mag in pocket?

mag in pocket?

This is a discussion on mag in pocket? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i was just looking at mag pouches when i realized how nicely my mag fits in my front pocket (i was surprised since girl pockets ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mag in pocket?

mag in pocket?

i was just looking at mag pouches when i realized how nicely my mag fits in my front pocket (i was surprised since girl pockets are quite small). in my pocket it is 100% concealed, theres still room for me to put other stuff in there if i need to, i can access it very quickly.
    i know a lot of ppl around here keep their mag in their front, back, or cargo pocket. i was wondering if there is any problem with lint getting in there or a round wiggling our or anything?

Lead Moderator
    I carry my 1911 mag in my back pocket. I use a kydex holder to keep it upright and along side my wallet. I have found double stack mags are too thick to be comfortable for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Depends on the mag. Glock mags are fine, but Sig or Kahr mags tend to loose a round.
    It also depends on the pants. Some of my pants pockets will hold the mag in the proper position, others the mag just floats around. I dont like that. I need to know that the mag is going to come out of my pocket the same way everytime so I'm not fumbling with the mag when I need bullets right now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

mine is a little 1911 mag and it stays where it should.
    are there pocket mag holsters out there?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    mine is a little 1911 mag and it stays where it should.
    are there pocket mag holsters out there?
    Yup. Most pocket holster makers make 'em.

http://www.desantisholster.com/m38.html

There are others, but I just happened to be on their website.

While we are going down that road, why would someone buy a pocket holster with the mag pouch sewn right in on the holster? I've been seing more and more of these latley... whats the point?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Here is what I made.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I've never cared for a mag in my front pocket with jeans, it tends to poke me when I bend or sit. (back pocket works ok with single stacks) With slacks it works ok and I've slipped double stacks in cargo pockets with no problems.

VIP Member
    I carry my spare magazine in my front pocket when I am using an ankle holster. I haven't had any problems thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I carry my spare magazine in my front pocket when I am using an ankle holster. I haven't had any problems thus far.
    I'm not picking on you personally, but you just gave me an opportunity to point something out:

A lot of folks make statements like this, but the true test of any technique (or piece of equipment) is "Has it worked/will it work for you when you actually need it"? Range work for most folks is pretty laid back. The street can be much different. In this case, most anyone reloading or clearing a malf under fire will be squatting, kneeling or crouching low behind cover. (The only possible exception is if you would happen to have a concrete wall or dumpster available to stand behind). So, what happens to that magazine in your front pocket while you are all scrunched down? It becomes trapped and totally inaccessible. Then what? BG figures out that you're out of the fight, and does a "Newhall" to you. (Google up "Newhall Incident" if you're curious) You will then be DRT (dead right there), but will have died with an extra $40-$50 in your bank account because you didn't buy a good mag pouch.
    Carrying a firearm for self defense is a lot like wearing a seatbelt in a car or a parachute in an airplane. Odds are that you will never, need it. However, if you do, you need it to work WELL.

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree with Gary , shooting , training from real world positions will help to understand what will/will not work to a large extent. I learned thru training my double mag pouch on my duty rig needed to be switched so I could access my mags while prone.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Excellent point Gary.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    I'm not picking on you personally, but you just gave me an opportunity to point something out:
    Understood:

When I carry in an ankle holster, I do so because my clothing options are such that I cannot carry a IWB/OWB holster or a magazine pouch. Tuckables don't work for me. My other option would be not to carry a firearm and/or a spare magazine at all, which is not an option. So I do what I can based upon the circumstances.

When I am able to carry IWB/OWB, I always use a magazine pouch.

I usually only take one extra mag with me...and it's in a OWB mag holder...out of the way...not filling a pocket...and easy to access...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Understood:

When I carry in an ankle holster, I do so because my clothing options are such that I cannot carry a IWB/OWB holster or a magazine pouch. .
    One possible option would be a mag pouch made for a left back pocket (Would probably only work with a single stack mag).
    Another approach would be something like that neoprene thing that Galco makes on the ankle opposite the holster - I haven't tried one personally, but have heard that they'll carry a mag pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Gotta agree with Gary , shooting , training from real world positions will help to understand what will/will not work to a large extent. I learned thru training my double mag pouch on my duty rig needed to be switched so I could access my mags while prone.
    Another thing that helps with this is a good dose of common sense. You can pay someone else to show you things you could do on your own, or, spend some time and find what works.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links