Appendix Carry - holster questions

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry - holster questions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, If you carry in the appendix position (forward of the strong-side hip, between hip & belly button), what holster do you use? Why ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry - holster questions

Appendix Carry - holster questions

Hi all,

If you carry in the appendix position (forward of the strong-side hip, between hip & belly button), what holster do you use?

Why did you choose that holster? What features were you looking for?

Have you modified your holster in any way? If so, what did you change and why?

Thanks,

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

2. Remove Ads

I myself like this kind of carry for small pistols and I've tried the insider holster from Desantis for a few different guns and it worked out good. Its made of soft leather and sets the gun deep into the waistband. But i think that im going to get a Comp-tac 2'oclock holster for my new Kel-tec pf-9 . This Kydex holster is made specifically for this kind of carry.

HARDCORE

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I only use it for small guns also....works great with my 442...a single attachment with a straight drop seems to be a good combination for appendix....if you don't like a clip, you can get a single snap....bigger guns are harder to wear this way as it makes sitting more difficult...and if there is too much butt it won't hide all that well....

If it is for a revolver, another good option is to get an off center clip...less bulky than having it over the cylinder.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I probably carry more in the front than most (About 1230 or so). I look for straight-drop, relatively low riding holsters.

I've used leather, kydex, & nylon, so this is what I've found works for me. Nylon isn't comfortable (To me) over long periods, but since they're not molded, they can hold more than one make/model of gun. Kydex is more comfortable than nylon, but not quite good as leather. However, it keeps moisture (Sweat) away from the gun better than the others & is generally thinner (Helps in comfort & great for tuckables). Leather's the most comfortable & best looking, IMHO. It's not the best in summer, but definitely what I prefer if it's not too hot.

For leather, I use UBG holster (The Nassar model), it was made for that. For kydex, I use the Fist #8 (Ultra-thin). Both are tuckable.

For short periods & for a new gun that I don't have a holster for, I use a Desantis Stealth. It's also a straight drop holster & has an elastic pouch for an extra mag, which you can get to with your weak hand since it's in front of your hip (Another advantage of appendix carry, along with being able to access the gun with your weak hand too, if need be).

I really haven't had to modify my holsters. If you're looking for a leather one, I'd highly recommend UBG holsters. His 3rd IWB model was initially made for appendix carry (I believe).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I just settled into a long wait for an Alessi APX for my 442.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

BTW, a shorter gun isn't necessarily more comfortable (Although it also depends on where, in front of the hip you're carrying it). I believe both Mr. Brommeland & Mr. Garrity had made that comment, & I've found it to be true. My Kahr is fairly comfortable to appendix carry, but my Glock 19 is more so. It doesn't dig like the Kahr does, it just sort of lays against the leg.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; August 1st, 2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added info
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I use a Galco Stow n Go for my issue SIG 229 when flying armed and to/from work off duty. I also bought a Don Hume straight drop IWB leather holster for the same job but I find it digs into my leg due to the thicker leather. The Galco is suede and molds to the body.

Off duty, I carry a Glock 36 in a FIST KB #1 straight drop with ultra thin kydex and suede covered. It's so thin that I don't notice the holster at all. I plan on ordering teh Comp-tac 2 O'clock for it to see how that holds up since it's made for that position.

not really related to forum but just out of curiocity, just wondering
    what semper fi means.hope its not a stupid question but seen it
    alot on this forum anquite a few bumper stickers
    thanks in andvance for info.

Comp-tac 2 o'clock

I am thinking about a Comp-tac 2 o'clock IWB tuckable for appendix carry of a Kahr MK9. I believe that for comfortable appendix carry you need a short barrel, thin gun with an abbreviated grip.

Comp-tac webpage

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I just settled into a long wait for an Alessi APX for my 442.

If that has the talon clip, just remember it goes under the belt...I had an Alessi Talon and almost broke the clip tyring to get it over my belt...I called Lou and he set me straight...

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    not really related to forum but just out of curiocity, just wondering
    what semper fi means.hope its not a stupid question but seen it
    alot on this forum anquite a few bumper stickers
    thanks in andvance for info.

Marine Corps motto - Latin for always faithful.

The United States Marine Corps adopted the motto, Semper Fidelis in 1883, on the initiative of Colonel Charles McCawley (January 29, 1827 – October 13, 1891), the 8th Commandant of the Marine Corps.

There were three mottos prior to Semper Fidelis including "Fortitudine" (meaning "with courage") antedating the War of 1812, which was a nod to the British Royal Marines, "Per Mare, Per Terram" ("by sea, by land") and, up until 1843, there was also the motto "To the Shores of Tripoli". "Semper fidelis" (Meaning "Always faithful") signifies the dedication and loyalty that individual Marines are expected to have for "Corps and Country", even after leaving service. The Marines frequently shorten the motto to "Semper Fi." (Wikipedia)
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I never wonder anymore with Google....:)

Short for "Semper Fidelis" which is latin for "Always Faithful"

I have been thinking about carrying in the 1:00 position. Which would mean a cross draw, as I am left handed.

But I am not sure how comfortable it will be when sitting down. But I like the feel of the draw from this position along with making it easier to lift/untuck my shirt with the right hand. Plus it it allows turning of the body (giving a smaller target) as I quarter away to the left. Of course it would reuire a lot of body turn in order quarter away to the right if it was the only way I could go. (maybe I am thinking too much on this)

I've used my Huntington Wedge in an Appendix postion several times, as well as cross-draw:

http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/...btnSearch.y=11

I modified nothing (I would never recommend modifying a custom leather holster). I wanted a straight drop ("0" cant) OWB. The "wedge" helps keep the butt of the pistol (Glock 17) close to my torso.
    Attached Images

Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean by or what you'd "modify", especially if it's leather.

Personally, I found that just to the right of my zipper (I'm RH) works great. I didn't find my Commander sized 1911 comfortable there, but had no problems with the Glock 19. My old G-26 & Taurus PT145 Mil Pro worked well, too, but they were a little thick & they dug into me a little. My Kahr PM9 does dig in some, but isn't too bad, but my G-19 is just right.
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links