Best way to break in a new leather holster?

Best way to break in a new leather holster?

This is a discussion on Best way to break in a new leather holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi there, I have recently purchased the Galco "Scout" IWB holster. While it is a very nicely made holster, the leather is quite tough. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best way to break in a new leather holster?

Question Best way to break in a new leather holster?

Hi there,

I have recently purchased the Galco "Scout" IWB holster. While it is a very nicely made holster, the leather is quite tough. It is so tough that when I holster my Sig P229, the slide starts to rack back. I have to hold the slide with my thumb when placing the gun into the holster in order to prevent the slide movement.

Does anyone have any ideas on breaking in new leather holsters? Any good tricks?

Thanks

I always wrap the unloaded gun in either a few plastic bags or pieces of waxpaper and place it in the holster overnight. Usually will have to keep slide seated with my hand. Then I'll work the gun (wrapped in bags) in and out of the holster while wearing it. This will usually do it. Just be careful not to stretch the leather too much.

Administrator
    Just like a baseball glove...
    "Just blame Sixto"

The best way to break in a new holster is to buy a holster from Ken L. Null http://www.klnullholsters.com/ Why? Ken's excellent holsters require no break in, you can use them as soon as you receive one. I asked Ken about this subject and his reply was he uses real handguns to mold his holsters. Regards, Richard

Just get some leather lightning from Mitch Rosen and your holster will be just right in ten seconds.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Administrator

A Moderator Note

It's sort of off topic to the thread when a member asks what the best way is to break in a specific brand of holster...and then that member is told to buy a different holster.

That is not all that different from a member asking a question about a S&W revolver being told to Buy A Glock.
    Please try to stay on topic to the thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I bought a Fist Holster for my XD40SC and it was tight like that too. I put warm water in it (briefly) and wrapped the gun in 2 layers of plastic for a few hours then took out the gun and let it dry overnight. It helped. It's still a tad tight, but is getting better all the time..

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I put mine in a thin sock and put it in the holster over night.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I am at somewhat of a disadvantage here...I was born and raised in a country where nobody played baseball so I have never owned a baseball glove. I will have a look on the Web and see what people do to break their gloves in.

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    The best way to break in a new holster is to buy a holster from (...)
    That is not an option at this point in time.

Other than that it seems to me that overall consensus is to wrap my gun in something and shove it into the holster for some time. I will give that a try.

Thanks everyone!

Below is some info from Gary's website, this can apply to other makes of holsters too... (if you don't have wax paper use plastic bags)

Holster Break In

Carefully unload the weapon and wrap it with 2 layers of wax paper (with the wax to the outside), and seat it fully into the holster. Let it sit overnight. Next, work the weapon in and out of the holster a few dozen times. Remove the paper and try it. If it is still too tight, then repeat the process with 3 layers of wax paper. Continue until you get it close to the desired fit (be sure not to overdo it - it is rather difficult to un-stretch leather). Discard the paper and do a few dozen practice draws. The holster should now be sufficiently broken in to allow you to wear it and finalize the break in process. This is done by repeatedly drawing the weapon while the holster is actually being worn. Be advised that a properly broken-in holster should retain the weapon during vigorous physical activity, yet still release the firearm for a smooth draw.

Do not apply oil of any kind to any Brommeland product.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Do not apply oil of any kind to any Brommeland product.
    That is the bottom line from just about every good holster maker you'll talk to.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've tried the plastic bag method, it works but it's slow and the plastic adds a bit of friction while trying to seat the gun. I've had much better luck using two or three layers of wax paper and leaving the the gun overnight (or roughly eight hours) as Gary Brommeland advises. The wax seems to add a bit of dry lubrication to the inside of the holster while breaking it in. After six to eight hours in wax paper I put the holster on and do a few practice draws (with the wax paper) to see if it's broken into my liking. From there it's either ready to carry or I'll rewrap the gun and let it set for another couple of hours and check it again. Works like a charm for me.
    Jack

I always marvel at such threads as this one. I've bought four holsters from Milt Sparks and have never needed to do any "break in" with them! They are always just right; snug enough to hold but not too tight.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

How do you break your glove in?

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I always marvel at such threads as this one. I've bought four holsters from Milt Sparks and have never needed to do any "break in" with them! They are always just right; snug enough to hold but not too tight.
    My VMII was a little tight, and I used the plastic bag it came in like their web site suggested, just overnight...... Fixed it right up.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links