Holster reviews and more

This is a discussion on Holster reviews and more within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I try and look at the bright side of thangs (if there is any), these guys are so busy that it is unlikely they'll go ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holster reviews and more

Lightbulb Waiting

I try and look at the bright side of thangs (if there is any), these guys are so busy that it is unlikely they'll go outta business due to lack of business. More guys buying-more CCW.

I did not hesitate in ordering the MS VMII @ 6 month wait. That way I avoid the "is it ready yet?" call to the maker. If someone gets huffy over a 3-4 week delay, I can see their point.

Maybe the makers should post longer wait times-the impatients will go elsewhere and they'll probably still have enough orders to keep working through the weekends...

My .02
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

2. Remove Ads

robere, I can understand your frustration here. The only custom holster maker that I have experience with is K&D Holsters. I know that they have changed the wait time on their web site from 8-10 weeks to 10-12 weeks. Kevin is one of the nicest people that I have ever had the opportunity to deal with. IMHO, his CS is second to none. I don't think that he gives you a time that he thinks you want to hear. I think that he is as honest as he possibly can be. I know that he is slammed with work and as he said is trying to get some good help. This has to be a bit tough. There are many here that have ordered and received a holster from K&D Holsters. Those of us that have, know the quality that K&D represents. Kevin knows this also and besides just turning out butt loads of holsters, they have to meet his quality standards also.
    I am an impatient soul and I hate to wait, but when I order "custom", I know it is going to be a while and worth the wait. I am not sure that this makes it any easier though.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

First, thanks for the great holsters reviews!

Second;
    Any vendor would be wise to state estimated delivery times HIGHER than expected.

If someone says I'll receive an item in 10-12 weeks and it takes 14 weeks I'm not happy.

On the other hand if the same vendor says 16-18 weeks and get it in the same 14 weeks I'm happy!

Very simple psychology, and very easy to do.

Bob O,

What happens when the stated time is 6-8 weeks and am now near 52 week's? I just looked up another order that was stated 16-20 week's and I am at 40 week's and counting. So no matter what the wait time say's it is probably not going to happen that way with one man custom leather holster shops, especially if they have a real job other than making holsters.

One took my money and one didn't. Guess which one I had to look up?

Custom leather orders take time, sometimes though it is way out of line and truley boils down to excuses when they get that far out.

To the original poster. Be thankful that K&D only went two week's past their stated delivery. I would take that anyday over what I am waiting.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Bob O,

What happens when the stated time is 6-8 weeks and am now near 52 week's? I just looked up another order that was stated 16-20 week's and I am at 40 week's and counting. So no matter what the wait time say's it is probably not going to happen that way with one man custom leather holster shops, especially if they have a real job other than making holsters.

One took my money and one didn't. Guess which one I had to look up?

Custom leather orders take time, sometimes though it is way out of line and truley boils down to excuses when they get that far out.

To the original poster. Be thankful that K&D only went two week's past their stated delivery. I would take that anyday over what I am waiting.

Ti

i would love a 52 week wait

im going on almost 3+ years for leather that was paid for

VIP Member
    Three years!?! Wow, that's truly ridiculous. I guess it puts my two months overdue (on a 2-3 month quoted time) into perspective - and the vendor doesn't charge until the order is being worked on - but still.

Who knows what their life will be like in 3 years? You may have a different carry gun, you may find a holster style you like better...heck, you may be dead! It just seems insane to be expected to wait some 5% of your adult life for something as relatively minor as a few ounces of leather....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have not purchased a custom holster because I am satisfied with the Galco stuff and am too impatient to wait months for a nicer looking rig. Nonetheless, I expect to buy one or more at some point. I've read many threads about customers waiting for holsters and it seems a common theme is that customers don't so much mind the wait but are instead are put off by the fact that their expected wait time is not met.

I suggest that this is where holster makers can do a better job. I know it's cliche, but custom holster makers are in the customer satisfaction business and not the leathermaking business. A little customer communication on whether the holster is on schedule along the way can keep the satisfaction level much higher. This distinguishes the good holster makers from the good holster businesses, which will get my repeat orders.

To keep customers satisfied and not run afoul of their expected wait time, I suggest to first post a big bold disclaimer on your website that delivery times are ESTIMATED ONLY and that actual delivery can vary by several months. Many holster makers already do that but not strongly enough. Second, send the customer an e-mail confirmation of the order that tells them the expected delivery time at that point and the same message as on your website. Obviously this means that you must get an email address at the time of the order. In the confirmation e-mail state that you will e-mail the customer if it appears that the order is being delayed by more than one month. Then do it.

I don't believe it would be difficult to set up an internal deadline and notification system for the production of holsters. Rather than monitor every individual order for whether it is meeting the deadline, you can group orders and send late e-mail notifications according to the week the orders are received. There are many ways that keeping track of orders and their deadlines can be done. I know how I would do it, but each holster maker can determine for himself what system works best within his business. Each time the holster is pushed back a month or some other predetermined amount of time that the customer is told about at the time of confirmation, the customer will get an additional e-mail advising him or her of that. At the very least, the customer is not wondering whether the order got lost.

Finally, send out an e-mail when the order is shipped. No customer should have to face the disappointment of going to the mailbox every day expecting their order when it's still sitting at the shop. Holster makers that simply receive orders and send them out whenever they can get to them are not doing their customers any favors. That aspect of the business needs to change.

I've written off a holster I ordered, it was due in Nov. never heard another word, doubt I'll ever see it. Others in the past have gone well past delivery times. Also recently got one that is totally unacceptable and will be sent back. I'm about ready to become an off the rack purchaser. If I can't see it & touch it, I don't need it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I've written off a holster I ordered, it was due in Nov. never heard another word, doubt I'll ever see it. Others in the past have gone well past delivery times. Also recently got one that is totally unacceptable and will be sent back. I'm about ready to become an off the rack purchaser. If I can't see it & touch it, I don't need it.
    Well you can't go wrong with the 3 company's I ordered from as far as quality. You WILL get your holster and they will stay in touch with you.

I've had a very good experience with Sam Andrews at www.andrewsleather.com Not only was the product quality fantastic, the customer service and delivery were as well. I changed my mind about some accessories, and added things on at the last minute, and Sam still got my order completed and delivered *faster* than he promised.

Class act, all the way

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Three years!?! Wow, that's truly ridiculous. I guess it puts my two months overdue (on a 2-3 month quoted time) into perspective - and the vendor doesn't charge until the order is being worked on - but still.

Who knows what their life will be like in 3 years? You may have a different carry gun, you may find a holster style you like better...heck, you may be dead! It just seems insane to be expected to wait some 5% of your adult life for something as relatively minor as a few ounces of leather....
    i cannot agree with you

i did a trade for some leather goods and love them, then i pre paid to help the guy out and i a get song and dance

i still stay in contact and have rec. other leather from him and i love it but i just want to end the saga and get my holsters and go on with life

jd

Andy Arratoonian at Horsehoe always delivers on time.

This are the customer holster makers I have dealt with and have never had problems with
    K & D Holsters - around 7 holsters
    BlackHills Leather - 2 holsters
    Donner Gun Leather - 1 holster
    Rosen Gun Leather - 1 holster
    Chisholm Trail - 1 holster
    Harlow Leather - 1 holster
    Milt Sparks - 3 holsters
    Rankin Saddlery - 1 holster

All of these guys - especially K & D - have been great on keeping me updated and sending the holsters in the approximate delivery date. Things happen and they can be held up - but all of them have kept me informed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links