Paddle holsters any good?

This is a discussion on Paddle holsters any good? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky I like my paddle option for my Blackhawk serpa holster over the belt slide. It rides more comfortably and is easy ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddle holsters any good?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I like my paddle option for my Blackhawk serpa holster over the belt slide. It rides more comfortably and is easy to take off/put on , yet stays put on my belt.
    I don't usually wear OWB, but I too like my J Frame Serpa.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs down

I think they are fine for the range. As previously mentioned the Comp-Tac pulls in somewhat closer than Fobus. My personal experience is that Fobus does not place or pull the firearm close enough to the body for the best concealment.
    A decently long time ago I decided that I would never use a paddle rig for daily carry and so I have really not ever looked at or seriously considered any of them recently.
    There may be better paddle designs out in the marketplace these days that pull the carry gun in closer.
    Unless a person absolutely NEEDS to remove and replace the holster and firearm often I would always go with a high quality OWB holster over a paddle design as my first choice for daily carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

During cooler weather with any kind of jacket I carry paddle quite often. Light jacket season I normally wear a waist length, baseball, team jacket, so a high ride paddle holster is a must!

I have found the Desantis NYPAD holster to be durable, comfortable and stays in place very well. This holster is also lined, which I like very much. I due prefer the thumb break model compared to the open top, (I have both).

To tuck this holster in tight to my body I modified the top of the paddle by removing the holster from it and bending the kydex on a vice with help from a heat gun. Made a BIG difference for concealment!!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Administrator

Post That sounds like a good idea.

Modify the paddle to pull the firearm in closer if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    To tuck this holster in tight to my body I modified the top of the paddle by removing the holster from it and bending the kydex on a vice with help from a heat gun. Made a BIG difference for concealment!!!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have had experience with safariland , and galco paddles , both are ok for light dutys . Comfortable , reasonably secure , ect.. If your working in the yard , or running to the office to sign an affidavit i recomend them .. for day to day use tho ... well ... lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think it depends on your needs. For CC, I'd say no, they typically don't ride tight enough to the body.

For the range or even LE (I carried one almost exclusively in the Detective Bureau), it's fine & defenitely has it's pluses.

I've found that a good paddle rides pretty secure (Good ones, anyways), & have the advantage of being easy on/off. Which is great for the range & certain LE jobs if there's a need to take your gun off (Like interviewing in a jail or holding cell, etc.).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

K & D Holsters makes a great one!!

http://www.kdholsters.com/basefile/owb-defend.html

VIP Member
    I can also recommend the Kramer MSP paddle - it has worked well for three people I know who carry S&W 19s in theirs. Also, the Woman's Paddle Holster (also from Kramer) has gotten a very favorable review from the one female I know that uses it.

I use the Safariland 560-54 quite often and find it very stable, secure, and fast. It is very difficult to conceal without a jacket, vest, or a long, un-buttoned, un-tucked shirt.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I picked one up recently at a local gun show. They can be very convenient and comfortable. I have a little issue with mine as it does stand out from my body a bit more than I would like. It will be fine when jacket weather comes back, but I don't think I will use it much during T-shirt weather.
    +1. Fobus was the only paddle holster i tried (and i tried and own a few) that stayed tight to the body. i just don't one yet because they really don't favor lefties.
    What's this button do?

The last class I took there was a couple of people using paddles, they kept having problems with the holsters coming out with the gun and the mag pouch coming out with the mags. I'm not sure what brand they were. I've used Galco paddles before, and they seemed to do OK in cooler weather.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Trying to detach my Serpa holster with the paddle from my clothing results in a quite undignified struggle.

I have only 2 paddle holsters...I seldom use them...
    One from HighNoon, and the other from Galco...I still prefer the IWB holsters for comfort and easy removal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thumbs down

I have had paddle holsters with my glock 19. ONCE I went out into the woods and hiked for 5 miles with the paddle holster. When I got back to camp, all I wanted to do was take it off!!! Granted I am a girl and they ride different. They are not good for daily use. The holster dug into my leg, hip area.
    I also noticed that if you do not have a sturdy gun belt (Sometimes even if you do) the gun will not come out of the holster. The holster comes out with the gun. I have heard you can hang upside down by the gun. It clicks in well, but does not always come out. They are adjustable, so they can change the tightness and the cant.
    I just do not care for them.
    Happiness is a warm 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by KahrGirl View Post
    I have had paddle holsters with my glock 19. ONCE I went out into the woods and hiked for 5 miles with the paddle holster. When I got back to camp, all I wanted to do was take it off!!! Granted I am a girl and they ride different. They are not good for daily use. The holster dug into my leg, hip area.
    I also noticed that if you do not have a sturdy gun belt (Sometimes even if you do) the gun will not come out of the holster. The holster comes out with the gun. I have heard you can hang upside down by the gun. It clicks in well, but does not always come out. They are adjustable, so they can change the tightness and the cant.
    I just do not care for them.
    Who made the paddle you had?

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have used the Kramer MSP paddle for years with both semi-autos and wheelguns with great success. Rides high and tight, conceals as well as any other high dollar rig and it's construction is excellent. It may be expensive but well worth every penny if you chose to use a paddle rig.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links