Defensive Carry banner

OWB holster for M&P compact for a lefty???

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MNBurl 
#1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for a good leather or kydex OWB holster (no thumb breaks) for the M&P Compacts made for left handers? Thanks.

#2 ·
If you're looking for kydex, it's pretty hard to go wrong w/ Comp-tac

Their belt slide is well made and very reasonably priced.
Link to their site: http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=66

As far as leather holsters go, the only pistol I carry OWB right now is an HK P7M8 in a Josh Bulman QRH holster. Everything else I carry IWB. I copied a pic from his website:

This style of holster, I believe was originally designed by Lou Alessi, and has been emulated by most of the top makers now. It is very well designed, easy to put on and take off, and amazingly stable, even while carrying the P7M8 which is very short muzzled, and grip heavy.

Choosing a leather holster is much harder IMHO than finding kydex. I think that most kydex is very similar in construction and the differences in style are minimal. Most of the difference shows up in fit and finish, such as how well the edges are melted/ softened, how well the kydex is molded to the shape of the pistol, etc. Leather on the other hand is a whole 'nother ball game. There are dozens of different designs and a hundred different makers. Of the ones that I have purchased and personally tried, you really can't go wrong with anything from Lou Alessi, Matt Del Fatti, Mark Garrity, Milt Sparks, Josh Bulman, Brommeland Gunleather, 5shot Gunleather etc. The list goes on and on, but in my experience these are some, but certainly not all, of the premier leather holster makers. Do a forum search and you will find plenty of others who have the same high regard for these makers. What I can tell you though, is that each and every one of these makers is currently up the their ears in orders. Some have wait lists as long as two years, most are somewhere between 3 and 6 months for a wait list.

Whichever way you decide to go, do your homework carefully. There have been a lot of stories circulating about how some new up-and-comer is great and such and such, but beware of prepaying for holsters unless you've done your homework. I decided to try one of these new holstermaker's and $50 later, no holster and the guy is in the wind. No more website, no response to emails, sayanora sucker! Also be aware of the wait time, and most of all Be Patient. Most of the top makers are small outfits and are limited by what they can produce.

My experience w/ kydex is pretty limited, but it seems to be a much quicker process. From what I've read, the general opinion of outfits like Comp-Tac, Fist Inc., Blade-Tech, Kytac, & Side-armor, to name a few, are considered to be top-notch. But as I said, my personal experience is limited. I just ordered a hybrid holster from Comp-tac and will be eager to try it out.

Oh and any and all good makers will be able to accomodate us other handers. Good luck with your decision! :bier:

#4 ·
Any good custom holster maker can make a left handed holster. I like Sparks, Rosen and Matt Del Fatti myself.

I have heard good things about Kevin at K&D, and Josh Bulman as well, I just don't own any leather by them yet. CompTac does a good Kydex Holster if you like "plastic".

All of the "mass produced" holster makers, Galco, Safariland, Bianchi etc make left handed holsters as well. I find that a well made handmade holster tends to "hide" a little better when mated with the proper belt.

Biker :tumbleweed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.