fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL - Page 2

fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL

This is a discussion on fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think Fobus gives you what you pay for; Personally, I have used Fobus as much as I have used Blade-tech and I have had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL

I think Fobus gives you what you pay for; Personally, I have used Fobus as much as I have used Blade-tech and I have had failures with neither. This includes IDPA matches and practice where I have caught both on doorways, stage props, car doors, etc and have never had one break. I also CCW with my 1911 with a Fobus Paddle and have done so confidently for several years now. As far as someone trying to snatch my gun, that can happen to anyone who is foolish enough to let their guard down and allow someone to get that close to them while they are carrying. It reminds me of an incident I was involved in at a company picnic back in 1996 while I was carrying with my fanny pack, which I often did while riding my motorcycle. One of my co-workers boldly stated that carrying did no good whatsoever because anyone could come up behind me and just unbuckle my fanny pack and take it away from me. I told him that he had had too much beer and should not even consider trying; needless to say, he did and ended up in the emergency room with torn ligaments in his wrist. While being focused on grabbing my fanny pack/gun, he had forgotten to think about the fact that maybe I knew how to defend myself without the use of a gun. So, my take on this is that the Fobus holster is as good as any other holster out there, based on my daily carry habits and performance in simulated stress situations like a match. As for the holster breaking, I can make many holsters out there fail. The only holsters that are really secure are the ones that policemen wear, that are designed from the ground up to be secure from the weapon falling out, but more importantly to prevent a criminal from getting hold of it. Most of us carry concealed, a requirement that demands a holster that has a relatively small footprint, yet allows quick access for presentation. i would be willing to bet that most of the "quality" ccw holsters out there could easily get the weapon snatched in a similar manner by "lifting", etc. The only exception I could think of would be a model with a SERPA feature, but the ones I have seen don't lend themselves to CCW.

Just my thoughts....

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    They are terrible holsters for more reasons than this. Buy three seemingly identical Fobus holsters for the same gun and don't be surprised if they each fit the pistol completely different. Some are way too tight, some are too loose. Even the new adjustable retention is of little help.

Jeffrey, this thread is not about open carry, it is about the poor quality of this holster.
    The "points" were made relative to what could happen to you and your gun while OPEN carrying. Or was that guy wearing a see-through cellophane shirt that I could not detect?

No one is going to KNOW to do that to a gun they are NOT AWARE OF. What I'm saying is that the subject is academic: you don't wear a paddle holster for open carry unless you're stupid, and if you're wearing it properly for concealed carry, who's going to know to come up to you and rip your holster in half??

I have a FOBUS for two GLOCKS and an HK. Never had such problems as you mention.

Fobus and quality should not be used in the same sentence, they are diametrically opposed. Now Fobus and crap, junk, trash, waste of money, POS and words or phrases to that effect can all be readily linked.

But, that's just my experience with and opinion of Fobus. If they work for someone else, so be it.

I have one FOBUS holster; it will be the only one I own. When it was new, it held the gun securely, but after two dozen practice draws, the gun would fall out if you turned the holster upside down.

The retention relies on the trigger guard sliding over a raised 'button' molded into one part of the holster, and spreading the gap (seam) between that part and the opposite part open. In my case, the edge of the trigger guard was sharp enough to shave the plastic off of the 'button', so the spread didn't occur; the fit became so loose that there was no retention at all.

The other problem was that when the holster did have retention, it would frequently pull out of the waistband, without releasing the gun. A poor design, made with cheap materials.

I would suggest a holster with a retention system that uses a strap with a 'thumb break', or one with well molded leather that grips the gun without needing a strap.

I have used Fobus paddles for taking pistol classes, in that respect they are sufficient. For CCW, as mentioned above, no way.

That being said, I do use a Fobus holster for CCW, they are the only ones I have seen so far with this type holster, and it looks like it is only for Glocks. It is a 1-piece polycarbonate IWB holster, and I am satisfied with it for my G27, or occasionally a G17.

For my body type and the clothing I wear everyday, it works for me. Have used it for about 9 months now and no problems. It does not print at all. When I purchased my G17, I tried it out in the holster in the store, the clerk asked me where did the gun go, and I showed him, he did not believe it was a Fobus.

SY

Senior Moderator
    I dint know why the Fobus gets slammed so much. They do what they are supposed to do...they hold the gun.

Sure they can be broken...just like any other holster. They aren't as pretty as leather but they do the job. They aren't the best concealment holster out there but they aren't made to be either. They are just utility holsters that you dint have to pay and arm and a leg for and they have a fair amount of retention. All 3 of mine perform well.

I've got one for the various Sigs, Glock and 1911. They are great for the range. They are all paddles...you simply slip them in and slip them out without having to thread through the belt. Very convenient.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The word "Fobus" and "holster" should not be used in the same sentence....

Senior Moderator
    The word "Fobus" and "holster" should not be used in the same sentence....
    Oh really ?

Are you saying that they dont work ?

Do you hate them so much that you cant beleive that someone else might actually have some use for them ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Calm down.
    Some of that was sarcasm...
    But, I do think they are poorly made and should be only used around the house. I do own a Fobus Paddle so I do have some real life experience with them..

Senior Moderator
    Im calm. Amazingly so...

I dont think that they are poorly made. Not as well made as others but they still serve the purpose.

It plastic. Theres only so much that you can do with the stuff.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Let me say this right off the bat:
    I am the person Redneck spoke of who posted a positive comment about my Fobus holster. I was speaking about the way it performed in a nasty Mountain Bike crash I had Monday night. I was flipped over the handle bars and landed on my stomach at 15 miles an hour, skidded for about 10 feet, rolled onto my side and came to a stop with the gun still held securely in the holster.

Now, let me just clarify something, I own several Fobus Holsters, one for the G23 (the one I was wearing during the crash) one for my Sig P239 (this one is a new Evolution series) and one for the XD. All do what they were made to do, they hold the gun and they are comfortable. All are right side paddle holsters.

I do not wear them for open carry which I do the majority of the time. I use Blackhawk Serpa holsters for open carry. I wear the Fobus when I am riding the bike and it is under a T-shiet or tank top while I am on the bike. I have worn each while concealed carrying and I do not feel that they are any less capable of performing this task than any other holster I have. They surely are no worse than a leather OWB holster with no retention device other than the friction hold.

I also wear for carry around the house, as I sit here now in fact the G23 sits in the Fobus on my right hip. It is perfectly fine for this mode of carry.

In my thread about my bike crash in the humor and off topic section I was merely stating that I was happy with and a little surprised at how well the holster performed in a violent bike crash that had me hitting the ground in a way and direction that could have easily dislodged the gun from the holster if it had not been securely held.

If you don't like them, that is fine. But, for what I ask them to do, they do it pretty well and for a very affordable price.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links