fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL

This is a discussion on fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On a recent thread someone commented how pleased they were with their Fobus Paddle holster/glock combo . Personally I think Fobus holsters are worse than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

fobus quality ? Allrighty then LOL

On a recent thread someone commented how pleased they were with their Fobus Paddle holster/glock combo . Personally I think Fobus holsters are worse than " Mexican carry " since they give a false sense of having a holster .

A 3.5 min vid to illistrate what i am saying

http://abcyber.org/bob/vids/gungrab.mpe

Its a windows media file so should play for about all here .

Stay armed, Stay safe , Get QUALITY equipment . Your life is worth more than the small amount you save on crap like FOBUS .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    . Personally I think Fobus holsters are worse than " Mexican carry " since they give a false sense of having a holster .
    Seconded.

Fobus? Quality? There is substantial information, including the name of another maker, between those two words.

...and the moral of this story is:

"Life's too short to buy a cheap holster and a cheap holster can shorten your life."
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Most of us old hands had hashed this out long ago . However with the influx of new members , and seeing a favorable comment on FOBUS I felt the whole issue was worth one more thread on the board . It took a bit of doing to re find the vid , but now i hosted it so it should stay up lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I see no problems with FOBUS for use on the range, but would not suggest using them in a carry situation. If you are just shooting IDPA or another sport that requires a holster, they are a good buy to get into the sport at a very low cost.

With that said, after you start shooting more you will find that you will want to upgrade your equipment, which will mean a new holster also.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

I actually still use one......except it is screwed in under my desk beside my bed for use at night. Totally hidden but extremely fast access if I need it.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Lead Moderator
    I don't see it that bad for CC use. Other than the way it sticks out off my side. Unless
    1. someone knows you are carrying they cannot grab it.
    2. they know how to twist , it more than likely will not break off.
    3. It is still better than a universal nylon holster with no retention
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wow. Thanks for posting that. I was considering one of those. Not now.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

For carry around the house or working in the yard under hot conditions, I'll stick with my fobus paddle.

They're not for conceal carry anyway.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'm gonna stick up and say that I have a couple of FOBUS holsters for my GLOCKs (although I'm not sure if I'm the poster mentioned in the thread starter or not) and I like them, and I do occasionally use them for concealed carry.

When I carry concealed, I carry concealed. That means I'm not only judicious, I am conscientious. I choose clothing that is going to keep the gun concealed. I choose movements that are going to keep the gun concealed.

The video shows someone open carrying with a paddle holster. Well DUH! Gee whiz, is it a surprise that someone can snatch the gun?

I'm not talking about the holster breaking. (Though frankly, I don't see how that's so easy to do; is it possible that the holster in the video was somehow primed to break? We can't know. Think "Dateline/exploding pickup truck.") I'm talking about snatching it. What fool would wear a paddle holster for OPEN carry? Even if a paddle holster has provisions for gun locking/retention, the holster itself can be taken from you too easily--forget about breaking it off, they can just lift it off.

The only way I would open carry (as if I ever would) would be with a belt-slide holster, so the entire assembly can't just be lifted away from me; and with the holster having some sort of lock on the gun that has to be actuated to release it on the draw (these are common now).

So I think the video is a tempest in a teapot. Maybe I'm one of only two or three guys here who think so, but that's what I think.

They are terrible holsters for more reasons than this. Buy three seemingly identical Fobus holsters for the same gun and don't be surprised if they each fit the pistol completely different. Some are way too tight, some are too loose. Even the new adjustable retention is of little help.

Jeffrey, this thread is not about open carry, it is about the poor quality of this holster.

Lead Moderator
    I think PJ makes some good points. I have used and known other who used Fobus holsters for CC. They are not as bad as some make em out to be. Sure a few might be loose fit, but anything mass produced is bound to have a few bad ones.
    Carry with no holster better? Please , get realistic. One can run and jump and retain a gun better with a Fobus than in the waistband.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Fobus holsters are specifically prohibited by my agency, FWIW.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I think PJ makes some good points. I have used and known other who used Fobus holsters for CC. They are not as bad as some make em out to be. Sure a few might be loose fit, but anything mass produced is bound to have a few bad ones.
    Carry with no holster better? Please , get realistic. One can run and jump and retain a gun better with a Fobus than in the waistband.
    If you really have to limit yourself to $20 for a holster, there's always Uncle Mike's "kydex". There are other inexpensive options in true custom molded kydex such as Grandfather Oak and G-Code. There are also a lot of cheap leather holsters as well. I wouldn't recommend going holster-less, but your options are certainly not limited to Fobus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links