need more opinions

This is a discussion on need more opinions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Milt Sparks 55BN $80 http://www.desantisholster.com/002.html DeSantis Speed Scabbard $40 (thumb break model available) Hume Open Top $40 Rafter S OWB $45 Tucker Gunleather HF1 ...

Thread: need more opinions

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar

need more opinions

The Milt Sparks 55BN $80

http://www.desantisholster.com/002.html
    DeSantis Speed Scabbard $40 (thumb break model available)

Hume Open Top $40

Rafter S OWB $45

Tucker Gunleather HF1 Belt Holster $85 for basic model

Also under consideration is the Alessi Close Covert, but I couldn't find a good pic of it.

What about this lineup

2. Remove Ads

Allessi and Milt Sparks will both make you a holster which will blow you away in terms of quality, design and comfort. A Hume will work well, but will leave something to be desired. A Rafter will be much better than the Hume, but maybe just an 1/8th step behind the Allessi or MS. I don't have any experience with DeSantis. I use Rafter, Allessi and Milt Sparks gear on a regular basis. I feel that all three are quite comparable. Generally, I find the Allessi and Milt Sparks gear to be just slightly more developed. If budget is a concern, buy Rafter S gear and don't look back. I think their mag holder and Flashlight holder are great. i just got one each in shark clip on. I'm happy!

I just got a Rafter S IWB for my 1911; so, I'm familiar with their product. I do intend to order a couple of their mag pouches. Rafter S needs to upgrade their webpage to include a list of models they make holsters for and for some of their other products. I like their IWB, but I am a little concerned about weapon retention in their OWB. This holster will be worn on duty.

Alessi is a top notch guy. I'd love to buy from him again.

Budget is an issue here because this is for an issued gun. I do own the same model of firearms personally, but it was my first duty weapon and enjoys a special status.

I like the looks of the DeSantis due to price and the tension adjustment option.

I'd go Milt Sparks just by reputation alone.

Hello, this is my first post (like you guys can't see the #1 by it). I just got my order from Milt Sparks (VM-II and a #60TK-which is similar to the 55BN but higher riding) and I couldn't be happier. Order it from them if you can take the wait, or contact lightningarms.com. If they have it in stock, it's at your door in about three days, from what I've heard.
    PS: If you can, go for the shark skin, it's very nice.

DC Founder
    Welcome, DeepHelmet, glad to have you join us.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Ive got a couple of don hum rigs there not bad and mostly have them becuse hey will make certain styles that other wont for some of the bigger guns ..ie Hk Usp 45

That said i really like my desantis its a iwb but if the quailty and comfort of it run all there line of holsters its the best ive tried so far

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    I like the looks of the DeSantis . . . and the tension adjustment option.
    That is a concern IMHO. . .A good holster doesn't need or leave you wanting tension adjustment.

For my .02 cents, the one enduring quality in an IWB especially is a neat little guard (be it leather or kydex) that keeps the gun from digging into my "love handles" that have turned into "lifting bars." An OWB has to ride at the correct height and draw angle to be comfortable, stable, secure, and smooth.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I prefer IWB for CCW, but this holster will be worn on duty. Budget is a bit of a concern for several reasons. One, the pistol it is for is an issued pistol. Second, I would be very upset to sink top quality money into a super custom made rig only to have it get all scrathed up due to fighting with a perp somewhere.

Duty Rig

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    I would be very upset to sink top quality money into a super custom made rig only to have it get all scrathed up due to fighting with a perp somewhere.
    For duty I'd have to go with KYDEX. Unless there is a retention issue and IIRC, there are also Retention type holsters made in Kydex. I think Black Hawk sells one of these.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have a few Kydex holsters, and I like them. Blackhawk does have a retention holster in Kydex, but they don't offer it for the 4006. :(

One negative of Kydex is that it was scratching my nice new belt. :(

FIST makes an interesting looking high ride version.

Links