spare mag poll

This is a discussion on spare mag poll within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i know there have been extensive discussions on carrying a spare mag. but, i haven't seen a poll on the options. please let us know ...

View Poll Results: how and where do you carry your spare mag(s)?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • outer waistband mag pouch

106 58.56%
  • inner waistband mag pouch

9 4.97%
  • in pocket, no mag pouch

38 20.99%
  • in pocket, in a mag pouch to protect exposed round

12 6.63%
  • other method/placement (please elaborate below)

13 7.18%
  • i don't carry an extra mag

28 15.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spare mag poll

spare mag poll

i know there have been extensive discussions on carrying a spare mag. but, i haven't seen a poll on the options. please let us know which method you use (if any). feel free to indulge us with any creative methods not listed.

p.s. wheel gun runners, just assume mag = speed loader
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am in ''casual'' category - because for most part am at home, work from home etc.

If out and about then not too uncommon to take the easy route and slip a spare in left pants pocket. Rarely use mag pouch other than for IDPA fun and games.

Not very creative!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

mainly, when carrying strong side, i carry 2 mags on a outer waistband pouch on my weak side. works out nice to balance the weight a bit.

when i carry small of back, the holster i use (crossbreed) has a spare spot for a mag, so it's inner waistband.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Senior Moderator
    I have a mag pouch built into my favorite holster, so when I wear that holster, my spare mag is there.

I also have a weak hand mag pouch that I wear on occasion.

BUT.. if I just woke up, I'm rushing out the door, putting on my IWB clip holster while throwing a T-shirt over it and not bothering to tie my shoes until after I've clocked in (barely on time), my spare mag is just going in my pocket where it stays until the end of the day.

Chances are I'll never need it, but I'd rather have it loose in a pocket than not at all.

Then again, I work at a gun shop where every other employee I work with is also armed. I won't need my spare mag, the perp will have so many holes in him the coroner will be digging different calibers out of his corpse for a week. Sometimes, at work, I'll just take the spare mag out of my pocket and set it back by the rifles and there it will sit till the end of the day.

To and from my home, and elsewhere, I pay a little closer attention to it, but, again, I don't anticipate ever having to use it. It's is there JUST IN CASE, just like my gun is in the first place.

OWB. Got one for each of my carry guns from Comp-Tac when I got my C-tac holsters.

Lead Moderator
    I use either a mag carrier OWB, or a custom ,in the pocket mag pouch , for carrying my 1911 mag in the back pocket.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

ckd
    I answered OWB, which for double stacks I do for comfort, but when I pocket carry, support side front pocket (single stack or speed strips). Vehicle always with spares.

1943 - 2009

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

For me it depends on the gun and holster of the day, and where I am going. If I have the .45 with me I will have at least one spare mag with me either on my belt or on the holster in the fanny pack. If I am carrying one of my 9mms I sometimes dont bother. Unless I am wandering out of my "comfort zone" fifteen rounds of either should allow me to extricate myself from anything I have any business being in.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I almost always carry an extra mag or 2, but where depends on the gun. It's either in my pocket, back pocket (Speed strips), or an OWB mag holder.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I carry two spare mags OWB weak side, every time I put my gun on.

When I was at Gunsite a few years ago I was in the habit of doing my initial load from a magazine carried in my weak-side front pocket, and then doing my reloads from one of my two mag pouches. When the lead instructor saw me loading with a magazine from my pocket he chastised me severely, and told me to always load from my mag pouch.

After pondering on this for a bit, I realized he had a valid point. He wanted me to engrain muscle memory to load from the same place each and every time I load.

Since I donít want to play, ďwhere am I carrying my spare magazines today,Ē I always carry them in the same place every time I put my gun on. If I have to do a reload under pressure, I donít want to be searching several places until I find where I put my reload. Iíve seen plenty of folks do just that during the monthly pistol shoots we run, and donít want it to happen to me when the chips are down.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Kimber Ultra or G-36 IWB at 3:30...
    OWB mag pouch at 8:00...

Stay armed...always an extra mag...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Green View Post
    I carry two spare mags OWB weak side, every time I put my gun on.

When I was at Gunsite a few years ago I was in the habit of doing my initial load from a magazine carried in my weak-side front pocket, and then doing my reloads from one of my two mag pouches. When the lead instructor saw me loading with a magazine from my pocket he chastised me severely, and told me to always load from my mag pouch.

After pondering on this for a bit, I realized he had a valid point. He wanted me to engrain muscle memory to load from the same place each and every time I load.

Since I donít want to play, ďwhere am I carrying my spare magazines today,Ē I always carry them in the same place every time I put my gun on. If I have to do a reload under pressure, I donít want to be searching several places until I find where I put my reload. Iíve seen plenty of folks do just that during the monthly pistol shoots we run, and donít want it to happen to me when the chips are down.
    +1 Great post! I always, always, always have at least one mag on my belt. If you ever need a spare, you'll need it QUICKLY. You'll also most likely be crouching down behind cover, making it impossible to access one carried in a front pocket. (Personally, I'd be real embarrased to die with my magazine stuck in my pocket )

VIP Member
    2 spare 13rd G21 mags for my G30, in a pouch left cargo pocket
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

OWB mag pouch.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links