It is sort of an "inverted C" design, with the C hook on the bottom of the clip, facing in to the body of the holster (the entire clip, therefore, goes over the belt.) This particular clip, on this particular holster, doesn't work very well on double-thickness (or other overly thick) belts, as the C hook is too narrow to get all the way around the leather.

So, check your clip style with the belt(s) you will wear them on...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

SCW
    Here is the holster I've been using for the past few months- the DC Tuckable from HBE

Just yesterday when practicing the draw I noticed that when I have my shirt untucked the way I typically carry, the shirt will hang up on the rear-most clip when I'm trying to get it out of the way of the holster. Pretty much the only way I can avoid snagging the cover shirt on the clip is to keep the shirt tucked in either behind the gun or tucked over the gun.

There are other problems with the clips-
    I like to carry right about 3:00 and this puts the forward clip right above my pocket, making it uncomfortable to put my hands in/out sometimes. This depends a lot on the pants and location of the front pocket, but I have to put a band-aid over the clip to pad it somewhat.

Also, the clips have a tendancy to snag on the seat of the car, door frames, etc. This also has a tendancy to wear a hole in your shirt right where it rubs.

On the plus side, it's FLAT FLAT FLAT. Easy to put on/off and provides a LOT of nice rigidity down into the holster several inches.

The snagging during a draw was the kicker for me though, no more clips unless I can find one that won't snag and thus far I can't see any clip on the market without the potential for snagging. Hopefully someone can come up with a tuckable loop holster, otherwise this design is great for tucking and sucks for untucked.

YMMV.

I use a local guy for the majority of my holsters. He just put a web site up, but it's best to call or e-mail him for info on pricing and especially to work with him on what you want.Cutt's Custom Leather
    Below are pictures of my Kimber Ultra Carry and Smith 640 in his tuckables with leather loops.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SCW View Post

The snagging during a draw was the kicker for me though, no more clips unless I can find one that won't snag and thus far I can't see any clip on the market without the potential for snagging. Hopefully someone can come up with a tuckable loop holster, otherwise this design is great for tucking and sucks for untucked.

YMMV.
    You make an excellent and valid point. I really like those metal clips on your HBE, as they are much thinner and flatter than kydex. HOWEVER, they are sharper and therefore vastly more prone to snagging a cover garment. I've had them on two different holsters, so I'm with ya.

I have not found this to be the case with the "whale tail" style clips on my Tucker Answer. The ends are rounded and have never snagged in over a year of daily carry; both tucked and untucked, cover garment, or otherwise.

As SCW says, YMMV.

"Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Links