put together a custom order with K&D today

This is a discussion on put together a custom order with K&D today within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kevin from www.kdholsters.com PMed me today. He posts at www.shooterslobby.com under the name "K-Man". Anyway, "krang" a member both here and at the Lobby told ...

Thread: put together a custom order with K&D today

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar

Kevin from www.kdholsters.com PMed me today. He posts at www.shooterslobby.com under the name "K-Man". Anyway, "krang" a member both here and at the Lobby told him I was looking for a holster for my 4006; so, he contacted me (seems like good business sense to me).

Here is a pic of his Belt Defender "Eagle" model:

He does offer a non-carved model of the same holster with a price of $45 or $50. I can't remember exactly.

He sent me a pic of the Defender with a clip instead of the belt loops:

That inspired me a bit, and we set about PMing each other for a while. I was concernced that a clip only wouldn't hold the pistol close enough to the body. I was also worried about the holster coming off of the belt in a gun grab situation. So, I suggested that we do something like the Defender with the clip and a retention strap like on the Andrew's Leather McDaniel:

Another suggestion I had was to do a rear loop like on this Ted Blocker model with the clip on the back of the holster:

Later in the day I called Kevin, and we talked for a while about the design.

What we decided to do was the Defender with the clip on the back of the holster with the rear loop similar to the Blocker model. The thinking is that the holster could be clipped on the waistband/belt if in a rush. Under normal circumstances, the belt can be run through the rear loop for stability and to pull the holster tighter into the body. We also decided to put a thumbstrap on it as I will be wearing it on duty, and an open top holster might be too inviting for a gun grabber.

I'll be sure to post a review of the final product when it arrives, and I get a chance to test it. I still think that I want to try one with the strap like on the McDaniel model from Andrews. I ordered this first holster in black with a matching mag pouch.

I would like to note that Kevin actually ordered a cast model of the 4006 to use to build this 4006 holster; so, I sure hope that he sells plenty of holsters to make up his initial investment. All you S&W owners out there be sure to give him an order for one.

Here is a look at some of his other stuff. The pics were provided to me by a satisfied customer of K&D.

note: the extreme cant in the last pic is due to camera angle

and this one:

Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Nice leather....real nice detailing on the first one. The last pic I wasn't too thrilled with cause it really seemed to "bulge" out....could be the camera angle, but I had a similar look with my Galco SkyOp holster....I looked deformed around the beltline area....course that could blend with the rest of me but that particular area it is definitely "noticeable"
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

And the wait begins. But a great custom holster is worth it.
    What is the wait time?

I guess it depends on how quickly he gets the model pistol to use for molding. His webpage quotes a 2-3 week turn around.

I should clarify that the holster will be an OWB holster.
    Shooters' Legacy

Administrator

CombatEffective

Sounds to me like you have a real nice "well thunk out" custom holster coming your way. Congrats!
    I am best guessing that we'll be seeing some nice pics at a future point in time?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Nice looking leather, I'm sure it will serve you well.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Sounds to me like you have a real nice "well thunk out" custom holster coming your way. Congrats!
    I am best guessing that we'll be seeing some nice pics at a future point in time?
    Now whatever gave you that idea?
    Shooters' Legacy

Combateffective,

Thanks for the write up - I'm looking forward to making the holster/mag carrier for you.

Prospector,

You make a valid point regarding the bulge created oftentimes by an IWB holster. The camera angle/shot was not the best choice in this instance. My intent was to show a "straight on" type of shot. This particular holster is very versatile in it's ability to hide. Those are adjustable kydex clips that allow you to adjust the cant (bringing the holster closer into the body), as well as the depth (how low the holster goes down into the pants).

Thoughts, comments, and suggestions are always welcome.

Kevin is a real good guy-

I have 2 (had a 3rd) of his holsters and the ammo strip for my 642. He even custom made me a pocket holster for my PPK/S.

The holster was great, gun wasn't...gave the holster away to a guy from THR for use with his .380.

Kevin- A LONG, LONG while ago we were working together trying to make a speedloader holster that you were working with a Kydex guy for the inside, you were going to make the outside. I got busy and forgot to call, and I assume you had the same lifestyle...

Any update? If you forgot, no biggie. If you want to, you can reply here or email me at "aublatt2 at yahoo dot com" with any update, even if it's a "no can do!"

Also, what do you have for a mag holder for a P99 9mm?

Thanks,

M
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

Ex-MAHole:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Lot's been going on. Regardless, I'm sorry to say I won't be able to develop that as we discussed as I'm drastically cutting, if not altogether, the making of holsters.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Regards,
    K-Man

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man
    Ex-MAHole:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Lot's been going on. Regardless, I'm sorry to say I won't be able to develop that as we discussed as I'm drastically cutting, if not altogether, the making of holsters.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Regards,
    K-Man

Are you saying that you are getting out of the holster business?
    Shooters' Legacy

What'd I miss?

Kevin, this is a joke, right?!?
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

K-MAN SAY IT AINT SOooooooo!!!

Here is a K&D custom Holster that K-Man did for my Sig 229R DAK. Hope he doesn't quit. We'll loose a great holster maker.

Last edited by rcsc514; May 30th, 2005 at 12:15 AM.

Kevin is a good guy. He made a holster similar to what we had worked out for another customer. He was concerned that the rear loop made the front of the holster stick out too far. Instead of just making the holster and sending it to me, he sent me a message that he wanted to discuss the design. We had a couple of phone conversations about , and we may have come up with somehting else. If it looks like it will work, I'll let y'all know.
    Shooters' Legacy

Here are a couple of pics Kevin sent me of the holster in progress. It will be dyed black. I'll do a write up and pics of the final product once I receive it and have a chance to wear it.

Shooters' Legacy

Sponsored Links