Help for an ankle holster

This is a discussion on Help for an ankle holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In order to prevent my drawer full of holsters that I no longer use, I was hoping to reach out to all to see about ...

Thread: Help for an ankle holster

In order to prevent my drawer full of holsters that I no longer use, I was hoping to reach out to all to see about successes with ankle holsters.

I am picking up a new S&W 442 in a week or so, but also wanted to try to use an ankle holster when it is a BUG. As I know very little about them, I was hoping to get a couple of ideas to narrow the search down.

Let me know if you have worn an ankle holster, and if you have, what has been the best, most concealable, and comfortable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Avoid a Fobus.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Renegade is about the best there is for the money, around 50 bucks...it's a pull thru strap so you just grab and yank...and it fits under straight leg jeans since it's not hard molded....mine even fits inside my half boots....

Do you have to do anything different because you carry on your ankle? I just have never thought about ankle carry, but there are times that I cannot conceal as well as I would like with dress pants on before someone notices something flopping...

Thanks for the pics as well. I think this is definately something that I am now even more interested in...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

I have heard great things about the Renegade also but have no experience with it. I carry a 442 in a Desantis Apache. I have tried custom leather ankle holsters and still find that the Apache works better for me. It is a lower profile, lighter weight (3 oz.) and rides much higher than a leather. I think the key factor is the ability to cone the velcro so it fits your ankle/leg better. The leather holsters only utilize one strap. IMO heavier guns (G27) can benefit from the added support of leather but an Airweight doesn't need it, think minimalist.

I am going to give a Desantis Ankle Glove a try-on since many swear by that.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'd recommend the Renegade too. I used one on Patrol for 6-7 yrs. w/o any problems. It worked fine while wearing suits, too, but I preferred other methods of carry is it's my primary gun.

I've heard positive things about the Desantis, but I'm not familiar with it, personlly.

One nice thing about the Renegade (& I do not know if this is true on the others), but they use a stretch nylon strap over the rear of the trigger guard for a J-frame. You don't unsnap ANYTHING, just draw. It's quick & secure, 2 things that are VERY important on an ankle rig.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I've got a neoprene Desantis for my 642. I use it when I need deeper concealment than IWB or pocket carry allow. It's been great for what it is but the draw from an ankle rig is slow so I prefer it as a BUG rig rather than primary if at all possible - but when there's no other practical choice I'm really glad I gave it.
    Jack

Sponsored Links