Thumbs Down On Bell Charter Oak Holsters

Thumbs Down On Bell Charter Oak Holsters

This is a discussion on Thumbs Down On Bell Charter Oak Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made a HUGE blunder when I bought a holster for my Colt Cobra from Bell Charter Oak, pictured in this thread. The first thing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs Down On Bell Charter Oak Holsters

1943 - 2009

Thumbs down Thumbs Down On Bell Charter Oak Holsters

I made a HUGE blunder when I bought a holster for my Colt Cobra from Bell Charter Oak, pictured in this thread.

The first thing that caught my attention was that the leather is extremely thin and flexible, almost like suede. I've seen leather wallets that were thicker than this holster. Compared to my Max-Con V, well, there's no comparison. It's like comparing apples to oranges, literally.

Since the belt loop was a tight fit on my belt, I figured the holster might be OK anyway, since the Cobra is a lightweight gun and the thin leather wouldn't matter much. Then I tried wearing it. Look at the pic. It's obvious this is not a concealment holster. The only cover garment that will conceal this rig is my arctic parka.

Unfortunately, returning the holster is not an option. Bell Charter Oak's return policy is limited to defects in workmanship, so I'm stuck with it. In fact, that's exactly what they told me.

So I strongly recommend not doing business with Bell Charter Oak Holsters. Their products are inferior and their customer service is worse.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Um, to me that IS a defect in workmanship. What a joke, it look's like the old police issue (Barney Phife) holsters that flapped around away from the body.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Looks like you wanted to go with a retro designed holster. That's what you got. That's the way the hang because of they way they were built. The holsters designed like that stuck out just like that back in the days. They did a poor job of keeping the gun tucked in close to the body.

Not to juke you, but why didn't you buy from a well-known quality maker?

I'd send it back and request a refund, stating that if you don't get your money back you'll continue your PR campaign exposing their junk design and quality. I'd base this on their claim about the Super Sleuth given on their website: "Extremely concealable and effective." It's anything but that!

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I made a HUGE blunder when I bought a holster for my Colt Cobra from Bell Charter Oak, pictured in this thread.

The first thing that caught my attention was that the leather is extremely thin and flexible, almost like suede. I've seen leather wallets that were thicker than this holster. Compared to my Max-Con V, well, there's no comparison. It's like comparing apples to oranges, literally.

Since the belt loop was a tight fit on my belt, I figured the holster might be OK anyway, since the Cobra is a lightweight gun and the thin leather wouldn't matter much. Then I tried wearing it. Look at the pic. It's obvious this is not a concealment holster. The only cover garment that will conceal this rig is my arctic parka.

Unfortunately, returning the holster is not an option. Bell Charter Oak's return policy is limited to defects in workmanship, so I'm stuck with it. In fact, that's exactly what they told me.

So I strongly recommend not doing business with Bell Charter Oak Holsters. Their products are inferior and their customer service is worse.

Have you tried Milt Sparks? I have a number of VM-II IWB holsters and they are thick and work well. They have metal holding the holster mouth open when the handgun is drawn.

You could of course ship it back return receipt and dispute the charge with the credit card company.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    Looks like you wanted to go with a retro designed holster. That's what you got. That's the way the hang because of they way they were built. The holsters designed like that stuck out just like that back in the days. They did a poor job of keeping the gun tucked in close to the body.
    Yeah, I know how they're built. I know that's the way they hang. But not all of them. I wore Bianchi thumb-break holsters back in the 70s and they concealed hands down better than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Not to juke you, but why didn't you buy from a well-known quality maker?
    Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    Have you tried Milt Sparks? I have a number of VM-II IWB holsters and they are thick and work well. They have metal holding the holster mouth open when the handgun is drawn.
    Yes, I know all about Milt Sparks. I carried a Summer Special for many years. Why didn't I buy a Sparks? Maybe the 24 week wait might have something to do with it.

Look, guys, I'm not looking for advice. I'm not even looking for sympathy. (I can find that in the dictionary). I made a bad holster decision (something we've all done at one time or the other, right)? I am simply hoping to help others benefit from my experience so they don't get ripped off by Bell Charter Oak.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    I believe that Captain Crunch posted this thread as a "Heads Up" to other forum members as one place where not to buy a holster from.

It was intended to be a warning as to the overall quality of their rigs and leather - and the lack of a worthwhile company return policy.

It's exretremely difficult to tell just by looking at a web catalog photo how close any given holster will pull the firearm into the body.

Please be informed and assured of the fact that Captain Crunch knows his good holsters.

Sometimes though if a holster is needed PRONTO you pick a maker with a decent price - and the rig "in stock" and hope for a good one.

Sometimes you you get lucky and sometimes the rig is a wash out.

Thanks For The "Heads Up" Captain.
    Good looking out for our forum members.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    My dad had a similar holster for his DS and it didn't hold it in much closer...seems like any rig that just has a slot behind the holster is not going to pull it in very close...good lesson for everyone here...thanks for the heads up....fyi...it might not make a bd between the belt and pants for a lefty but if it has a thumb snap, it would have to go......might want to give it to a southpaw...:)

VIP Member
    Terry, this appears to be one of those "negative review" we have heard so much about. Thanks for the warning. Our members now know at least one holster maker to stay away from. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. I am sure that Captain Crunch knows his holsters. It's a shame that it wasn't a good holster & thanks for the heads up.

I was actually considering getting one of their holsters for an old revolver of mine. I guess for the same reason that Terry did so (Retro looks/styling).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member
    Thanks for taking the time Cap to give us a heads-up!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

looks like that one is Ebay bound...

Thanks for the heads up!!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Keep it in the glove box....this way, if you ever feel like taking your gun out of your belt rig on a long drive, it has something to protect it...or mount it in the house somewhere....maybe even mounted to the bed frame....you can always find a use for an old holster if you think hard enough

los
    In regard to the subject Holster,

Was it advertised to ride tight to the body once belted?

Did language contained in it's description and/or function specifically address concealability?

Just curious.

-Jimmy
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links