Print Resistant Clothes: Colors and Prints

This is a discussion on Print Resistant Clothes: Colors and Prints within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I recently joined and have been enjoying the forum. While I've noticed a few comments in passing, I don't see a lot of talk ...

Thread: Print Resistant Clothes: Colors and Prints

Print Resistant Clothes: Colors and Prints

Hi,

I recently joined and have been enjoying the forum. While I've noticed a few comments in passing, I don't see a lot of talk about clothes, esp. the use of colors and prints to reduce printing.

While I've had a carry permit for a decade or two, I've recently gotten more serious about carrying more full time. As a result, dealing with more challenging clothing situations.

When carrying with only a shirt over the weapon, I'm concerned about printing. It has been stated, and it makes a lot of sense to me that prints, esp. random ones make it difficult to pick up shapes.

I'd like to get everyone's thinking and experience with the relationship between color, contrast, randomness, etc.

My thinking at this point is the best option is dark with random prints. Some examples:

Example 1 - Dark Tie-Die T-Shirt
    Example 2 - Dark batik shirt
    Example 3 - Dark, high contrast batik shirt

How dark does it need to be to get maximum benefit?

Example 4 - Grey batik shirt

What is the relationship between "loud" and dark in effectiveness?

Example 5 - Loud, black and white shirt

How about the relationship of effectiveness of random vs. non-random prints against these other factors?

Example 6 - Patterned shirt

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-john

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've purchased four shirts with tropical-style prints in the last few months for summer carry. I generally purchase them one size larger than I normally wear, and I test the pattern in the store by putting my hand inside the shirt and trying to see my hand through it. Since I'm a public-school teacher, this has been at Wal-Mart. Not too expensive ($9.44 a shirt), and they have worked for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

And yes, I think dark with a bold pattern is generally better.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I've purchased four shirts with tropical-style prints in the last few months for summer carry. I generally purchase them one size larger than I normally wear, and I test the pattern in the store by putting my hand inside the shirt and trying to see my hand through it. Since I'm a public-school teacher, this has been at Wal-Mart. Not too expensive ($9.44 a shirt), and they have worked for me.

I use the same hand test when shopping for gun shirts also and then I try it on. Patterns do seem to help alot, even stripes which is what I mostly have right now. It all helps to break up the shape of a weapon.

Senior Moderator
    I find that light colors with patterns also work very well and in the summer the light colors can help with keeping cool.

I have a white shirt with red checkers, a full white shirt with just some white stitching, a white shirt with blue scrolling prints.

I find that shirts that are shiny, such as silk can be bad because the light reflects off of the folds in the material as it flows over your gun and even makes the printing worse.

You'll find what's right for you!

Thanks for the comments so far. Just to clarify I'm not looking for recommendations on specific shirts for me or anything, just a discussion of the topic, although I am interested to hear what people have chosen for themselves and why.

I figured I'd learn something from the discussion and already have.

Don't know why I didn't think of something as common sense as the hand test! Doh!

Avoiding shiny makes sense as well.

Thanks,

-john

I carry a large frame 4" revolver off-duty, either IWB or OWB.

I won't go in to what I wear as far as suits, but I favor cargo shorts and Polo Shits on my own time. I find that a dark Polo type shirt one size too large hides my weapon very well.

To me the trick is to use a good belt/holster combo, like my Del Fatti. There are some good holster makers out there, and with a good holster you can surprise yourself as far as what you are able to carry.

I personally find the large revolver easier to hide than my Glock 19. Yesterday I was wearing jeans and an untucked Polo Shirt with an OWB Pancake Holster. I was at a party with about twenty Federal LEO's, and nobody picked up on the fact that I was "packing" until we started dancing.

Prints are a good way to break up the "patern" and slightly too large clothing is "in style" so I find it easy to conceal.

Biker

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post

Good shirts for cover, but they shrink!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I wear untucked polo shirts, khaki's/jeans most of the time in solid colors, IWB carry. While a "loud" pattern shirt may help hide the gun, mostly I think a good holster is a better investment. Plus (sorry to say), most of those shirts you've listed I wouldn't bury a dead homeless man in.....j/k.

I think my iPhone prints much more than my firearm...lol.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Wow.

You won't have to pull your piece 'cause some of those clothes will blind the BG's.....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Good shirts for cover, but they shrink!
    So far mine have not, as long as I line-dry them.

I don't worry as much about printing as I used to ... as years of hugging people in church - some who's hand occasionally brushes on my carry piece - has not produced the smallest amount of suspicion.

That said - from my own observations in the mirror, my dark colored hawaiin shirts seem to do the best job of breaking up and noticable pattern. Of course, nothing beats a suit jacket!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I put on my Glock 30 the other day to wear around the house and a very large Hawaiian style shirt. Gun printed big time. I have a good gun belt, but I think I should have purchased and 1 1/2" belt vs. 1 1/4

I sure like the Glock 30, but it may become my "door" gun and the Walther P99 my carry weapon.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Links