Paddle holsters any good?

This is a discussion on Paddle holsters any good? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never used a paddle holster - I was looking at the paddle from Comp-tac. Are they stable? Any drawbacks to them? They look very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddle holsters any good?

Paddle holsters any good?

I've never used a paddle holster - I was looking at the paddle from Comp-tac. Are they stable? Any drawbacks to them? They look very convienent and fast to put on/take off.

2. Remove Ads

Depends

A quality paddle holster is good. They allow for easy on/off, repositioning for sitting if needed, taking off to drive, etc. They are not as sturdy as some other options as they are often only held on by 2 bolts. This could allow for someone to grab your gun and yank, possibly breaking the 2 bolts. I have never heard of this happening in real life, but I have seen a video of it on U-Tube with the fobus. Like with every holster it has its uses, and I like them, but they are not perfect for every situation.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

~Sigmund Freud.

VIP Member
    My experience with paddle holster has been poor. They are hard for me to put on and take off. But I still own one but never use it. Its in the old holster pile.

I picked one up recently at a local gun show. They can be very convenient and comfortable. I have a little issue with mine as it does stand out from my body a bit more than I would like. It will be fine when jacket weather comes back, but I don't think I will use it much during T-shirt weather.

I've had a couple different paddle holsters, Uncle Mike's, Fobus, etc,. and prefer a paddle to the belted style.

YMMV
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

Comp-tac's paddle holsters are awesome. The paddle is not bolted to the holster body as it is all made from a single piece of kydex making it very strong. The fit on all mine have been absolutely perfect, they hold the gun securely, have adjustable tension, sit close to the body, and are stable on your hip. I prefer the FBI Paddle as the forward cant makes the pistol a little easier to conceal.

I have fobus paddle holsters for all my handguns..they work for me!..check out the fobusholster.com website..they make one for practically every handgun in existance

I do NOT have experience with Comp-tac. I do have a Blade-Tech Injection Molded Paddle Holster for my Glock 17. The paddle made the holster stick out too much from my body. I changed it from the paddle to a belt slide and now I am happy with it. The Comp-Tac is a deferent design; It might not stand off the belt as much as a Blade-Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    Comp-tac's paddle holsters are awesome. The paddle is not bolted to the holster body as it is all made from a single piece of kydex making it very strong. The fit on all mine have been absolutely perfect, they hold the gun securely, have adjustable tension, sit close to the body, and are stable on your hip. I prefer the FBI Paddle as the forward cant makes the pistol a little easier to conceal.
    Does the "paddle" part of the holster go totally inside your pants? Or do they just slip behind the belt only and nothing inside your pant? Thanks.

I guess either is possible, but it is designed to go inside your waistband.

Can you wear a paddle behind the hip? Or are they made to ride directly on the hip - at 3 or 9 o'clock depending on your shooting hand?

My paddle was comfy from 2-5 oclock.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Lead Moderator
    I like my paddle option for my Blackhawk serpa holster over the belt slide. It rides more comfortably and is easy to take off/put on , yet stays put on my belt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My experience was they are nice to slip on and off, like for the range or out in the field, but did not sit in close enough to the body for concealed carry. Of course this could vary depending on the maker of the holster and who was wearing it.

If you're in the position where you have to put on/take off on on a regular basis, several times a day, the paddle holster is the way to go. In my experience, the Safariland 518 works well for medium-size revolvers like a Security Six. Well made and the hook's in the right place. Right now, I'm using a Galco Speed Paddle with an SP101snubby, and it works well with this smaller revolver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links