Glock Holster Safety Recall

Glock Holster Safety Recall

This is a discussion on Glock Holster Safety Recall within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05175.html CPSC, Michaels of Oregon Announce Recall of Handgun Holsters Released: May 17, 2005 WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the ...

Thread: Glock Holster Safety Recall

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar

Arrow Glock Holster Safety Recall

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05175.html

CPSC, Michaels of Oregon Announce Recall of Handgun Holsters
    Released: May 17, 2005

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
    Name of Product: Kydex Belt Holsters for Glock model handguns
    Units: About 8,000
    Manufacturer: Michaels of Oregon, of Oregon City, Ore.
    Hazard: The holster’s retention strap can move out of position and could cause a handgun to unexpectedly discharge while being re-holstered, posing a serious injury risk to consumers.
    Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received three reports of unexpected discharges. In one incident, a law enforcement officer was shot in the leg while re-holstering his firearm.
    Description: The recall includes Kydex Belt and Tactical Holsters with thumb break fits for Glock model handguns. The holsters are rigid and are made of black Kydex and come with tension screws for a proper fit. The words, “Uncle Mike’s by Michaels of Oregon” are printed on the back of the holster. The recall involves sizes 12, 21, and 25, which is printed on the inside of the holster between the two screws securing the holster to the belt slide.
    Sold through: Uncle Mike’s and Uncle Mike’s Law Enforcement catalogs and at sporting goods stores and gun supply stores nationwide from January 2002 through October 2002 for between $25 and $50.
    Manufactured in: United States
    Remedy: Consumers who have purchased a Kydex Holster with a Thumb break for a Glock Handgun should stop using it immediately and contact Michaels of Oregon for a replacement retention strap free of charge.
    Consumer Contact: Call Michaels of Oregon at (800) 471-4999 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or visit their Web site at www.michaeloforegon.com

Boy the kydex holsters are having a bad deal with the glock first fobus now these

Administrator

Just My Opinion

All of this could be avoided if folks would just buy high quality leather holsters.
    That being said...I don't know why a properly designed Kydex holster would even need a retention strap at all.
    I also cannot imagine why anyone would want to even own an Uncle Mikes Kydex holster in the first place & for sure not for serious concealed carry purposes.
    Unless...it is just to try and save some money because they are fairly inexpensive.
    But, your defensive firearm "carry" holster is NOT the place to try and save money.
    Just my very humble opinion.
    You can broil me if you want to....I can take it.

I have to agree with ya QK! I've seen alot of people spend big $$$ on a nice carry gun then want to stuff it in a POS holster for $25. The thought of "trying it out" on the cheap doesn't really hold water cause you'll never duplicate the "carrying feel" of quality leather from some cheap Kydex holster! Don't really want to offend anyone using Uncle Mikes, just my opinion and a little common sense.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

I know some people buy them to try out different ways of carry and to see if they like that gun for carry b4 they spend the $$$ for good leather what are ya out if you dont like the gun or iwb owb paddle etc etc your out a 20 spot ...

Course i dont do that but i know a few who do

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I know some people buy them to try out different ways of carry and to see if they like that gun for carry b4 they spend the $$$ for good leather what are ya out if you dont like the gun or iwb owb paddle etc etc your out a 20 spot ...
    Point taken Bud...but for instance, can you really get the feel of carrying from a shoulder holster by using an el cheapo...I personally don't think so.

My buddy picks an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster to "give it a try" carrying his new Kimber midsize. We walk into the diner/bar to grab a burger. He drops his keys and bends over to retrieve...yup...the Kimber falls out on the floor in front of God and everyone. Doubt this would happen with a decent rig.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Administrator

Deke45

To be honest with all of you...I have not been keeping up with the latest innovations in Kydex AKA Synthetic holsters.
    I admit it...I love leather holsters.
    I am best guessing that there are SOME makers making some really worthwhile Kydex holsters these days. Sidearmor FIST ???
    I am not too fond of either UncMikeys or Fobus Kydex holsters because I don't think they allow the firearm to be pulled in to the body tight enough. The Mikes paddle holsters are a joke (at least they were) ~ I honestly don't know if they have totally redesigned them or not.
    All the cows in the world had better run & hide because I'm sticking with fine leather.

I (for sure) am still gonna to like people that choose Kydex...it's a personal decision. But, if they have never worn or carried a high quality properly constructed leather rig then they don't know what they are missing out on.

Your probley right there Deke but i will say i got a cheepy shoulder holster to try out most of the Higher doller ones switch some what but they dont come cheeply for the gun i want course this is a freeby from gun shot to try out so well see ...

QK im not a big kydex user either i have one and if i knew then what i know now i wouldnt even own that one rest are leather with 2 nylons the freebie try out holster and a uncle mikes for hunting use just dont find a good leather holster that carrys the 454 super redhawk with red dot on it

Administrator
    I am really going to hafta start taking a hard look at what is being recently made in Nylon & Kydex these days.
    I actually am a pretty OPEN MINDED guy & if there are TOTALLY FANTASTIC Kydex holsters "out there" then I wouldn't mind knowing about them.
    I could see the Ballistic Nylon & the tri~laminates working and acting more like natural leather.

My personal motto is: If it never went "MOO" then it's not for me and it's for YOU!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    To be honest with all of you...I have not been keeping up with the latest innovations in Kydex AKA Synthetic holsters.
    I admit it...I love leather holsters.

All the cows in the world had better run & hide because I'm sticking with fine leather.

I (for sure) am still gonna to like people that choose Kydex...it's a personal decision. But, if they have never worn or carried a high quality properly constructed leather rig then they don't know what they are missing out on.
    I agree with ya QK. I'm stickin with Leather holsters.. That plastic stuff doesn't flex like a Moooooooo cow holsters.

DC Founder
    I agree, too. I was partial to leather even when I was buying cheap holsters. Now that I have custom leather IWB and OWB holsters, I am getting rid of all of the others. Once I get a high quality leather shoulder holster I like, hopefully I can quit buying holsters for awhile.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Bumper,

The ONLY shoulder holster I could tolerate was the Jackass. It is currently made by Galco and it was actually comfortable (I have/had an original made by the prior company).

http://www.usgalco.com/Marketing/Jackass.htm

Back to the problem I reported. Cheap holsters are easy to find in gun shops, gun shows, so we tend to buy them. The real good stuff (e.g. Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, etc.) are NOT usually available anywhere but to mail-order/phone order direct and wait months.

When I NEEDED a couple of holsters for new guns, I could get Fobus or Uncle Mike's almost anywhere, so I bought them.

It was only after I spent serious money on professional defensive handgun training with Jim Crews last year that I got to see and "sample" some high quality holsters. That convinced me to spend the money and wait for them! Well worth the difference, but we each have to be convinced one at a time.

Sponsored Links