Modes of carry for primary

This is a discussion on Modes of carry for primary within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many holsters or carry options do you have for your primary carry firearm? What I am trying to distill is how many people pick ...

Thread: Modes of carry for primary

Modes of carry for primary

How many holsters or carry options do you have for your primary carry firearm? What I am trying to distill is how many people pick a particular gun and build carry methods around it vice changing firearms. One of the primary reasons I purchased a Kahr was it lends itself well to many carry options.
    This versus people who have firearms that for various carry situations, such as a P3AT for deep concealment versus someone who would opt for a smart carry for their normal carry firearm. Thanks again.

James

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I carry OWB about 95% of the time. The other 5% is pocket carry.

I think the most important thing is to find what works best for you. You will quickly find out what carry option works and what doesn't. The same goes for your CCW weapon. If it's not comfortable to carry then it really had no use for CCW.

I have found that it is worth waiting a little bit for a custom holster and belt. You can buy plastic or leather rigs all day long. I have a drawer full. The trick is not blowin the bank while finding the configuration that works best for you.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    Most average size handguns will lend themselves to being carried in a multitude of different locations on the body.
    Of course there are some exceptions.
    Most folks wouldn't want to pocket or ankle carry a really large, heavy, full size full weight magnum handgun and you probably wouldn't carry a derringer OWB.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My Primary is IWB 90% of the time, OWB 9% of the time and Pocket 1% of the time if I change my Primary to a "itsybitsyteenieweenie" weapon.

I always have a BUG too.

Biker

Primary OWB 70%, IWB 20% and Smartcarry 10%.
    Backup OWB 5%, IWB 5% and pocket carry 90%
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Primary IWB 95%, OWB 5%; OWB is not comfortable very often with the Texas Summer temps. BUG pocket carry 100%.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

OWB 50% Pocket carry the other 50%. Depends on what I feel like wearing that day.
    Osborne, Tyrell G.
    SFC, USA
    Station Commander

As it stands this week, OWB 60% IWB 20% Fanny Pack 20%

Even though this has been true since the old west, I believe it was John Bianchi who popularized the concept of "One Gun, One Holster".

You need to develop "muscle memory" to the point in which you draw instinctively. This requires settling on one type of firearm, carried at one location on your body. Now I believe it would be OK to switch back and forth between IWB/OWB as your clothing requires, so long as both holsters position the firearm at the same height and rake angle, at the same location on your body. (For this reason, our current generation Max-Con V (IWB) and Def-Con (OWB) are as close as possible in terms of being the same carry.)

As far as a BUG (Back Up Gun) goes, settle on a location (weak hand pocket is a great place to try first, other possibilities would be weak side ankle, or even weak hand belt) and stay with it as well. Then get some PROFESSIONAL training (not your CCW class or the local "gunshop commando, but a recognized, world class instructor)and THEN practice, practice, practice until drawing all of them is instinctive and fumble free.

I would also settle on one gun system as much as possible. If you like your Kahr, then stick with Kahrs, Glocks or XD's because they all work the same. If you end up being a 1911 kinda guy, then stick to 1911's and Hi-Powers. The same with Sigs - use various guns that have the greatest possible similarity in terms of their operation. If you ever need your BUG, you're gonna need it VERY quickly, so a fumble with the draw, or a glitch in your handling skills could easily cause you some great personal harm.

Good luck!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you're sticking to one gun & different carry methods, then it'll probably depend on dress & other factors.

For example, for my Kahr PM9, I have 3 different holstes, but find myself using only 2 of them (That's why I'm selling one of them). Personally, I have a pocket holster & an IWB for it.

Nowadays, I'd say my percentage is: 90+% IWB & <10% pocket.

Some people will use the same gun & different carry methods, but you'll also find some carrying different guns, depending on the weather.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    99&#37; of the time i carry a Kahr iwb for a primairy . for that other 1% that is not a " show off carry " such as bqs ect.. where bragging rights count . I carry either a pm9 or on rare occations a p3at . Note that i normally will carry two pistols ( Kahrs ) and a common reload or two .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    You need to develop "muscle memory" to the point in which you draw instinctively. This requires settling on one type of firearm, carried at one location on your body. Now I believe it would be OK to switch back and forth between IWB/OWB as your clothing requires, so long as both holsters position the firearm at the same height and rake angle, at the same location on your body. (For this reason, our current generation Max-Con V (IWB) and Def-Con (OWB) are as close as possible in terms of being the same carry.)

I would also settle on one gun system as much as possible. Good luck!
    I'm only quoting this because I think it's worth repeating. Well said, Gary.

I am in this same camp; immovably so. Both my IWB and OWB solutions repeat the same position, cant, rake and tension. Like any science, repeatability is the most important element.

++1 GB!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Agreed, you should carry in the same spot all the time! One gun, one holster. This is very important. I carry a Blade-Tech IWB 90% of the time. I carry at the 4 o'clock position due to concealment purposes and accessibility of either my strong or weak side hand. I used to carry BlackHawk SERPA OWB.

The sad, or not so sad, truth is you will probably go through many different guns and holsters to find what works best for you. I for one have bought 5 guns in the past year and countless holsters.

I am now down to two carry guns and two holsters.

P9 IWB
    P3AT pocket carry
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    The sad, or not so sad, truth is you will probably go through many different guns and holsters to find what works best for you. I for one have bought 5 guns in the past year and countless holsters.

I am now down to two carry guns and two holsters.

P9 IWB
    P3AT pocket carry
    Don't feel bad - I've spent enough money to buy a new car trading' different guns over the past 25 or so years...

Finally, I've settled on Glocks carried in a Max-Con V. Now, it's on to the perfect rifle...

Links