Fanny Pack or IWB for Summer CCW

This is a discussion on Fanny Pack or IWB for Summer CCW within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to ccw and have an XD45 Compact and colt 1911 Government. I bought a Desantis Tuck -This IWB for my XD just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fanny Pack or IWB for Summer CCW

Fanny Pack or IWB for Summer CCW

I am new to ccw and have an XD45 Compact and colt 1911 Government. I bought a Desantis Tuck -This IWB for my XD just to try out something. This rig seems a little uncomfortable for summer use and I am a chubby gun (I know, lose some weight) but am seriously thinking about use of a fanny pack. On other forums a lot of comments how it uncool they look, is a tell to LEO or the BG that you are packin, but why would that be a problem if you are carrying ccw legally in it. Does anyone share my thinking or have another thought. Thanks for input

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Black or OD green fanny packs may suggest gun, but maybe try a Camelbak Goblin or off color fanny pack . I had a Tuck this and found it to be less than useful for my needs.
    A good IWB will work better, but wearing shorts and no belt can be a problem too. I sometimes us a belly band holster too, but they can get uncomfortable and too warm as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

When I walk of a day I normally carry in my Black Hawk fanny pack. I am not much on belly bands, and the fanny pack allows me quick access to my gun. Yeah, it can "telegraph" that you are packing, but I think that most COPS figure that if you are wearing one, that you have a license. As far as the would be assailant's, if they think that I am wearing a gun, they are less likely to approach me because they are not looking for a fight! They are looking for easy pickin's!!!

I am of the thought that if no one knows I am carrying, no one will try to shoot me with my own gun.

A fanny pack seems like purse carry to me. If it is on your body concealed in a very easy possition to get at, it will be less likely to cause problems while on the draw. So, I vote on the IWB carry. If you are wearing a garment that will not allow IWB, then buy a smaller gun for pocket carry. The less obvious you are, the less likely you are to be a "stand out" target.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs. I think fanny pack and off body carry is just a plain lazy way to carry.

If you really have to I think the Hawkepak Micro GunPak-1 is one of the more "fashionable" ones.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Assistant Administrator
    To be honest - if you have some degree of choice over carry garments then an OWB rig would be super comfortable and you could 'hide'' the XD with no problem.

I am comfort driven and because my lifestyle allows plenty of choice for cover garments .. OWB is way I go ..... comfort all the way.

I have fanny packs I can use but gotta say - these days I can't recall last time I used one. I get super hot and sweaty too BTW - but still ... well covered OWB is my choice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I have been known to carry a fanny pack at certain times. In Phoenix, it's hot (imagine that) and I wear shorts that don't have enough in the waistband. At times like this I have packed in a fanny pack. But, like Chris, although I have a couple of them I rarely carry with it any more. The last two times I have worn it has been on vacations in Hawaii to just keep my stuff in and out of pockets so you can go in the water without a lot of hassle. Those that assume I am carrying my gun because I have a fanny pack on would now be mistaken.

That being said, I have found my preferred way to carry. I have both an IWB and OWB holster and alternate between them. Either jeans or shorts with a tucked in tshirt and a button-up shirt overshirt, untucked. Even in Phoenix, it's a pretty good way to conceal. If an IWB holster doesn't feel right, the overshirt will cover a full size 1911 on a belt holster as long as it is the type that holds the gun high and tight....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

When it is really hot and my wife and I are going for a power walk. A non-gun looking waist (fanny) pack works well to hold my gun in the outside pocket and other things on the inside with some water.

I have discovered the joy of linen shirts in the summer and lets me carry OWB and that is much better than IWB for comfort in the hot summer.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    In my city I have hardly ever seen a male with a fanny pack. So if I did I do not think someone would think you are packing but instead they might think you are a tourist which now might make you a target.

VIP Member
    Another way to go is a Maxpedition Fatboy or Jumbo Fatboy.
    There are a few threads here about them.

I wear my VersaMax-II IWB almost all year. In really cold weather I do take a break and use my Galco Concealable OWB though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Personally I don't use a "Fanny Pack" and I carry in the heat too, just down the road from Phoenix. I wear an N-Frame Revolver with a 4" Barrel in either an IWB or an OWB made by a custom holster maker.

The size of the gun you can conceal when you learn to "Dress Around The Gun" and use good leather is remarkable. My OWB is a Del Fatti. I'm waiting on a Garrity IWB, I have a Rosen IWB, waiting on a Sparks IWB and a Delfatti IWB. Good leather is where it's at.

By the way, I'm not a big guy either. 5'06" and 140 pounds soaking wet. Today I concealed wearing Cargo Shorts and a Polo Shirt with my Delfatti OWB.

Biker

I carry regularly using a safepacker. It looks like a gadget or PDA bag not a fanny pack and can be carried on a belt, shoulder strap, fanny pack style or even just in your off hand like a pda.

I think the safepacker is another good option for anyone and especially for me in my wheelchair and is far from a lazy choice.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" — Sen. Jesse Helms

Senior Moderator
    Down here in central Florida, there are fanny packs everywhere, so it's not really that much of a tell-tale.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Both! I use both depending on my mode of dress, where I am going, weather conditions. They both have their place.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Personally I don't use a "Fanny Pack" and I carry in the heat too, just down the road from Phoenix. I wear an N-Frame Revolver with a 4" Barrel in either an IWB or an OWB made by a custom holster maker.

By the way, I'm not a big guy either. 5'06" and 140 pounds soaking wet. Today I concealed wearing Cargo Shorts and a Polo Shirt with my Delfatti OWB.

Biker

I think this requires picks....I'm only an inch taller and a few pounds heaier and there is no way I could hide an N-frame without a mumu...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links