K&D Defender vs. Max Con V vs. Versa Max 2

This is a discussion on K&D Defender vs. Max Con V vs. Versa Max 2 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in getting some nice leather for IWB carry. Reading here, the following have risen to the top of my list: - K&D Dakota ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&D Defender vs. Max Con V vs. Versa Max 2

I'm interested in getting some nice leather for IWB carry. Reading here, the following have risen to the top of my list:

- K&D Dakota Defender
    - Brommeland Max-Con V
    - Milt Sparks Versa Max 2
    - ???

I'm wondering if anyone has more than one of these and could talk about the pros and cons of the various designs.

Ok, I know all these are all really nice and I'm not trying to start a 'this is best' kind of thing. Since every design has trade offs, I'm interested to see what the trade-offs are for these holsters or any other insights you might offer.

And yes, I know K&D and MS have like a 10 week wait and GB isn't taking orders. The way I figure it, I'd better order something now so I'll have it in 10 weeks!

Thanks,

-john

You've narrowed down to three of the best IWB holsters. Of those I think the K&D is the most versatile since it's adjustable.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

If time is a factor, Milt Sparks is much longer than 10 weeks (last I heard), and like you said Gary Brommeland is not taking orders right now. I have a MaxCon V on order but don't have any experience with any of them yet.

I agree - you can't go wrong with any of them, but the reality is that time is a factor here, right? GB isn't taking orders, and MS wait time will be (a lot) longer than 10 weeks. All things being equal, though, the K&D might be better anyway. There are some cosmetic differences, but they're all fantastic and from very reputable dealers. I would suggest, though, that you give UBG some thought. He's gotten some really good reviews of late, and his prices are certainly reasonable.

cw

The VMII is a great holster I have two that I use with two different weapons. Very comfortable and conceal great. Unfortunately I think the wait right now is around 22-24 weeks from some other posts I read. You can usually find some on ebay and on the forums for sale though. The K&D holsters look great and get very good reviews. I am waiting on an Eagle Defender right now my self. I should be getting it in the next couple of weeks I think.

Milt Sparks are on a 16 - 20 week wait - I do have two VM2's and they are excellent holsters.
    K & D Defenders are just as good with much less of a wait and you just can't find a nicer guy!!
    Go with K & D

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Milt Sparks are on a 16 - 20 week wait - I do have two VM2's and they are excellent holsters.
    K & D Defenders are just as good with much less of a wait and you just can't find a nicer guy!!
    Go with K & D
    ++1

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Have you considered one of these? Not exactly the same, but it is from a reputable company, and the turnaround should be quicker. http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=95
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It's looking like an easier and easier choice! :-)

IF, thanks. I have a number of Comp-Tac holsters* and do like them. I'm not overly attracted to the MTAC style hybrids since I don't mind kydex by itself so the hybrids don't seem to offer much over C-TAC for me.

Thanks,

-john

* Ironically, a new one just showed in the mail today. I got a Pro-Undercover as a clip-and-go holster.

I like the Milt Sparks "Watch Six", which I think is more comparable to the MaxCon since it does not have a reinforced mouth like the Versa Max does. That makes it a bit thinner. That being said, for concealed carry I prefer the Watch Six.

Yes, it's about 16-20 weeks from Sparks. I've got an order pending there that I expect about mid-September. Order now for Christmas!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    K&D I believe is running closer to 12-16 weeks...least that was my estimate....when I ordered on Monday. However...YMMV
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    K&D I believe is running closer to 12-16 weeks...least that was my estimate....when I ordered on Monday. However...YMMV
    Just placed an order today, was told the same thing.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I'm interested in getting some nice leather for IWB carry. Reading here, the following have risen to the top of my list:

- K&D Dakota Defender
    - Brommeland Max-Con V
    - Milt Sparks Versa Max 2
    I have 6 MS VMII's-only waited 5 months for the 1st one. I also have a KD Dakota which is a VERY fine, well made rig for much less moolah, much less wait. And the boss actually takes time to answer emails! (MS is not big on that).

I have a Brommeland MaxCon V on order so can't comment on it till it gets here.

You can't go wrong on any of these holsters, but to ME> for reasonable price, quality, craftsmanship and turnaround its KD!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by skvinson View Post
    If time is a factor, Milt Sparks is much longer than 10 weeks (last I heard), and like you said Gary Brommeland is not taking orders right now. I have a MaxCon V on order but don't have any experience with any of them yet.
    I just ordered another VM II. This time for my SIG 220R Carry SAO and the wait time is 26 weeks. Good products take time.

Does the R&D have a steel mouth to ensure the holster stays open after the draw? I'd looked at the R&D specifically for that feature like on the VMII and didn't see it mentioned.

Automan,

I don't think that it is steel, but my Cochise Defender does have a reinforced mouth allowing easy reholstering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links