Recent Leather Work

This is a discussion on Recent Leather Work within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice work Kevin! I hadn't seen beaver tail used before, what sizes are possible - full coverage holsters or is it limited to accent pieces? ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent Leather Work

Nice work Kevin! I hadn't seen beaver tail used before, what sizes are possible - full coverage holsters or is it limited to accent pieces? How's the durability in terms of scuffs and scrapes? Nice knife sheath too.
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Nice Kevin.

Nice work Kevin. I really like that holster with the beaver on it!

Outstanding !! Kevin
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Jack -

We've used the beaver tail strictly for accent pieces so far. We might be able to do a full coverage holster, such as our Maverick Defender, for a smaller, shorter barrel, such as a 3" 1911. And if we get one that's in good shape from edge to edge, we might be able to stretch it to a 4" 1911. It would definitely have to be a slim-line style of holster, as the overall size of the beaver tail is not very large, and goes from wide at the top to a somewhat narrow, rounded bottom edge. Here's a pic of us using it as an accent on a Laredo Defender:

Beaver tail is a very durable and somewhat dent/impression resistant type of skin. It reminds me a lot of being like shark or elephant in that respect. It definitely provides for a different texture appearance.

With respect to the knife sheath, I enjoy doing them almost as much as the holsters. We can get somewhat elaborate with those as well, and we've used a variety of skins. Here's a couple of pics of one we did for the folks at Surefire Flashlights and one we did for a "fantasy" knife:

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Great work , do you have a list of the exotics you have avalable for accent work and price ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Oh man! I like those knife sheaths. I typically use IWB holsters, so I personally don't see the need for exotics on my gun holsters (That's just me, but I do enjoy looking at what others are getting), but for a fixed blade knife, that's a different story. In my state, we have to open carry our fixed blades, unless they're 2" or less.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Great info Kevin, thanks!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Great work , do you have a list of the exotics you have avalable for accent work and price ?
    We generally have on hand: shark, alligator, ostrich body, ostrich shin, stingray, elephant trunk, elephant body, eel, anaconda, lizard, black snake, beaver tail, rattle snake, and I think there are a couple of others. The price would be dependent on the skin chosen and how much area we're covering, but it most often starts at an additional $20 over the price of the holster and goes up from there.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Thanks for the info on the exotics and pricing. Ill contemplate a bit on it and call sometime in the next week to visit lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

this wets my appetite I am waiting on a dakota defender with shark skin. should not be to much longer now

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Kevin, the more I see your work the more convinced I am that you could really do a "skeeter wing" holster. You work is beautiful and it's also functional. On a scale of 1- 10 those are 11's.

I've been waiting on a holster for my New Vaquero - and he called the other day and asked if he could do something different to it - I told him sure -
    I just found out this one is mine!!! So the moral of the story - let him do whatever he wants to your holsters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I've been waiting on a holster for my New Vaquero - and he called the other day and asked if he could do something different to it - I told him sure -
    I just found out this one is mine!!! So the moral of the story - let him do whatever he wants to your holsters!!!
    That's gotta make you grin from ear to ear.
    How many of Kevin's holsters do you have now? I know it's several, wasn't that Anaconda revolver rig your's too?
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Incredible edging.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links