IWB pants size

This is a discussion on IWB pants size within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you carry IWB do you find that you have to "up-size" your pants waist size or does the rig fit fine in what size ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB pants size

Distinguished Member

IWB pants size

When you carry IWB do you find that you have to "up-size" your pants waist size or does the rig fit fine in what size you normally wear. Or does it also make a difference as to what size gun you are carrying. I am planning on getting a rig to carry IWB and hope I don't need to change clothing size or wife will say I getting fat!!

SleepingZ

2. Remove Ads

IMO wearing the same size pant with IWB is a combo that will have you hating the setup and IWB carry. Depending on the pant of course, some fit looser. I am a 34 waist and I go with a 36 pant and a good belt. It's also important to watch your length and go a little longer if you're going to carry on the ankle.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    When you carry IWB do you find that you have to "up-size" your pants waist size ...
    Of course, everything depends on where your fit sits, between tight or loose. If loose, it can probably fit okay. If not, not. Me, I need to upsize the pants a bit, to handle IWB. I also choose "tall" variations of shirts, and often a size larger to accommodate bulges due to the gun. Everyone's different, and even different across the year if you change size/weight a bit. And yes, it does vary a little by gun/holster you carry, due to how much a given combo will add.

hope I don't need to change clothing size or wife will say I getting fat!!
    Can't help you, there. Suck it up, buddy!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

ckd
    The bane of IWB, the stuff no one mentions, new belts and pants. Agreed, a two inch increase is probably the norm.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I have to agree with the up size in pants. Otherwise, it is truly uncomfortable.

There is one exception for me, at least. If I use appendix carry, then I can get away with my regular size (34.) There is a little more give in the gut.

What semper fi said.

What Semper Fi said with the exception of some pants with elastic waistband.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    alot depends on how tight you currently wear your britches. If you normally wear them tight enough to go without a belt, then yeah.. you'll have to go up a size. If not, then you might be able to add a IWB holster (talkin' quality here) without too much discomfort.

But realize this ... if you don't buy and wear a quality belt designed to carry a weapon, then it really won't matter what your pants size is. You'd be surprised the difference this makes!
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I've been carrying IWB for the last twenty years. You will increase your pant's size 1'-2" in the waist.

I reccommend a 2" increase in girth size. By the time you add the holster, gun and whatnot you will be glad you increased the size two inches. If you are carrying a 1911 you may be able to get away with a 1" increase, but just about every other gun/holster combination will need a 2" increase.

Welcome to the world of IWB.

Biker

VIP Member
    It totally depends on how tight you wear your pants!

For Godís sake, it's not rocket science! Can you easily slide your IWB holster in your pants without discomfort? If you can, you don't need to size up!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I try to buy the pants with the elastic in part of the waistband. I buy my regular size pants. I use an IWB holster with a xd40sc. THe xd is pretty thick and I have no problem.

Distinguished Member

Thumper

Thanks for the reply---I forgot my rocket science cap, so I can not figure it out! If you read my thread it states that I am going to purchase a IWB holster, so I don't have one to try out. You are all excellent teachers, and I am just trying to learn, so keep teaching me!! Part of what I have learned is to be prepared, and that is what I was trying to do. It look like from the great advice that I received---probably need to purchase a few pair of new jeans in the next larger size so as to be ready when gun and holster show up. Thanks for all the great advice.

SleepingZ

If you can fit your gun and your hand inside your waistband and still be comfortable that waist size will work for IWB.

Austin

me
    I do have to upsize as well. My sister was standing behind me the other day and looked at my pants. She commented to my mom that they were too big and bunching in the back. Mom responded, that's cause his gun is on the outside and those pants were bought for it on the inside. I went from a 38 to a 40, YMMV.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Thanks for the reply---I forgot my rocket science cap, so I can not figure it out! If you read my thread it states that I am going to purchase a IWB holster, so I don't have one to try out. You are all excellent teachers, and I am just trying to learn, so keep teaching me!! Part of what I have learned is to be prepared, and that is what I was trying to do. It look like from the great advice that I received---probably need to purchase a few pair of new jeans in the next larger size so as to be ready when gun and holster show up. Thanks for all the great advice.

SleepingZ
    <- This little character means you are being razzed son!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links