Smart Carry Holster

This is a discussion on Smart Carry Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see this holster was brought up in another thread ... Any one with any first hand exp i wonder if it would be the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart Carry Holster

Smart Carry Holster

I see this holster was brought up in another thread ... Any one with any first hand exp i wonder if it would be the deal for work ... Since im not supposed to carry there but trips to the hood well ya know

2. Remove Ads

I'm bumping this thread because I too would like to know if it gets in the way. I'm considering one for my little 642 and one for my 686 just because.

Funny, I'm looking for my first carry holster, and was just at the Thunderwear site. I was gonna ask if anybody had experience with either Smartcarry or Thunderwear.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Also Anyone who is a large fellow use one i know you dang skinny people and get away with them but what about us who have dunlaps

Actually Bud my dad has used similar products in the past. He loves them and he's quite heavy. That seems to be one of the strengths of this carry method is that it doesn't care how skinny you are or aren't.

Assistant Administrator
    I bought one from Charlie over 2 years ago - he carries his 1911 daily in his he says.

I tried my P95 in it first - it worked but rather bulky gun.

Best use for it I found was for SP-101, or R9. I hardly use mine but that is because I am fortunate to very rarely need deep concealment. Even SW99 sits in it nice too now I think on it.

Bottom line - it works and well - but you DO have to familiarize for a bit with ''tackle handling'' logistics. Plus of course - it ain't the fastest draw device.

It is IMO well worth having one even if only for occasional use.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I plan on ordering one of these within the week. I'll post my initial results when I get it. In the meantime, if anyone else has a recommendation or experience, please post!

Cool the smartcarry

I’ve used a smartcarry for about 2 years now as my primary carry holster. My only prob I’ve had with it is difficulty in drawing a weapon from it in a vehicle(seated position). However all I do is just raise the holster to belt level until the butt of my weapon is just above my belt line when I’m driving for a quick draw if needed, then just push it down lower when I get out of my vehicle. I carry a 3” Sp101 and a 642 in this holster and there is a second smaller pouch for speedloader/clip/or speedstrips. I can carry my Sp in this holster with nothing more than a boxer type swim suit on and nobody knows your carrying! Its also nice because you can tuck your shirt if you want.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Thumbs up Thunderwear review

I've had one for about 5 months now. I am 5'8" and 180 pounds. I carry a s&w 442 in it.

Drawbacks:
    - slow draw
    - both hands required to draw
    - the butt of the gun will print if your pants fit tight (properly fitted 501's for example)

Advantages:
    - ability to conceal a handgun wearing just jeans and a T-shirt (tucked or not)
    - ability to conceal a handgun wearing just jeans!
    - ability to conceal a handgun wearing nothing but swimming trunks!!
    - will NOT print when wearing properly fitted "loose" type pants (levi's 550 or dockers, or 5.11 pants for example)

I have no problem using the "facilities" while wearing this, even a urinal! The elasticity of the strap allows you to just push the "pouch part of the holster up and to the side.
    Sitting down and/or driving are not a problem.

I think the size of the handgun will dictate how well you like this holster. My J-frame loves it. I've seen the web ad about using it with a 1911 and have my doubts to about that being practical.
    I would not hesitate to buy another one. :)
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've had one for a little over a year. I'm 5'7", 175. A Bersa Thunder .380 was uncomfortable for me. I then went with a S&W J frame. that works really well but the butt did print a little. One of the guys who posted brought up an excellent point and that's how the pants fit. With good fitting pleated pants I can carry without anyone really knowing, however, it gets a little tight down there when you sit. Charlie says you can't see the bulge from the butt and mentiones that no one will look "there", however, I do feel certain weapons have a more prenounced butt like a revolver. So the next weapon I tried was a KelTec .380. that was just about perfect except I can't trust my KelTec to fire when I pull the trigger.

I really think the key to using this holster is to wear pants decidedly on the baggy side. It'll work for work if the weapon is small enough. I do think you can conceal a 1911 in one if you have the right build, loose pants, and don't get too active.

Assistant Administrator
    Charlie says you can't see the bulge from the butt and mentions that no one will look "there"
    I do honestly think Charlie has a point there - even if some ''bulge'' I would not expect folk's gaze to linger long, plus - I guess most of might agree, that while we are almost all playing the ''spot the carry game'' - your average blissninny is probably blind to most things like that. Add the proliferation of cell phones, Leatherman type stuff and really - I think we worry too much.

That said - 100% no print always feels better.

''Is that a gun I see in your crotch''??

''Why - you gonna check it''?? LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    LOL, I don't know about you guys but "I would not expect folk's gaze to linger long" would be an bigtime understatement for me. I would, however, probably spot it on a woman....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have to agree

Here in VA we have to open carry when we go to a place that serves liquer for onsite consumption. I have noticed that most people do not even notice that I am carrying in the open let alone when concealed. Most people are not observent and caught up in their own little worlds. People who do carry tend to have an heightened awareness of their own packing a therefore feel all notice it when the opposite is really true.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I do honestly think Charlie has a point there - even if some ''bulge'' I would not expect folk's gaze to linger long, plus - I guess most of might agree, that while we are almost all playing the ''spot the carry game'' - your average blissninny is probably blind to most things like that. Add the proliferation of cell phones, Leatherman type stuff and really - I think we worry too much.

That said - 100% no print always feels better.

''Is that a gun I see in your crotch''??

''Why - you gonna check it''?? LOL.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 649 .357 mag daily in a smart carry at work as a truck driver, with no problems. Using the bathroom the first 2 days will be interesting for you, but you will figure it out and should have no other problems.

Smartcarry at 3:00

I have a Springfield Commander-sized 1911, and I carry it in a SmartCarry at 3:00. Wearing it at 12:00 was too uncomfortable for me, especially when sitting down, but I find that 3:00 works great.

My 1911 (all stainless) is a pretty heavy gun, so I have to make sure the SmartCarry is on pretty tight. My wife is going to make some modifications for me that will work better for 3:00 carry (altering the gun pocket so there is a cant to it, maybe shorten the elastic part a little.)

All that said, I find my 1911 conceals very well at 3:00, but I have to be wearing a t-shirt and a button shirt over it. For summer carry (t-shirt weather) , I will probably get a smaller pistol such as a CZ Rami.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links